How long to you feed?

twinkles

Reaction score
How long do you feed for? Do you offer both sides?? Or do you let lo feed until they stop or fall asleep?!

I tend to just give one side unless lo seems hungry still and usually she falls asleep or I stop when she's just playing!

Interested in everyone's ways of feeding x

just one side here to. unless especially fussy. x

I do one side until the swallowing slows down to suck swallow snooze suck swallow snooze. Then I put him over my shoulder and burp him. Then I offer the other (which he normally takes but not for as long. The next feed we start on the other boob first, and so on.
He won't always take much from the other boob but he normally does because he's a little chubby man :) xx

In the early days I did 1 booby per feed. This gave my nips chance to recover while my supply was getting established.

Now though I offer both sides as she's quite a size and needs more.

Pretty much the same as Cos.... If I am in a rush I do one breast as a snack. C is a hungry baby though xx

Just one side here too. Alternate sides each feed. Normally fed in bout 20 minutes now.

Using Tapatalk. Can't see tickers.

Do u stop the feed after so long if the start and stop or let lo stop/sleep/come off??? X

When it really slows down and I'm rubbing his cheeks etc and he's only doing the odd swallow then ill try to pull nipple slowly. If he doesn't let go and sucks I'll leave it a bit longer. Then I'll burp him and swap him over x

How long do u think ok average?? Lo can be on and off from 10 mins to an hour! X

Fin is 6 months and drains both breasts in 10-15 mins but when he was younger it took longer and could be 40 mins per feed xx

That's good to know its normal to feed for a while! X

My LO used to feed for about half an hour each time until she was at least 6 months. 90% of the time she only ever had one boob, would only offer second if she seemed hungry and frustrated with not getting enough from current boob. And yeah just used to let her go on until she stopped herself :D

Last edited:
I posted this in another thread Hun but I really helped me so sorry to repeat myself.... Watch the baby and not the clock, the feed will start with nice long rhythmic sucking and swallowing followed by shorter fluttery sucking. It may end with baby falling asleep or getting Fidgety.

C started off with 40 min feeds every two hours, the halved them at 10ish weeks but now has moved towards 40 mins every 3/4 hours at 16 weeks.

Xx

Harry is 20 weeks now and has 1 booby per feed about every 2/3 hours. But only feeds for 7-10mins at a time, he has always feels quickly though xx

My lo is 10 days old and can sometimes feed for over an hour! But he does fall asleep at the boob after 10 mins, I usually wake him by burping, put him back on the same boob, until he comes off, burp then offer the next boob. And then start with that one next feed.
when are you ladies doing a change? Before mid or after feed? Xx

always offer both boobs here and almost always takes both and always has done, is max feed time here is 10 mins but usually just 5 mins, hes 8 months.

Feeding can range from 10 to 25 minutes!! Usually M only takes one side but there have been a few feeds where I've had to offer the second! I alternate feeds so start with the opposite side next time.
I often wonder when I know she's drained out all the milk :/ I wind at the end of the feed but my mw did say bf babies don't really need winding?!

I always wind because I use shields and lo always has a good burp! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back