How long to finish a bottle

Hazel

Reaction score
At the moment Connie is on 120ml. She is finishing the bottle but it takes her an hour or more and usually falls asleep every 30ml for 5-10 minutes then wakes, has a bit more, falls asleep again repeatedly until it's finished. She is wanting the full amount but as it's taking her so long to finish it I'm worried that the bottle is out for too long and could go off. She is hungry but just seems to get bored and doses off. How long should it take for a baby her age to do a bottle?

If she is on formula have you tried teats that are a bit faster? Might be she is having to work really hard to get the milk out of them if they are slow flowing ones. I'd look in to checking what teats you are using and seeing if there is something else out there to try for her.

i would change the teats too the next stage up, my LO was doing this he would take forever
to finish his milk, he tired himself out sucking, once we changed his teats he was much better

yep ill 3rd that.caden was thesame when he was small and we changed the teat size and his feeding time went down to about 15 minutes including winding.

helsekia said:
yep ill 3rd that.caden was thesame when he was small and we changed the teat size and his feeding time went down to about 15 minutes including winding.

15 minutes :shock: !!!! That would mean I would have time for a bath :lol: . I didn't even know I could get different size teats :doh: , just looked at the bottles. I'll get DH to get some on way home from work, might give us more sleep starting from tonight :pray: . I really don't know what I would do without this forum.

When i was in hospital with Calum the NNEB's in the nursery part of the SCBU before he was allowed home said that a bottle should take no longer than 20 mins from start to finish and winding, any longer would mean that babe would be to tired and would effect further feeding. (They would stop feeding babies after 30 mins!)
As the others have said try a medium flow teat and see how you get on, also if you use formula i have found sometimes that there can be very small parts of formula that havent dissolved and block the teat!
Good Luck :hug:

I started using the medium flow teats from last night and it's changed my life :lol: . So much quicker and she's finishing the whole bottle completely now :D .

Hazel said:
I started using the medium flow teats from last night and it's changed my life :lol: . So much quicker and she's finishing the whole bottle completely now :D .

Wooo there you go :) Hopefully it'll continue this way :)

Yiiiippppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee! Supa stuff babes. Glad its made it easier for you. :hug:

1 HOUR! wow you have the patience of a saint :lol: :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back