• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How long is normal with nipple shields?

handbagqueen

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondered how long is normal for babies to feed using nipple shields? One mw told me that it'll take longer to feed with them as its harder for the milk to come out but just wanted to find out other peoples experiences.
Ta

I've been using them since the beginning pretty much so don't really have that much 'just nipple' experience to compare to. Oscar often falls asleep during a feed so feeds can take anything between 20 to 40 minutes (although one morning he fed continuously from 4am to 9am). That is just feeding time though, if he decides to try and knock off the nipple shields with his fists, things take a lot longer.

is that 20-40minutes just on one breast or do you offer him both mildly?

My midwife said to stick with one boob per feed. Also as he often falls asleep in the middle, if he's only been on for a while, I tend to change his nappy to wake him up a bit and then stick him back on the same boob. The midwife said that it'll help to ensure he is getting the real food bit of the milk that comes at the end instead of just the drink bit at the beginning.

Hope that helps :)

I know that Purple13 was using them right up until recently.. may even still be now and she has been feeding Connor exclusively til he was weaned :)

DebbieM said:
I know that Purple13 was using them right up until recently.. may even still be now and she has been feeding Connor exclusively til he was weaned :)

yup :D :D :D

i fed a little without them at first but connor struggled so much with his latch that i gave up bothering and stuck with the shields. and we're still going strong with them today and hopefully will be for a good long while yet :) :)

TBH i can't see why there would be any difference in the length of feeds with or without :think: they're always going to drink as much as they need, which will always vary depending on how hungry/tired/thirsty they are. connor would always take forever over his feeds when he was tiny (45 mins at least - and every 1.5 to 2 hours!) but now he just pleases himself. he's capable of draining a boob in under 5 minutes but chooses to feed for up to an hour sometimes; he treats it as his chill-out time, sort of equivalent to a nap.

have you tried the mam shields? i find that if you lick the back of them, they actually stick to the boob quite well. they're my shield of choice cos i co-sleep and they don't fall off - thus i don't have to wake up to replace them (unlike the rubbish avent & medela ones)

i've been using the avent ones and just bought some medela ones! Typical! Where do i get mam ones from? Only ever seen avent ones in the shop or boots own brand but they looked the same.

I used them right up until I had to switch to bottles

I used Avent ones but then heard about Mam ones and changed to them

U can get them from the Mam site - google Mam ;)

Bee said:

thanks bee- sometimes i do worry about myself! blonde, sleep deprived and have nappy brain- not a great combination! :rotfl:

yup - you can get the mam ones online, or also from jojo maman bebe if there's a branch near you. IMO they're definitely worth the effort of going to to get them

:hug: :hug: :hug:

handbagqueen said:
Bee said:

thanks bee- sometimes i do worry about myself! blonde, sleep deprived and have nappy brain- not a great combination! :rotfl:

No problem

I might have a spare set that haven't been used if u want them? The cardboard sleeve is missing but they haven't been used and u need to steralise them anyway

Bee said:
handbagqueen said:
Bee said:

No problem

I might have a spare set that haven't been used if u want them? The cardboard sleeve is missing but they haven't been used and u need to steralise them anyway

that would be great bee thank you!

I also used shields exclusively for a while but now dont need to and theres been no difference in how long a feed takes at all.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premhospital
Back