How do you stop a baby from sitting at night?

Duds

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks Aimee can sit up on her own and crawl about & its really affecting things at night.
She keeps waking at night and sitting up, crawling around her cot, screaming etc.. its like she is too tired to play but just cant help herself from moving about, its then a vicious circle as she gets overtired and WONT go back to sleep. she just cries shouts cries shouts.
I just cant help her, when i go in to confort her and lie her back down she goes mental ! She's not a baby that likes to be fussed & It doesnt help me being there or not

What can i do? is there anything that helps for getting them back to sleep? should i not roll her back over or lie her down...

Hi hun - nice to see you back!

alex went through a thing of standing in his cot, no matter how tired he was he would stand up rather than lay down to sleep.

i just keep going back in and laying him down and saying no its sleep time. he would go mental and be back up again before i left the room. after about 30/40 mins he would eventually get worn out and drop off.

he did this for about 2 weeks max till the novelty of standing up had worn off. lately he has been good as gold about naps and bedtime (touches every bit of wood within reach!) .

i really do think its the novelty of the new freedoms they have found. it does wear off though :)

he did wake me up at 2 am the other day -i could hear him chatting over his monitor and when i went in he was wide awake sitting up in his cot playing with his teddy :shock: bless i lay him back down and said go to sleep and didnt hear another peep till morning!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

do you use a sleep bag for her at night? thats what i had to do with Dior else she would crawl about all night to

I put Jack in a gro bag aswell and it stops him pullinng himself up and moving about too much

Oh gosh it sounds like a straitjacket doesn't it??

Hi

Olivia is the same so I'm watching this thread with interest. Sometimes she does fall asleep on her tummy with her bum in the air - I guess that's where she's had a bit of a crawl but fallen asleep mid way through!

She's in a grobag as well but it doesn't seem to stop her crawling or standing up in her cot.

Lucy

Hi Duds!!
We had the exact same problem! As soon as Charlie was sittingup un aided she was the same, and then again when she could pull her self to stand. The grobag did nothing to stop her!
We just did as Em said, every time she did it we would go lay her down again, and again and again!! She soon stopped it, well i say soon, it was about a week or so of doing this.
Like Olivia, we found her asleep with bum in air mid crawl several times!!
Hope you get it sorted !!!

Well it looks like i am going to have to have a lot of patients the next few weeks! Better go to bed now !
hopefully it wont last too long then...
Yes Aimee is in a grobag too which helps but doesnt stop her either.
Thanks for the advice Em, I will persevere.

Lucy - you'll have to let us know how you get on with Olivia

If you could get a baby straight jacket id seriously consider it ! lol

I have the same problem with Rubie. She has been doing it for 2.5 months now :shock:

Hi

Kiara did the same thing as soon as she learned to sit she owuld sit then she learned to stand so she stands up and cries but some nights she still does this so i leave her and i watched her through the door one night , she owuld stand then kneel, then she would have her bum in the air and head face down crying then just fall asleep :lol: have to be strong its just when they learn new things they wanna do it all the time.
Ktarina

OMG Kim dont tell me it goes on that long !! :cry:

She is still the same, I just cant seem to handle it anymore. Wish I could leave her - iv tried but she just gets louder and louder till she is really screaming then go quiet for a minute (to draw breath!) then starts again...
Im frantically looking through my baby books for a solution...

x

Damien does the same thing, and instead of just sitting up now, he stands up and throws his dummy over the side coz he knew I'd go in and pick it up for him to give it back :roll:
I gave up in the end and just had to leave him to cry it out. I HATE letting him do that, and spent many nights crying myself, but he got used to it in a few days and now if he cries, he gives up after 5 minutes coz he knows I'm not coming back up.

Damien pauses often for a minute, I think he does it to listen to see if I'm coming, as I sometimes just sit outside his door. But then he'll start again, he might do this a few times before he goes off.

Just a suggestion, but would she be happier sleeping on a pillow? I know this sounds dead odd, but Damien wouldn't sleep at all, kept waking up and screaming, gettign up, getting overtired, etc, just like Aimee, but then I gave him my pillow I use in bed and he nodded off almost instantly! We now have revolving pillows so that he has fresh mummy smell every week (god now I sound odd). :lol:

Sorry if that doesn't help hun xx

OMG do I really have this to look forward to :shock:

Duds, ah little Aimee is so sweet, does she still have her lovely locks? Isabella has lost quite alot of hers on the side, she looks quite weird - bless her.

Hi Girls - I'm on here reading this as I am going through the same thing with Heidi !!!- all of a sudden not sleeping through like she used to! :shock:

:rotfl: :rotfl: yes, and I have the books out trying to work out what is going on.

We have had a crap month really. Been away to funeral, then Christmas wasnt too good either (which upset me cos it was Heidi's first) and now she is not sleeping through - i think it is a combination of things - us going away, new milestones (she is now crawling and standing etc etc)

BUT....!!I came on here to see if anyone who had their baby same time as me was going through anything similar and it seems I am not the only one which makes me feel better :)

Sami - sorry I missed Damiens 1st birthday - not been on here for ages - I hope you had a nice day? did you have a party?

What is it like being pg with a little one? I admire you - must be tough some days.

Well, I better go - time for bed - so miss coming on here but time dont allow it!

Hopefully speak more in the new year!

If anyone is having probs with night time sleeping PLEASE let me have any tips!!!!

L x

I went through this with ewan when he started sitting on his own, and i am going through it again now!!
The only way i could get him to lie down again was to give him a bottle of milk.. and he would lie down and go straight to sleep.
Otherwise i would just have to lay him down and go out of the room and just keep going in and putting him down - but he would scream blue murder - i really lost my temper with him one night and shouted and held him down god i felt so bad!

He is now standing in his cot and turning his light on at night, and doing the same thing of laying down /standing up!!

Oh No! Poor You. I am waiting for this to stop ASAP - I just need a nights sleep soooooon!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back