Hospital bag... How many of each

Oh oh oh and of you're anyway near as forgetful as me write down everything you want to pack then check it off as you put it in I pack and unpack and repack so many times just to double, triple and quadruple check I have everything haha

Sorry are people taking bips or muslin? Not sure which ones to take...
I never bothered with a muslin, just used a hospital flat sheet as they provide blankets and flat sheet for baby bedside crib and I ended up changing the bedding about 3 times in the first night anyway x

I did..

FOR BABY:
Small pack of size 1 nappies
2 cow and gate starter packs ( you wont need these if you're breastfeeding)
wipes
cotton wool pads
sudocream
baby oil mist ( incase of dry skin)
6 vests
6 sleepsuits
6 hats
3 mits
8 bibs
all in one for coming home
blanket
dummy (just incase)

FOR MYSELF:
Maternity pads x2
breastpads
6 pairs of briefs
lounge traksuit
pjs and slippers
4 socks
phone charger
towel
body wash/shampoo/conditioner/body puff and body lotion
a few magazines
You wont need wipes or cotton pads, hospital provide cotton wool balls and a bowl for the water to clean baby with. They frown upon wipes in the early days x

I took wipes and used wipes last time and I am guessing Charlene did too with her last baby x

I took wipes and used wipes last time and I am guessing Charlene did too with her last baby x
Ahh, they are really against it where I am. I took toiletries for baby and they gave me stern words. I just saved it for when I got home x

I've heard that too - I'm just doing cotton wool balls and water!

I did..

FOR BABY:
Small pack of size 1 nappies
2 cow and gate starter packs ( you wont need these if you're breastfeeding)
wipes
cotton wool pads
sudocream
baby oil mist ( incase of dry skin)
6 vests
6 sleepsuits
6 hats
3 mits
8 bibs
all in one for coming home
blanket
dummy (just incase)

FOR MYSELF:
Maternity pads x2
breastpads
6 pairs of briefs
lounge traksuit
pjs and slippers
4 socks
phone charger
towel
body wash/shampoo/conditioner/body puff and body lotion
a few magazines
You wont need wipes or cotton pads, hospital provide cotton wool balls and a bowl for the water to clean baby with. They frown upon wipes in the early days x

My hospital don't provide anything x

I mentioned it on another thread, but wanted to bump up a more recent hospital bag thread like this with another tip, from my time as a student midwife.

Make sure baby's sleepsuit/onsies/all in one's are poppers down the front, they like to check baby's nappies and use stethoscope to listen to heartbeat etc and having outfits that only undo at the back are not ideal.

Same goes for you and you lower bits.. They want to know about your bleeding and will need to check any stitches from sections or tears/episiotomy etc. So consider that in your PJ/dressing gown choices ;)

Also, have seen on pintrest and second one of the other poster's suggestions for using full Tena style pants after delivery rather than knickers and pads. I fully intend to do this!

Another more modern tip.... Check in to your hospital's wi-fi (if it has it) whilst there for an earlier appointment so you will be able to log into it again when admitted for delivery (have done the recently at mine).

Lxx

Also, have seen on pintrest and second one of the other poster's suggestions for using full Tena style pants after delivery rather than knickers and pads. I fully intend to do this!

I did the same and it's great for the initial heavy bleeding as you won't have to worry about stains. Also nicely stretchy which is a plus after dealing with labour.

One thing I wish I would've done - packed smaller 'packages' chronologically, i.e. stuff needed during labour, after, and for baby. I couldn't find a thing! :shock:

The bikini top is a great idea! I don't know if I'll have a water birth (they didn't have time to fill the bath in time with my son), but I'd like one so I'll put one in my bag just in case.
Based on last time this is what I'm taking:
1 bag for labour:
- an old T-shirt to wear
- an old towel and washcloth (last time the nurse gave me a quick wash immediately after birth, while they measured baby. Threw away the washcloth afterwards)
- a bottle of water
- a packet of 'dextro energy' (no snacks for me, I didn't feel like eating til almost a week after birth)
- music (forgot that last time)
- a breastfeeding bra and breastfeeding top
- underwear
- a first outfit for the baby
- all paperwork (pregnancy notes, insurance papers.. )

Extra bag for stay at the hospital (this stays in the car until we go to our room): I'm counting on 1 night stay
- 2 pairs of pyjamas
- 1 pair of comfortable joggings
- 2 breastfeeding tops
- 1 breastfeeding dress to go home in
- extra breastfeeding bra, bf pads
- 3 changes of underwear
- little bag with toiletries
- towels and washcloths
- phone charger
- magazines to read
- 3 'bodies' to go under clothes for the baby, short sleeves
- 2 pairs of pyjamas (the onesies with feet)
- 1 hat (we get an ugly one from hospital which I use there)
- 2 pairs of leggings
- 3 T-shirts , 2 with long sleeves and 1 short sleeved
- a lot of bibs
- a nice outfit to go home in
- a coat and blanket to go home in
- teddy bear
- no toiletries or nappies: hospital provides enough samples of both
- birth card and chocolates for the hospital staff
-breastfeeding cushion and light blanket to cover baby and myself during feedings

If we need to stay longer, oh will bring some bottles of juice, iced tea and cookies for visitors.

The bikini top is a great idea! I don't know if I'll have a water birth (they didn't have time to fill the bath in time with my son), but I'd like one so I'll put one in my bag just in case.
Based on last time this is what I'm taking:
1 bag for labour:
- an old T-shirt to wear
- an old towel and washcloth (last time the nurse gave me a quick wash immediately after birth, while they measured baby. Threw away the washcloth afterwards)
- a bottle of water
- a packet of 'dextro energy' (no snacks for me, I didn't feel like eating til almost a week after birth)
- music (forgot that last time)
- a breastfeeding bra and breastfeeding top
- underwear
- a first outfit for the baby
- all paperwork (pregnancy notes, insurance papers.. )

Extra bag for stay at the hospital (this stays in the car until we go to our room): I'm counting on 1 night stay
- 2 pairs of pyjamas
- 1 pair of comfortable joggings
- 2 breastfeeding tops
- 1 breastfeeding dress to go home in
- extra breastfeeding bra, bf pads
- 3 changes of underwear
- little bag with toiletries
- towels and washcloths
- phone charger
- magazines to read
- 3 'bodies' to go under clothes for the baby, short sleeves
- 2 pairs of pyjamas (the onesies with feet)
- 1 hat (we get an ugly one from hospital which I use there)
- 2 pairs of leggings
- 3 T-shirts , 2 with long sleeves and 1 short sleeved
- a lot of bibs
- a nice outfit to go home in
- a coat and blanket to go home in
- teddy bear
- no toiletries or nappies: hospital provides enough samples of both
- birth card and chocolates for the hospital staff
-breastfeeding cushion and light blanket to cover baby and myself during feedings

If we need to stay longer, oh will bring some bottles of juice, iced tea and cookies for visitors.

Brilliant list Flo! I am taking a few off there to add to mine! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back