• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Horrible Midwife Appointment

Chookette

Reaction score
Was so upset this afternoon. My OH and I had our 28 week midwife checkup... We had only have one other appointment with this midwife as she was not around for previous one...

She was so not bothered with us at all. Felt like getting blood from a stone for every question we had. Nearly walked out...

We are not giving birth at the birthing centre she works at so it seems like she does not care at all... I have questions about my hospital and she cannot be bothered to help.... :-(

OH was really good about it and said he was not happy with her either. Am going to call my hospital tomorrow to see if there is any way we can have the rest of our appointments with one the midwifes from the actual hospital... fingers crossed.

Shame you aren't getting on with your midwife, that's really not what you need. My first one wasn't the nicest... You could tell she was really experienced and good at her job, but she was really unapproachable and I felt awkward asking questions because she wasn't very talkative. I also felt like she was keeping me out of the loop, like with my blood results etc, just kind of skimming over them.

Anyway, I moved to a different part of the country when I was about 27, so I have a new midwife now, and she is so lovely! She's very chatty, which means my appointments take three times as long, but I much prefer that, I can ask her anything and I feel much more comfortable... And she talks me through all my results. For example, my iron levels just dropped massively for no reason between 12 and 27 weeks to a level that they class as dangerously low. My old midwife hadn't even told me to take a supplement, but my new one was straight on it, and now I'm taking 200mg a day of iron!

If you're not happy with your midwife, you should really change, because there could be a massive difference and it should be someone you're happy and comfortable with!

xx

Thanks ft90.... Unfortunately they have not been able to change my midwife but am now booked up for Ante-natal classes at my hospital that is run by their midwifes so I can get more information through them.... So feeling a little better.... :)

Sorry you havent been able to change your midwife hunny but im glad the hospital have said you can have your antenatal classes there x x

---
-

I feel like I am being a worrier but I just like to have information available to me and the midwife at my doctors won't help at all... Will probably hijack the whole Ante-natal class with my questions as they are not until October so a few weeks before we are due...

We are doing NCT classes too which is our preferred classes but think the Ante-natal will be a good reminder and set my mind at rest about the hospital..... :)

Sorry to hear about your midwife, it really is a shame. I have seen 2 midwives to far and both were lovely (some of them still do shifts at my hospital).

I found NCT classes helped but I also did classes that my midwives' team run, they know everything about the hospital and it was super helpful. For example now I know their anaestesists are not on call but always there etc.

I just dont get it, if you dont like interacting with people, why become a midwife/doctor/nurse?

I am getting fed up with my current hospital and their complete lack of care. I am classed as high risk this time around although baby seems fine just from my previous pregnancy. I never see my consultant and I actually do not feel like I'm in safe hands. My fundal height hasn't been done yet which should have been routine at my last appt. I had an inexperienced doctor who is retraining for Obs and gynae but he's actually a&e!! I've decided when I see my midwife at 31 weeks I'm changing hospitals for the birth. My midwife hasn't seen me since I was 21 weeks either an she didn't really want to know a I was supposed to be seeing consultant at 28 weeks! Everyone passing the buck all the bloody time!!

Sorry to hear that babe :( they should let u change ur mw it's not right u feel uncomfortable with ur mw :( your having a baby!

chookette = totally hijack your ante natal classes with questions! It's not fair that you don't feel like you're getting the information you need. Even without being a worrier, everyone wants to feel like they know what they have to know. When I changed midwives and my new one gave me loads of booklets and magazines etc, it really shocked me, I previously had no reading material that was any use!

It's so silly how it can be so different between midwives, you'd think they should just be the same!

Enjoy your antenatal classes :) The ones near me were totally booked up, plus my OH works away so he wouldn't be able to come, so I didn't even bother going on the waiting list... Might regret that soon though!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blehhj
Back