Rubbish 36 week midwife appointment

Nic36

Reaction score
Well, what a rubbish midwife appointment I had this morning! Yet another midwife to add to the list of people I have seen. There is only one I have seen who has been any good, and luckily I've seen her several times, but alas not today. Was asked the same questions numerous times as she was so obviously not listening to my responses...
Another student midwife doing the monitoring checks too - really not confident that she did any of the monitoring correctly. My BP was far lower than usual, and when she felt for baby, she proudly announced 'free'. I said that surprised me as when I saw the consultant two weeks ago I was 3/5 engaged and I certainly felt the baby was low. I know the baby can go in and out, but I was surprised. So she felt again... 'oh yes, she does feel quite low.' A second opinion from MW no. 2 resulted in baby being 2/5 engaged... So I really don't know whether she is engaged or not, whether my BP was correct or whether she checked my urine properly.
Then I was about to be bundled out the door when I told them I had been told we would do my birth plan at this appointment. They really couldn't be bothered, but went through a few points in my White notes book and wrote a few things down. By this stage I actually felt like crying and wanted to leave. I don't know what she wrote down to be honest - I felt like they didn't care less about me, and I didn't ask half the questions I wanted to ask. Would have had no faith in the answers I got, so didn't see any point. Got to my car and burst into tears.
Luckily we drafted out our birth plan last night (intending to go through it with the midwife) - but think I will just stick our one in over the page she scribbled on and hope for the best.
Wondering why these people do these jobs when they are so blatantly not interested in the care of new mothers to be and t heir babies.
Now really need to cheer myself up, and am thinking of a trip to the cake shop... :(

poor u hun, i reall lucky that there is only 1 midwife at my doctors so i always see the same person, must be crappy to have to keep answering the same questions all the time, if u dont feel like ur having the correct care have a word with the receptionsit and see if you can put in a complaint xxx

poor u hun, i reall lucky that there is only 1 midwife at my doctors so i always see the same person, must be crappy to have to keep answering the same questions all the time, if u dont feel like ur having the correct care have a word with the receptionsit and see if you can put in a complaint xxx

It's so frustrating seeing different people all the time. They don't have a clue about my medical history or anything, and they really don't seem to care at all. Oh well, not many more appointments to get through, and I see the consultant again in two weeks. At. Least I see the same constant each time!

The best thing is you are unlikely to see her at your actual birth. I was also suggested that anything I didn't mention with midwife about birth plan, to put a sheet of paper with what I wanted in my notes. Sorry you had a crap time. Go home and put a feel good film on and put your feet up. :hugs: xx

Quite hard to get a MW that seems to actually take a general interest in u. Cant u book in for the MW u liked or is she not regular? Im fed up of seeing them and the doctor as i get told its one thing then when iys not that its just left. I think a trip to the cake shop sounds like a perfect idea, get urself the biggest one there and maybe one for later haha x

Quite hard to get a MW that seems to actually take a general interest in u. Cant u book in for the MW u liked or is she not regular? a x

It just seems to be pot luck which midwife is working on the day I get an appointment. I think they go round lots of different surgeries, so I have seen a good 4 or 5 different ones.

Ah sorry to hear that hun. Can imagine it gets quite frustrating seeing different MW all the time. Chin up though.

Can you maybe check that your next appt is with the MW you like? x

Ah sorry to hear that hun. Can imagine it gets quite frustrating seeing different MW all the time. Chin up though.

Can you maybe check that your next appt is with the MW you like? x

Yeah, might be an idea to give them a ring on the week of the appt. To check who will be working. Thanks! X

try not too worry too much hun!

When i've been at my sisters births alot of the time the midwifes don't even look at the notes for the birth plan so just make sure your OH/Birth partner knows what you want so you don't have to get stressed out during the labour!

Every single MW I've seen tests my urine wrong. It takes a full 2 minutes to test properly using the strips and they make the assumption it's normal in about 10 seconds.

I've got a urinalysis machine where I work and have always had 1 or 2 protein in my urine since getting pregnant, yet they never pick up on that because they're too lazy to wait.

It's funny you should say that jojo, cos whenever I get my urine checked at the hospital I have protein in it, but every midwife appointment at the surgery comes back normal! Didn't realise it was supposed to take a couple of mins to do properly. They definitely don't spend more than ten seconds checking it!

Aww sorry hon. I know how you feel though, felt exactly the same about mine last week and wrote on here complaining that I had been told my birthplan not given any choices. Dh and I have now done ours and spoken to other people about the options and we've just stapled that in over the original page and taking another seperate copy as well. I'm happy to post mine up with some of the pros and cons etc. Of some of the choices as I really didn't know why they asked some things on your birth plan but understand it all a little better.

Each time i've been to the midwifes, its always been a different lady. I didn't think it would be like that, i assumed you'd get a designated one who you'd see each time. It does make everything a little less personal, but luckily all of mine have been nice so far. Although i do agree that they don't seem to take a genuine interest. I guess it all becomes so normal to them seeing it day in day out. Whereas to us it's totally unique and special. Hope you have better luck next time xx

Sorry to hear you had a useless appt with the MW :(
x

:hugs: know how you feel same here ive never seen same mw twice and one of them is plain nasty, it is horrible how they make you feel part of a production line,

Non of the mw's in labour have looked at my birth plan either time :S

2 things that really bug me with notes (altho may sound petty to others :D )

Number 1 is when they ask what you prefer to be caled i put Jo (am NEVER called Joanne) but they all call me Joanne

Number 2 is ive told them from day one im a MRS not a MISS (not that it matters if your married or not i just like being Mrs)

They still not changed it and other people get called for their app "Mrs so n so" then when it comes to me they just shout Joanne bugs me,

Sorry for rant,

Hope you enjoyed your cake xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back