hoping to start this weekend....

hopefulmummy

Reaction score
Hi lovely ladies,

I was hoping to begin our baby led weaning journey this weekend! My little one will be about 5 1/2 months old.

But, so many questions! What to start him on? I've given him a banana in his high chair a few times over the last week or so, but I don't think he is eating it. He gums at it, squishes it in his hand and then drops it on the floor! I find myself handing it to him and taking his hand to his mouth and sometimes putting the banana in his mouth myself1 I know this is not the point! I find it REALLY hard to let go and I keep thinking, oh he's treating it like a toy!!

What should I do on Saturday? Any ideas for first "real" food?

THANKS!!!

xxx

To be honest hun i think he can have anything u have!

How about toast fingers with hummous? Roasted parsnips, roasted sweet potato, porridge fingers, Watermelon, orange segmanta, grapes cut in half.....???? As for the slippy banana try coating it in oats so he can grip easier!
Thoght of more..
Pitta bread filled withh cheese and tomato (maybe tost it)
Pitta bread with grated carrot and hummous
Hard boiled egg cut into four
Sandwiches..salmon paste, cream cheese, tuna and cucumber are my los faves
Home made fish goujons, or chiken goujons

Last edited:
The idea of blw is to experiment with the food. It took d about a month of blw to actually start noticably Eatting it. Food is for fun under 1 year so as long as he has the milk he wants its fine. Cut food into big chunks so its easy to pick up such as sticks and wedges.

I started mainly on fruit n veg and slowly started to introduce new things.

There us a blw cookbook n another about blw and how it all works etc.l
Look at your local library and you will find em or have to order em in x

sent from my HTC with a mind of its own!

Try not to worry about him not eating much that comes later just make sure he's still getting plenty milk. Part of BLW is the exploration and playing, the banana is probably much more fun to be squished about just now! I cant wait til Kynon is 6 months to start, looks like eating is fun for them. Amy is right I think you just give them what your eating so they are joining in family meals from the start.

Last edited:
Helen123 did an amzing blw journal with photos and daily updates of what she was giving her lo, what he actually ate, didnt like, lved etc..its really interesting if u take a look it will deffo give u ideas

Ooh, thanks some good ideas there!!

Do you go straight to 3 meals a day? I can't wait - I'm planning baby's menu more than I plan my own!!! Haha.

Is there. Link to Helen's blog anywhere?? Xx

Yeh I wouldn't mind a link to Helen123's blog either if that would be ok? x

it was a blog in here Helen did, in the parenting journals section I think, had a look for it but cant find it...

Hopeful it will be very exciting to start but actually to begin with Owen didn't eat much at all but just had lot of fun playing, squishing, throwing, dropping etc. they soon realise things taste, then they start gagging and the gag reflux soon goes too, then they start chewing and swallowing and then relating it to hunger and now Owen is at the 'wolfing it down stage!'

First few days we offered banana on toast, sweet pot wedges, carrot batons, swede wedges, broccoli, avocado, biscuit, then after a few days went straight to everything, chicken strips, roast potatoes, porridge fingers, melon, watermelon, etc. You have to give it time and be prepared for it not to be as exciting as you think!!! It was kinda weird seeing Owen tryign to eat stuff when all he'd had for 6 months was my milk. soon got used to it though!

keep us posted and good luck! pm me if you have and qs!!!
xxx

Thanks... Given me some good ideas. Just seems so odd giving him Carrots for breakfast!! I know it obviously makes no difference to him!

Did you go straight to 3 meals a day?

Xx

well kinda went to three meals but just offered him food about half hour after milk so he wasnt too tired or hungry. for breakkie we did porridge fingers and banana and left the others for lunch and dinner.

doesnt matter if he is only offered food once a day to start really, its all just for fun!

It took my LO quite a few weeks before she seemed to get the hang of it. Since they don't actually eat much/anything at first I think it's fine to go straight to 3 meals a day, whereas with TW you wouldn't go straight to 3 meals a day as such a dramatic food introduction could be a shock to their systems and make them constipated. My LO loves banana, mango, sweet potato wedges and courgette :)

yeah ^^ wss and also sometimes Owen had 4 meals as he might have something for a snack if I was having one. you'll soon find your groove hon xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back