Honest opinions - leaving baby for an evening out

i couldnt, ive never left her to go out only to go to college in the daytime and i hate it, im only willing to leave her with my mum or her daddy. i know thats me being a loony but thats just the way it is

I would have gone out and had a lovely meal with the oh.
I didnt like or know my cousins gf that well before i had keira but at 12 weeks.old i let thrm babysit so i could go for a meal and now they do me loadsa little favours.
X

I'd be ok with it. Yes it's probably preferable to have folk you have met, but James's dad has met them!! It's not a complete stranger, it's his uncle, and at 35 - even if there's some 'making out' I'd assume they are still sensible enough to leave that to when baby is asleep and settled.

Plus your right, you can't veto everyone your child comes in contact with, particularly in a child are situation.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

To be honest, I'd probably go out. Won't James be asleep the entire time your out anyway, so he will be none the wiser.
What bothers you the most about your oh's brothers girlfriend? I know you've not met her, but she's not going to have anything to do with James whilst your out if he's asleep. If it was just her on her own babysitting I could maybe understand your point of view a bit more.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable with it but I am quite picky with who I let look after C. I think I have trust issues!! Cx

Can your brother in law not look after James on his own, does his gf have to be there? It's a tricky one I can see where you're coming from, I would probably go out though knowing he was with his uncle x

It's really interesting to hear all of your views, thanks.

It's tomorrow night and yep we are still going!

OH has asked one of his other brothers to have James (James is a lot more familiar with this uncle) and I sent an apologetic message to his bro, who was lovely and understanding so no real harm done. Although I did proper flip out with OH earlier, I mean I had a proper tantrum!!

OH bought me home Baklava to cheer me up - and I assume to admit that he was wrong??

I know I can't control who James sees but this is the first time we are both leaving him and I needed to feel comfortable leaving him.

So yay tomorrow we are off out to have a posh dinner, can't wait!!

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with this. Fair enough your BIL isn't gonna bring a complete nutter with him but for me it's the fact you have to put your complete trust into whoever it is looking after your child and I personally don't know how I'd be able to do that with someone I'd never met.
Hope you get it sorted and are able to go for your meal! You deserve it! xxx

OH has asked one of his other brothers to have James (James is a lot more familiar with this uncle) and I sent an apologetic message to his bro, who was lovely and understanding so no real harm done. Although I did proper flip out with OH earlier, I mean I had a proper tantrum!!

OH bought me home Baklava to cheer me up - and I assume to admit that he was wrong??

I know I can't control who James sees but this is the first time we are both leaving him and I needed to feel comfortable leaving him.

xxxxxx

Glad you are still going and that you are able to rest easy whilst having a good night. Xx

xxxxxx

He bought you a balaclava? Weird gift! Lol

Enjoy your meal tomorrow hun, glad it all worked out x

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

I won't have a stranger in my home, let alone while I'm not there. I found it so hard having the midwives coming to visit after the birth and absolutely hated it if they had to come upstairs.

I couldn't imagine leaving LO with someone I hadn't met, but like u say at some point he's going to be in care and meeting strangers without u. I'd have had a fit if OH had arranged that tbh. I'd have said why can't bil baby sit on his own?

I'm glad you got it sorted hon. :)

I've just realised how much I dread the teenage years (and beyond) of him bringing his friends over when I've never met them. :shock: :shock:

xxxxxx

He bought you a balaclava? Weird gift! Lol

Enjoy your meal tomorrow hun, glad it all worked out x

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

Trust you Tambo.....lol x

Have a great night Carnat. :) x

I've only ever left E with my dad and she has always been tucked up in bed the whole time (about 4 hours max). I don't think I could leave her with people I didn't have 100% trust in and I would definitely be iffy with them bringing someone I didn't know!

As its your OH's brother and you both trust him, then I think it's fine for a couple of hours.
X

I'd also be ok but I'm very much one of those shove the kids out the door cya later types of people :p!

Plus if you're not too far away, if anythings up its not difficult to just go home.

Now go enjoy some baby free time with your OH!!!!!!

Well we went and we had a fabby time!

James was fine and is fast asleep, uncle seemed a little frazzled but everything went well.

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Aww you lucky duck, glad you had a good time :)
I've had tickets for a local Indian for ages from groupon, can't see myself ever being able to go anywhere as lo is still refusing bottles/everything except boob :( xx

Glad you had a fab time carnat :)

As a generalised point, my brother and his girlfriend have no experience with kids (both mid 20s) and they are absolutely fantastic with my LO and always have been! Just because people haven't got kids doesnt mean that they are incapable of looking after them :)! I like the fact that by having LOs uncle around he can give her additional life experiences and memories to add to and I love the idea of her having lots of family around her instead of just mum and dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back