homeless advice

mrs h

Reaction score
Hi can anyone help me?
Basically i put in an application for a rented house (im already in rented) to an area closer to my mil. The application has fell through as the person i hhad as gurantor didnt declare a ccj, he didnt do this deliberately as he thought he didnt have one as he didnt attend court or anything
They wont accept my application without a guarantor as they say my income is below what they accept. My husband is currently unemployed but has been offered a job which doesnt start till 26th but when we put application in they would only put under my name as he was unemployed and they wont let me put his expected income on my application as he has to have held a job for so long.
I have to be out of my house in 2 weeks as they have found a tenant already.
I have to have a gurantor who earns £20000 and above but the one person i knew earning decent money failed the gurantor check.
My mil was willing to be gurantor but they told her she doesnt earn enough.
Can anyone see a way around this?? as we are homeless in 2 weeks, we cant live with mil as no room she only has a spare box room, i dont know what we are going to do as i dont fancy going to a hostel with a one year old.
Has anyone been through this? how long are you in temparary accomadation before they find you somewhere?
The housing association we spoke to didnt seem hopeful and said would take a week to process our application.
Also i dont know what we are going to do with our stuff

I'm not sure tbh, I have always had private rents but I'll find out soon enough.

Could you not tell them your DH had started work? If you could get his work to guarentee his wage on paper, you could show the agent that?

All council's are different. We were homeless with an 18month baby and no clothes even but it still took them weeks to offer us even the nastiest flat in the roughest area.

We have to pay for our temporary placements up here, B&B or hostel, and it's quite a bit more than we expected so we couldn't do that. Luckily for us a friend (chezzabel) let us stay in her house while we looked about. She stayed somewhere else as there was not enough room, then we stayed at my parents.....

Good luck hun, sorry about your bad luck :hug: :hug:

I wish I could help.

Hiya!

I think i can help on this as i was made homeless last year and put a application though to the council and we had to move in to my mils which was a nightmare! we were there for 3 months but they had to check all the application and make aure we did not intentionally make ourselves homeless.

If your in fear of being put onto the streets thrn keep ringing the council and really push them, they have to provide you with accomodation even if its a hostel or b&b.

But keep phoning them and writing letters as you can get forgotton in the system.

As long as you didnt make yourself homeless they have to help you.

Hi and thanks for replies
This may seem like a really stupid question but in a hostel would me and my husband and our son have our own room or would we have to share with other people. Im terrified if we have to share as my son is a really bad sleeper and im up most of the night with him as he bad excema and just scratches all night

Hi you really need some advice as dependng on your circumstances the council may not have a duty to help you under homeless legislation.

If this is the case most local authorities have prevention help ie access money or a bond/guarntee scheme to help out with rehousing AND social services have a duty to help you.

see this website for more info http://england.shelter.org.uk/home/index.cfm

In perticular you need to check that you are not intentionally homeless. this site has a good booklet you can download called Homeless? read this. It is very important to know your rights before you approach your local authority and the flow chart in this booklet is great.

It would be good to give their helpline a call to discuss your circumstances or contact your local housing advice centre (the website has a list of local ones)

Most local authority section 188 (temp) accommodation are hostels and usually they have their own room and shared bathroom/kitchen. But it depends on the Local authorities access to such places, you may end up in a B&B or something similar. You can also be in this for as long as it takes the LA to find you suitable accommodation, however there are deadlines on leaving if your application is unsuccessful.
What temp accommodation you will get is something you should be told when you make the Homeless application

You wont have to share a room with strangers, youl get a room of your own.

Some hostels are like self contained flats, with their own bathroom and kitchen.

Part of how long you are in there may depend on what size property you need, i.e some areas have more 2 bed places so you would be rehoused quicker if thats what you needed. Bigger properties may not be so available so you may be in for a longer wait.

You may be in ther for 6 months or so all in all but at least at the end you will have permenant accomodation.

Good luck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamie50
Back