Homebirths a choice by 2009

Tasha20

Reaction score
On the news today it says that a choice of having a homebirth will be available more widely by 2009.

I think its fantastic, I tryed to go for a homebirth but got sent into hospital.

With my second child I would like to to attepmt it again.

How does everyone else feel about this

thats fab but ive been told its fine that i plan a homebirth for my first baby. im sorry u werent so lucky! x

I read that but i thought it already was? :shock:

i personally dont think id do a home birth
may change my mind tho u never no

They have been told I'm having a homebirth (providing I have no complications arise) and that they have a legal obligation to attend me when I'm in active labour - they shan't be telling me to come into hospital due to staff shortages or some other noncence. I joined a home birthing support group for this very reason and the information they have provided is invaluable - duty of care and laws etc are on the mothers side if you opt for a homebirth. Stick to your guns and if they sat "come in to the hospital" tell them sternly no - it's your right to labour at home if you choose, it's just a shame we have to put our foot down on the subject though.

I think it's disgusting (sp?) some women feel they cannot have a home birth, it's a personal choice ALL women have, it shouldn't ever be questioned.

I'd like to second everything Nicola said, EVERY woman has the right to birth at home, do not let them tell you that you can't, it's so important you believe in yourself when birthing, and your birth partner, because some will try and 'tell you you should be in hospital' and it's just rubbish :roll:

Home birthing support groups are excellent places to find added support I agree, we hear so much about hospital births, but home births are very common and a popular choice, you just need to join the groups to hear all about them :)

i think sometimes i think it seems nice but i was glad to be in hospital with my first and next tme ill defo go to hospital and stay for a couple days as next time i want to attemot breast feeding and with a toddler and a new born i think the hospital will be the most peacefull place to attempt it

im very pro home birth and think its ridiculous that some women are

made to feel like they cant have one. i booked for one but had to transfer

in for meconium. i will defo rebook for the next one- even though i think

im gonna have some interesting comments due to the size of my last one.

i was lucky that my midwife was very supportive and had herself had a

homebirth, it would have drove me insane if i had an unsupportive

midwife. i think hospitals have a place and for some people they are the

better place to be, but if you have a low risk pregnancy and are confident

in what your body is capable of then i would recommend a home birth

everytime.

I was booked for a homebirth and laboured 6 hours at home but due to high bp and not moving from 3 cms I was sent in :(

It is a womens choice but the midwives are not available, I think its just they are going to make sure more are available so women can have a home birth :D

I will definatly go 4 one again was great being at home, so relaxed :)

They CAN find you a midwife, it might be one you have never met before but they can and will find you one if you simply refuse to move. I've been told if my local hospital (and I live 5 seconds from their front door!) can't provide me one they will check firstly Brighton, then Eastbourne, then East Grinstead (although they don't have a maternity unit?) for one and seem to think someone will be with me within an hour....if all 4 of those hospitals come up with nothing (she says that's highly unlikely indeed) then they start checking further afield, Portsmouth is about 70/80 minutes from her and so forth. That can and will find you one you just have to be stern (really stern!!) or when in labour get hubby/partner to remain stern on the phone to them - often they will insist on talking to you personally to "gauge" how far apart your contractions are - that's rubbish they have no need to speak to you what so ever. Get partner/DH etc to say "no you'll speak to me" because you'll find when in labour your not quite the same assured, assertive and confident woman you are normally and they make you say "ok" to coming in and then know their duty of care has been seen to....if hubby/partner stays strong and tells them to come out then they can, anything else is fobbing you off rubbish.

Obviously medical conditions or situations that arise in labour need hospital treatment but generally it's unlikely that complications will arise at home if you have had a normal pregnancy. Statistically home births are actually becoming slightly more safer than hospital births as women are more relaxed, not so stressed or worried etc than they are being rushed around in hospital and labouring goes better.

Stick to your guns if it's what they want, don't let the old "were short staffed" thing win you over, they can and will (they have to!) find someone to attend you as it's actually illegal for someone other than a midwife or doctor to deliver the baby knowingly. I mean if you went into labour at 10pm and delivered at 10.05pm then your partner etc would have little choice but to help but if you went into labour at 10pm called the midwife, delievered at 2am and no one did attend you and hubby etc had to help then it's no longer illegal and the hospital/care providers become liable for that....

It's really worth reading up on your rights, what you can and can't expect from a home birth and I do hope that by 2009 ladies don't keep going through what we are today to get the birth of their choice as no everyone is strong enough, or knows where to find the information etc, to back themsevles up as you and I can.

Here in Hungary is illegal to have a home birth. If you do then a doctor and a midwife can not attend. Not that I fancied one anywya but I was a bit shocked to find out it was against the law!

Melanie said:
Here in Hungary is illegal to have a home birth. If you do then a doctor and a midwife can not attend. Not that I fancied one anywya but I was a bit shocked to find out it was against the law!

:shock: Really!!

i didn't have the choise of a home birth this time, but before they decided they would need to induce me early it was never mentioned to me.

Im in two minds. i think i would like one, but i think i would need to own my home if that makes sense? I rent at the moment, and it would feel odd to me giving birth here.

I think its great that it is becoming a more promoted idea though. just as long as it doesn't get to the stage that it becomes seen as 'wrong' not to attempt a hospital birth (does that make sense?).

It's great news in principle, providing it's not just government spin to appease everyone who's been appalled at the study into maternity care released recently.

As someone's already pointed out in 'theory' most women are entitled to it anyway. I can't see the situation changing unfortunately. :?

A home birth will never be an option for me as I'll always be under consultant care during pregnancy, but I would've considered it. I hated everything about the hospital and it definiely impeded my labour and recovery.

I sincerely hope all you mums planning home births get them, but nine times out of ten I read that mums ended up in hospital.

Melanie said:

Gosh I didn't know that, I find it shocking really.
Women should have the choice where to labour, be it hospital, birthing clinic, home or out in a field somewhere...home births illegal in Hungary, gosh you learn something new every day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back