Homebirth in flat

moss

Reaction score
I am kind of interested (but pretty hesitant as well) in a homebirth, BUT I live in a new build flat and I can just imagine keeping the neighbours up with my screaming. I am worried that I would feel more self conscious at home than in a hospital because of this. Who knows, I may be very quiet naturally, but this is my first baby so I really don't know what I will be like. Has anyone else thought of this, or had a homebirth in a flat?

This is the reason why I'm not having a home birth. I live in a studio flat and I'm not bothered about keeping the neighbours up but I am bothered about the lack of space in my flat.

I wouldn't worry about your neighbours - if u want a home birth then go for it! My midwife isn't so supportive about them so thats another thing that put me off. They made it seem like they have to go out of their way.

Homebirhs are usually less expensive for the NHS than hospital births, so that attitude really makes me angry! You have the right to do what YOU choose, so don't let them change your mind. They'll forget about it as soon as it is over, but you won't. But the space concern does make sense. I guess I am less worried about bothering my neighbours and more about feeling embarrassed. I am a very private person, so birth is something I also feel is very personal. All the more reason for a homebirth, apart from the neighbours. I am also a little worried I will traumatise my cats, who are very attached to me and sensitive to when I get upset. ha...

Hiya,

I think it was one of my comments in the thread that Sherlock posted to. Luckily I am assured that a) women don't always make loads of noise & b) you won't care when it comes to it.

I am now seriously considering it and have also looked into hypnobirthing which will hopefully make the whole thing much more relaxed and less loud! My advice? B*gger the neighbours, do what you think is most comfortable.

When you give birth in hospital you are in a room, and so a bedsit is probably going to be bigger than that room anyway, so I personally wouldn't let space be an issue. We're in a flat and when the MW came out to 'assess' our home, she didn't even look around, you only need heat and water and you're fine :D Space is an issue if you're wanting a birthing pool, but otherwise you can always push things back and make a good square of space, its about being comfortable, not having loads of space.. but if you feel it won;t be spacious enough you may not be comfortable.. its just worth being aware that a homebirth needs planning before the event whereas you can go to hospital anytime.
Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

I really wanted a homebirth but decided it just wasn't fair on the neighbours :D I think I might be embarassed afterwards too :oops: (though not at the time - I'll have other things on my mind then! :rotfl: )

I have recently looked at how my local authority (or whatever it is called in medical regions) is rated and read the full report. There were concerns about the training for home births though hospital, although not meeting some points, was good at the birth part. Maybe have a look at the quality report. I'd tell you where to find it except I have completely forgotten!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back