HOME BIRTHS - who is having one / wanting one??

I think you should definitely go for the home birth then hun, not silly in the slightest, I'm super excited for mine even with everyone being disproving about it, even hubby doesn't want me to be at home "just incase" something goes wrong. I think I will be more relaxed at home therefore less likely to go wrong. And if it does then I will have a midwife observing just me and will pick up any problems asap, probably quicker than they did at the hospital with Harry being in distress.

I'm obsessed with googling the clean up after a home birth but is seems pretty straightforward as the midwives take everything messy l, they just don't deal with the filling and emptying of the pool but I'm sure hubby can deal with that as have the electric pump to empty too.

I'm 25 weeks today and seeing my mw in an hour so will see what she said to the SOM and when to expect a call from her to discuss my options and hopefully get the go ahead. Like you say I can change my mind on labour day if I am struggling at home xx

Thanks hun!
I just think the same that at home itll be more relaxed. I wont have the stress with worrying about Noah so much. I'll have my hosp bag packed ready incase too. Im only 10mins away with worst case. I get part of a refund bk if pool isnt used too from that company so if i dnt use it and end up changing my mind its not the end of the world.

I had a google too and it doesnt seem half as messy as i thought!
I can go to cheap homeware stores or even b&m home bargains for cheap shower curtains. I have a fair few towels too to lay down and will buy 1 or 2 new ones for myself and baba for when hes born.

My OH said 'does that me i can have the telly on'
PAHAAHA.... No mate! No it does not lol!!

That's good you can get a partial refund of you don't use the pool. I'm probably going to treat myself to brand new bedding and towels to use after baby is born.

I can imagine it now, hubby wanting to watch family guy or play need for speed on the ps4 lol if the telly is on it will be my choice of program lol

Did you post on a comment in the home birth chat group today about reserving the pool? I've been browsing all the posts but not posted myself yet xx

Yes i did! 'danielle' ?? With a little boy (noah) on my shoulders in my profile pik lol!

I misread the T&Cs. I only get a partial refund if its being delivered but hange my mind.
Once ive signed i pay £90.

O well!!

Will make a decision at 36wks before payment!

Id very much want a water birth still so i think id probs go with it! I think ill regret not having it there to use as i enjoyed the short time i had in the water with Noahs labour X

Thought it might have been as knew you were dani, I am obsessed with finding out everything home birth at the mo. I will post at some point I'm sure, so keep an eye out for lol xx

Last edited:
Ive become obsessed tooo lmfaooo!!

Will do hun!! Xx

I'm sure you will get a fair amount selling it on if you don't use it too, they sell relatively easily. I had another lady interested in the pool I got but we are due at the same time so couldn't share this time. I'm hoping to get similar to £35 back after I've had baby xx

I think home births are definitely a good option. Love the idea of climbing straight into your own, fresh bedding!! Might actually have to buy some new for after, too!!

You'll save so much on all the baby equipment you've already got that I doubt the cost of the pool will really be significant second time around, iyswim??

I might well get everything in that we'd need for a home birth (like the shower curtains!!) and it won't be a big waste if I go in! It's always lovely reading about the calm births at home. Hospital somehow feels so much more dramatic, even though it's not really :lol:

I was thinking... £90 ouch!!

But if i look at it this way:

Ive not had to buy,

Cotbed
Bouncer
Moses
Travel system
Carseats
LOADS of clothes
Blankets & cellulars

Ive onky bought the odd bits of clothes, bottles, steriliser, changing mat and the odd essential bits!

So £90 isnt really anything when ive saved so much with what ive kept from Noah.

The shower curtains and few towels wont cost much either.

OH is a bit calmer about it now he knows that im allowed to change my mind and that the MW will send me straight to hosp st the easiest signs of problems.

My mums also game too now as ive told her i'd like her to do reiki and play her reiki music whilst im in labour lol xx

Last edited:
I go to reiki healing in my spiritualist church, I do the clairvoyant development side though, but enjoy a reiki healing session after, so relaxing after your brains being going OT.

But reiki is ohsome. Should help massively in labour as it is partly hypnobirthing - the soundtrack will be like meditation music.

I didnt have time to put music on I gave birth so fast, but second time I fear Ill go myself and itll be long winded, but thankfully I do loads of meditations so my phones loaded and ready to go already!

Id say all sound like a go to me :) exciting.

xxxx

Last edited:
She gave me reiki throughout my pregnancy with Noah, it was so relaxing!

Im going to start calling over an evening a week while OH is home with Noah so she can start again and I can get some peace lol!

I never even thought about music in Noahs labour either!!
But i think itll fit nicely with some candles on and the curtains drawn! X

Last edited:
Argos do £1.99 shower curtains.

Heads up girls hahaha x

I think our first are a practice run :p

That sounds fab. Once a week is good for me, Id have my sis over permanently towards the end :p

She can be your in house reiki master :p

xxxx

Ah, I've always wanted to give birth at home, I'd love to be able to xx

Isit a definate no no for u? Or would ur consultant let u consider it if ur pregnancy keeps going ok hun?? Xx

I'm sure it would be a definite no, as they've said they will let me have a go at labour but I don't think they're confident that I won't end up needing a section! xx

So i'm going to discuss with my mw next week..

But can anyone share with me what items they put in a little box for a dry land birth?

Im thinking:

3-4 cheap shower curtains
Clear plastic (new) decorating sheet
Old king size duvet to make a nest on my living room floor
Old but clean towels
Sented Candles
Reiki music

Tea and biscuits out ready for mum & mw to make and help themselves too

Have hosp bags packed ready to go incase, but keep on top Charlies outfit to put on him if homebirth is a success.

I dno if im missing anything. Google & pintrest takes me to 37382 american sites...

All sounds pretty good. Maybe some bed mats incase your waters go. Don't want to get the duvet all wet if they go early in labour. Sonetimes apparently mw's like an adjustable lamp for if they need to do stitches etc but I'm sure your home birth team will know more and give a list. Then just your usuals like comfy clothes, pants, maternity pads etc

Are you not having a pool now? xx

Im guna grab a pack of the mat sheets from boots for my bed. I slept under a blackbag and towel mind haha!
I drove around with a black bag and towel too i was so scared my waters would go in the car haha!

Got all the last bits too as spares so some for hosp bag and then for homebirth.

No, not going to bother. I dont really have the money to spare even if i get it all 2nd hand. Plus since this post myself and the boys dad r no longer together so it would mean my mum is the one responsible to fill up my pool for me lol, i can see her faffing over me and forgetting to do it properly lol!

Hiring is £90 new, again the cost incase i dnt even get to use it is to much!
Im alright though, like i said before my MLU 10mins down the rd has one in every room! But i want a homebirth more than a waterbirth now, so i don't mind missing out.

For me this is the most stress free opition, dnt have to panic about Noah beong collected and getting myaelf to hosp.
Ex OH isnt going to be at the birth, but he was insisting me waited up the hosp till he was born leaving Noah with his parents or Gparents...
I told him if he wasnt a birthing partner he wouldnt be able to wait in ward and plus it could be hours!
So told him to just have Noah at his house, I'm going to go ahead with the homebirth and that way he doesn't have to wait for visiting hours, he came come back here once all cleaned up with Noah to meet Charlie.

Sorted lol!

I've got my home birth midwife visiting next week to run through things with me so will update with what she says.

I've read that a torch and mirror are handy for checks.

I got my son a new mattress but kept his old one to use for dry land in case I'm kneeling.

Also towels - again I'm treating myself to some new ones so I've got old ones that I could throw away.

Drinking straws, bouncy ball and tens are all on my list.
I'm also looking into some aromatherapy oils - clary sage and lavender. Used these last time at home but obviously didn't have them at hospital.

Can't think of anything else right now!

Thanks girls!

I have my ball ready and waiting, got torch, ill get a better handheld mirror though.

Now ur listing these things ive forgot to add them to my list even tho i have them lol!!

guna get my note pad & pen!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back