HOME BIRTHS - who is having one / wanting one??

babyslog

Reaction score
It has been playing on my mind alot..

MW had mentioned at my last appointment that id be a good candiate. But i can't budge the anxious feeling when ever I have a good think about one!

I'd love it! I'm also only a 5-10min max drive away from hosp..

Only cons -

• Did fancy a water birth but cant really afford the price of hiring one.. ( my mlc has one in every room so id defo have a choice of one if i was to birth at the hosp)

• Last pregnancy I bled a bit and almost needed to go to theatre to stitch up my 2nd degree tear as alot was internal.

• There was alot of meconium in my waters

• Had to be taken out of the birthing pool, sent from midwifery led up to consultant due to the meconium and the fact his heart rate was high one min then really low the next, so a clip has to be put on his head.

• Had a bit of a scare near the end where i couldnt get him out and he was born quite purple.

Pros -

• Labour was 8hrs from 1st contraction to him being in my arms

• Only needed G&A & im hoping thats all i'd need again

• Apart from the cons above my labour was fairly straight forward!

• Hospital isn't far at all

• Currently no issues in pregnancy

I dno why id be a perfect candidate as i thought due to my cons listed they would want me to birth at the hosp again!?

Can anyone share any home birth stories for me?? X

Last edited:
Hi, I'd love a home birth! Like you though thought the birth pool was very expensive, I also live in a 2 up 2 down house with a very excitable golden retriever. I just can't help thinking a home birth would be a complete nightmare due to lack of space, it's crazy that were going to fit a baby along with all her stuff into our house :D

As you aren't too far from hospital I would say go for it, especially if you have a good rapport with your community midwives x

Thabks hun!
Such a touch decision isnt it!

Im going to have a good change with my mw next week and see what she suggests again.

Good think i spose is prep for one and if i chance my mind on the day it doesnt matter and can still go to hospital! Xx

I'm planning a home birth this time but want to birth on dry land. I'm part of a Facebook group for home births - worth a look as lots of mums have used paddling pools rather than birthing pools. It's very empowering reading the home birth stories as like you I'm a bit apprehensive but I know I can change my mind at any point and head to hospital as its close. X

I'm having a home birth (I hope!) and am really excited about it. I've got a pool for £20 on eBay and bought a new liner (£30) for it- we've tested the pool but deliberately haven't opened the liner so if it doesn't go to plan I can sell it on myself. My OH had lots of concerns about it but our midwife has been so reassuring- it's really worth talking it all through very carefully and asking loads of questions. If there was meconium in your water again or the heartbeat was unsteady (they monitor it regularly) they would get you straight to hospital- those were two of the things we were worried about too. Hope you can have a really good chat with your midwife! I'm due in a few weeks so feel free to DM me to find out how it went if you're still undecided :)

Thanks girls!!!

I think im 90% sure i want one now :)

Ive just requested to join a few HB fb groups. Going to watch a few more youtube vids too.

Think ill decide ina few weeks if i want a pool at home, but dnt really have the space. So think i may set up to labour in living room, but also set up my bed incase i want to be more comfortable there and protect that.. But keep clean sheet, duvet and pillows in my LBs room ready for OH to make out bed fresh afterwards.

Guna have a chat with MW next wedk and go from there :)
Im very excited at the thought! My mum gives reiki to people, i love the music she plays whilst giving it to me. So i want that, dimmed lights and some candles :) xx

Wow, I wish you could come and set my house up too- sounds gorgeous!!

Ah, I've always wanted to give birth at home, I'd love to be able to xx

Ah, I've always wanted to give birth at home, I'd love to be able to xx

Isit a definate no no for u? Or would ur consultant let u consider it if ur pregnancy keeps going ok hun?? Xx

Wow, I wish you could come and set my house up too- sounds gorgeous!!

Thats the scene in my head anyway! Haha!

FX it goes that way!

Ill be stalking u for ur birth story! Xx

Id love a home birth but have quite close neighbours. I heard him have a cough or 50 last night..

I think if mw lets you go for it. Any issues they will get you to the hospital.

I know how much better and relaxed I felt at home after. All tension left when I sat on my bed.

Id go for it if you can.

xxxx

Just so you know, some hospitals have birth pools 'in a box' that they will drop off with your home birth kit if you say you want a home water birth. If you are having an NHS home birth that doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy or hire your own pool. Do double check with your hospital in case they have birth pools they can loan you.

I'm planning to have a home birth but I've decided on a 'dry land' birth for a few reasons (I did really want a water birth but a few things recently changed my mind, so going to stick to birthing on my bed but maybe use the bath during the labour.)

I hope you get what you want. Personally I can't think of anything worse but I'm a very clinical person. My friends wife had an accidental home birth, but that's as much as k know about it.

Good luck in deciding

I'm still between MLU or home birth. I think if I stay at home it'll be almost last minute decision and there won't be a pool - not too bothered by this though. We've only got 1 at MLU so it's not guaranteed anyway.

My main/only concern at home is my little boy. Will you be sending Noah up to your MIL? I won't be able to do it if I think Jake could hear me and think I'm in pain. It would upset him too much!!

Did the meconium and heart rate changes indicate baby was stressed last time? Am I making that up, that that's what these things mean? If I'm not, then you've hopefully got less chance if you're in your own relaxed environment. Hospitals, even birthing centres, can be a bit stressful just because they're not your usual surroundings! Xx

I'm going for a home birth this time. 1st was an emcs and 2nd I had a retained placenta so needed hospital assistance both times but I hated being in hospital and on my own for the fist night with baby and away from my family. I am going to have to see a supervisor of midwives to go over the risks as I'm not an ideal candidate lol

James was born 30mins after arriving at hospital and that was with me having to really pressure them into letting me go in, so I could've had him at home anyway. Think it was 6 hrs from first niggles but only 2hrs from thinking I'm in labour! Again Harry was born 3hrs45mins after contractions started and I was 8cm so guess labour would've been a similar length to James.

I have bought a pool 2nd hard for £35 with everything just need a liner for £20 and I can easily sell on the pool again after for the same. I am so excited about it ad can't wait to experience it especially after reading all the home birth stories on fb groups.

I'm hoping I labour through the night and both boys stay asleep and wake up to a new baby lol but it during the day Harry could be at nursery or the boys will go to my in laws 5 mins walk away. They say you will only labour when you are relaxed and calm so it your worried about childcare it could delay labour.

Dry run to see size of my pool :) xx
29b5169d325724ca4d4d8924f8b617f7.jpg

I also have a few shower curtains which will cover sofa and floor and an old duvet incase I want to labour on dry land. Also they recommend when you start labour on the bed put a clean sheet on the bed, then put a protective sheet down/shower curtain and then an old sheet so that you can literally take off the old sheet and protective sheet and get into a fresh bed asap xx

I'm still between MLU or home birth. I think if I stay at home it'll be almost last minute decision and there won't be a pool - not too bothered by this though. We've only got 1 at MLU so it's not guaranteed anyway.

My main/only concern at home is my little boy. Will you be sending Noah up to your MIL? I won't be able to do it if I think Jake could hear me and think I'm in pain. It would upset him too much!!

Did the meconium and heart rate changes indicate baby was stressed last time? Am I making that up, that that's what these things mean? If I'm not, then you've hopefully got less chance if you're in your own relaxed environment. Hospitals, even birthing centres, can be a bit stressful just because they're not your usual surroundings! Xx

His heart rate changes started 20mins after getting into the pool at the hosp. The MW made the pool too hot!
So i got out on the bed and his hesrt rate regulated again.

Then my waters went at 7cms. Full of meconium and everywhere (scared even if theres no meconium that itll end up splatted up my living room wall lol!!)

His HR then kept dipping. So they rushed me up to CL which is only the next floor up in the hosp to put a clip on his head for closer monitoring.

Other than that he came out fine, just purple due to how long it took me to get him out right at the end..

I have my 4D scan today, if Charlie seems to be measuring big ill be cautious and discuss everything in future mw apps.

I think im still pretty much set for a HB.. Talked to my mum and OH last time who will be birthing partners and both backing me of my choice.

Noah will be going to my MILs, but shell be 45mins away in work if it was to happen on a week day. Hes in nursery twice a week so if it fell on those days she will collect him. If its a day hes home with me i dnt mind so much in early labour. I wasnt a screamer in his labour and linda dealt with the contractions in silence lol (not like me at all! Normally moan about a stubbed toe haha!!)
But i think id actually feel less stressed having him wait here with me while mike, my mum and MW arrive then i would if i was waited for MIL to get here aswell as get myself to hosp!

We shall see what happens! Xx

Last edited:
I'm going for a home birth this time. 1st was an emcs and 2nd I had a retained placenta so needed hospital assistance both times but I hated being in hospital and on my own for the fist night with baby and away from my family. I am going to have to see a supervisor of midwives to go over the risks as I'm not an ideal candidate lol

James was born 30mins after arriving at hospital and that was with me having to really pressure them into letting me go in, so I could've had him at home anyway. Think it was 6 hrs from first niggles but only 2hrs from thinking I'm in labour! Again Harry was born 3hrs45mins after contractions started and I was 8cm so guess labour would've been a similar length to James.

I have bought a pool 2nd hard for £35 with everything just need a liner for £20 and I can easily sell on the pool again after for the same. I am so excited about it ad can't wait to experience it especially after reading all the home birth stories on fb groups.

I'm hoping I labour through the night and both boys stay asleep and wake up to a new baby lol but it during the day Harry could be at nursery or the boys will go to my in laws 5 mins walk away. They say you will only labour when you are relaxed and calm so it your worried about childcare it could delay labour.

Dry run to see size of my pool :) xx
29b5169d325724ca4d4d8924f8b617f7.jpg

I was ebaying birthing pools at midnight lastnight ahaha!!

Some going real cheap!

I think ill price up the hose, adaptors and liner new with a 2nd hand pool and see how much cheaper itll work out.
I dnt wanna spend loads ifni end up in hosp, also every birthing room in my midwifery led unit has a pool!
So paying this knowing 10mins down the rd id defo have a big massive proper pool will be annoying haha!
i tried the bath with Noah before i left for the hosp and i hated it! Im 6ft, so baths r a no go in general for me haha!

Im excited for u kanga! Sounds all perfect!!!! X

See I can't go in my local birth centre as they won't allow me too due to the complications I've had previously. Which sucks as that would be my first choice as it's 5 mins away yet our hospital is nearly 40mins without rush hour traffic!

I think if I had a birth centre with pools in every room just 10 mins away I would go there than through the hassle of getting a pool for home.

I just hope I have zero complications this time and I can have baby at home then curl up on the sofa with all my boys for the day and just enjoy it. Getting tears just thinking about how perfect it could be. My fear is if I go to hospital we would end up staying the night and I would be spending it on my own instead of with hubby and him missing out on those precious few hours yet again xx

Ive out a reservation in for this http://www.waterbabybirthingpoolhir...x-Mini-with-Accessories-Kit.html#.VrxhsUXfXCQ

I dnt have to pay till 36wks. Its a mini too so will fit perfect in my room
I no it sounds silly knowing i have the pools at the hosp. But i like the fact its at home!
Nothing set in stone obviously.. Im only 28wks tomorrow too, so ill see what mw says again next week, how the rest of my pregnancy pans out.

If i still 100% want a water birth, by 36wks ill decide if im happy to pay the £90 for having one at home with all the bits or just go to the hosp..
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back