Holidays and flying in second trimester

Dovekie

Reaction score
I'm going to the Canary Islands for Christmas, when I'll be 17-18 weeks. We booked it before I was pregnant. Is there anything I need to consider regarding the flights, temperatures, and being so far away from my doctor?

You should be fine. I would take your maternity notes with you just in case. The weather should be mild, so not much to worry about. As for the flight, just consider what might help to make you more comfortable, neck support and things like that. I'd pack little snacks. I don't know about you, but I snack a lot, and I wouldn't want to spend the prices they charge to keep them coming.

Have fun and enjoy!

I went away around 20 weeks with my son and was fine. I would be more careful with food a drink. For example, I wouldn't drink the water (apart from bottled) and wouldn't have salad either as would be washed in the water. I forgot this once when I went away and I got a parasite in stomach, not sure if it was from that but can't be too careful.
I agree, take notes and find out where nearest medical centre/hospital is just to be on the safe side. When I went, in order to be covered on insurance, I needed a fitness to travel note from GP, worth looking into as wouldn't want to be left with a big bill, even if its not preg related, you wouldn't be covered. Could be different with different insurers though xx

Last edited:
I've also got holiday booked. I'll be 24-26 weeks. I'm only going to the French Alps though, so not too much to worry about with water and jabs etc.

My travel insurance runs out before the holiday so I'll just check on renewal that I'm still covered for pregnancy related issues.

Agree about taking plenty of snacks for the plane, I'm often starving. Also make sure you keep moving and have a wander about the plane, how long is the flight?

Ok, thanks everyone. I don't think I have travel insurance. Yes, I'll definitely have snacks with me. I'm not sure how I'll be feeling by then but it is dangerous to go anywhere without snacks right now in case I feel sick.

I'll try to be organised and get all of this sorted out..... not long to go!

Also make sure you keep moving and have a wander about the plane, how long is the flight?

It's 4.5 hours, which isn't that long really. I drive for longer than that every week.

Get yourself some pressure socks. I flew to New York at around 14/15 weeks and trave, socks were highly recommend for flying when I did a lot of research into flying whilst pregnant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back