Holding things in both hands

Manda&Thomas

Reaction score
Hi all
Thomas has this weird thing where he wont hold something in both hands at the same time.
He will hold things in his left and right hand apart and pass something from hand to hand but never something in both hands.

Even with a beaker he will only use one hand, I have tried to get him to hold 2 things at once but he will drop whatever it is he is holding in favor of the new thing.

Is this normal? can they not hold things in both hands yet?
Im not worried about his development in any other way as hes ahead of what he should be even on speech which i was told he wouldnt be.

Do you think it could be because ive taught him to share and not snatch from people so he only likes to hold 1 thing at a time? He wont even hold 2 things in 1 hand only single things even with food.

Any advice would be great
thanks
xx

C only tends to use one hand

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply :)
maybe its somethng they dont do untill later then :) atleast i no hes not just being a bit odd
Thanks again
xx

Maia will hold things with both hands, particularly balls which require two hands to hold.

How does thomas pick up and hold a ball?

he picks them up and holds them with 1 hand
he only has small balls rather then football sized ones they are about the size of a large egg but round
xx

Manda&Thomas said:
he picks them up and holds them with 1 hand
he only has small balls rather then football sized ones they are about the size of a large egg but round
xx

We have a few balls all different sizes ranging from just slightly larger than an egg to a baby football but nothing bigger. Maia can pick up the juggling balls with one hand and they're squishy which I think helps her but the bigger ones require 2 hands. Maybe invest in a bigger ball and see how he manages?

Thanks for that i worry that if he has anything bigger he will then learn to throw it.
Will keep my eyes peeled for a bigger ball though
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back