High BMI

Lolly85x

Reaction score
Hi ladies. At my booking in appointment I had a high BMI of 33 :( my midwife never told me this was high, it was never mentioned at all. Now only through reading things up online, I am reading that I should be under consultant care? Iv been told I am suitable for green pathway, iv only had 2scans. Midwife appointment at 16, 22 ad next at 28 weeks. Got told I wouldn't get any other scans.
I have put on 12lbs since my booking in appointment, so BMI will be even higher. I am a size 14/16. Wouldn't say I was massive.
Should I be asking at my 28weeks appointment next week to see a consultant? I'm confused.

i think if its a few points over they dont seem to bother. My bmi was 30 at booking app and ive been begging for a another scan but my midwife says im fine and said its only really for people with a bmi for 35 and over. I guess it just depends where you live and how strict they are about it.

Mine was 31 at booking and I was under normal midwife care

I am 29 and they originally put me down as consultant led then realised I had no other risk factors then downgraded me. There is an option to have the baby in a midwife unit in the hospital, they said my bmi was probably too high for that apparently still

Last edited:
My BMI was 31 or 32 at booking in. I'm under consultant care and get 2 growth scans at 28 and 36 weeks. I do, however, have other factors such as I'm gonna be 40 a few weeks before baby is born and suffer with CFS amongst other things. I think if it were just my weight I wouldn't have to be under consultant care and definitely different hospitals do different things.

my bmi was 39 at booking, 40 at end of preg, i had no extra scans and wasnt under a consultant either. i had a normal, unassisted delivery of a 10lb 14oz baby girl lol. i am almost 6ft tall and broad too.

the only issues were they found it too hard to get the epidural in so i ended up telling them to forget it, i had to be constantly monitored while in active labour (thank god i got to 9cm before they put me on the monitor) its harder and not nice being stuck on a bed. they said no pool or mlu cos of my bmi and i had 2 GTT tests cos of weight and glucose in my urine

My BMI is 37.5 and I am having baby at a Midwife led unit but with a special care plan, I had to fight to get this but it is your choice where and how you have your baby, ultimately you are the one having it, I have seen a consultant twice who both times asked why I was seeing him as I had had no other complications.

I did have to have a GTT because of it but that came in normal.

I have had 3 scans, 12 weeks, 20 weeks and 34 weeks the 34 week scan was because I had an Anterior Placenta though and that has moved YAY :), I think they scan more if you have a high glucose level after your GTT or if you have complications during your pregnancy.

All in all I wouldn't worry too much about it, you can ask to see a consultant but if you have had no problems during your pregnancy I wouldn't worry.

xxxxx

I feel ill and underweight after reading this thread!!
If all those BMI readings are considered normal, mine is ridiculously low at 21.3!!
The mw has never mentioned it, she just wrote it down x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I feel ill and underweight after reading this thread!!
If all those BMI readings are considered normal, mine is ridiculously low at 21.3!!
The mw has never mentioned it, she just wrote it down x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

There just at the higher end of the scale, I wouldn't say you were underweight x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back