High blood pressure and newly pregnant: advice please girls!

JulesK81

Reaction score
I am more of a long-term lurker than poster, but I am a bit worried about something and thought I might ask you lovely ladies if you have had anything similar!

I have a daughter who's 5 months - all through my pregnancy with her, my BP was totally normal and directly after, even though I had put on loads of weight during the pregnancy.

I went to the docs last week to get pregnancy confirmed and he checked my BP - it was 170/80 - YIKES!!!! I am going through an awful lot of stress at the moment and I know this can affect it and I am trying to be uber healthy to shed some weight before this pregnancy kicks in and out pops my belly.

Is there anything else I can do or has anyone had experience of high BP during early pregnancy? I have my midwife appointment this afternoon and am wondering what to expect because of high systolic BP? I am so nervous about it, but I know this won't do a thing to help bring it down!

Thanks x

Try going for a long walk every day (at least 2 miles) and cut out crap. You should really be doing anything else if you are not used to excersise.

:wave: I have high BP and it got majorly worse in the last part of pregnancy. So much so that they suspected pre-eclampsia and I had to go into the day assessment unit a few times for extended tests. I was at something like 180/100 during labor, epidural brought it down.

Did they measure your BP with one of those machine cuffs, or did they do it by hand? If it was done with an automated cuff, rather than one that's pumped up by hand, it might be giving a higher reading. I always found I tested lower with a manual/hand pump.

How is your salt intake? It's worth cutting down on salt as it's been linked to higher blood pressure.

Lastly, it might be a good idea to go in and have your BP checked again. Do 2 different readings. Make sure you're relaxed beforehand (not huffing and puffing from the walk to the GP's).

Good luck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back