Helping the Daddy Bond with Baby

HelpingDaddyBo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a graduate student at Indiana University and I'm doing a project on designing technology that can help fathers feel more connected to their unborn (and newborn) child. We as woman obviously feel a huge connection to the baby, as it is growing inside of us, but how can we help the father start to feel the connection? I thought what better way to get research on this than asking real people?

If you can answer any of the questions below, it would be a great help. You can answer it for the father (by say that you are), or have the father answer themselves.

What did the father do/are doing to help make a connection between you and your child? (both born and unborn)

What do you/the father wish he/you could do, but don't have the means?

You may also respond if you have any other opinions or thoughts on the topic. Anything can be helpful! You might also help other expecting fathers learn new tips!

Thanks! And let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I'm a graduate student at Indiana University and I'm doing a project on designing technology that can help fathers feel more connected to their unborn (and newborn) child. We as woman obviously feel a huge connection to the baby, as it is growing inside of us, but how can we help the father start to feel the connection? I thought what better way to get research on this than asking real people?

If you can answer any of the questions below, it would be a great help. You can answer it for the father (by say that you are), or have the father answer themselves.

What did the father do/are doing to help make a connection between you and your child? (both born and unborn)

What do you/the father wish he/you could do, but don't have the means?

You may also respond if you have any other opinions or thoughts on the topic. Anything can be helpful! You might also help other expecting fathers learn new tips!

Thanks! And let me know if you have any questions.

I asked my husband and his responses are:

1) I always talk to the bump and rub my wifes belly when the baby is kicking.

2) I just want the baby to feel in tune/connected with me. As it hears its mothers heartbeat and is already creating a bond with the mother, it would be nice to start a bond from baby to daddy in the womb.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for, but I hope it helped :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I asked my husband ... he replied

"I'm not a father yet"

:shock: :faint:

I'm screwed!

Lol oh dear! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Mine is rubbing oils and creams into my belly at night time to help prevent itching and stretch marks and whilst he is doing it he kisses my belly and says hello to baby.

Only thing we both wish is that he could share some of the sickness and pains! But my hubby says he just generally feels like a spare part at the moment

My hubby rubs my belly, feels the baby kicking and talks to him, so as he gets used to his voice. Other than that there is little that he can do to apart from support my physical needs, such as a back rub, foot rub, carrying the shopping, lifting heavy stuff etc.

Good luck with your research.

It's far too early for OH to have any real involvement BUT he did get very emotional seeing HB last week (more emotional than me actually :shock:)

He knows from a certain point bub will be able to hear him so he is trying to curb his potty mouth in advance :oooo:

He does rub my tummy and ask how his bambino is, although this is a new development as prior to seeing HB he barely acknowleged I was pregnant - with out history I kind of understand.

I want him to be there during labour, he is not at all keen on that LOL! He'll be fine though....

I reckon he'll be an amazing Dad... But he does have a lot to learn

xxxxxxxx

Hey :wave:

My OH rubs my belly and talks to the baby. He rubs in my cocoa butter too (which is good for my skin and for helping me to relax).

He says if he could go through all the sickness and acheyness he would. He also said he'd love to be able to feel what it's like to have someone kicking you from the inside haha! I'd like to be able to see the baby, almost like a 'tellytubby' type deal but I doubt that will ever be possible haha!

Hope this is useful :)

Make a pregnancy ticker

I asked my husband ... he replied

"I'm not a father yet"

:shock: :faint:

I'm screwed!

So funny as i pretty much got the same response.
More like... I talk to our son and scream come on Palace at the tv when footballs on what more does he need whilst your doing it all...

:shakehead: Gosh help me haha... Good luck with your studies though not that i was help much!! :lol:

Thank you for all the responses! These are great! Believe it or not, everything is helpful! When I'm done with my project I'll try and post my findings here to help out other new parents/expecting parents :)

Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
My OH runs my belly and talks to it, occasionally he kisses it to haha xxx

My husband was great throughout this pregnancy. He came to every scan and hospital appointment and always made sure I was OK, as well as kissing and cuddling the bump.

I've had a number of losses over the years, so we didn't really celebrate this baby until I was at least 24 weeks, as we knew that he would be viable if he came early. By around 30 weeks we started to relax more and prepare for the arrival, even deciding on his name.

As I said my husband has been a great support throughout this pregnancy journey. He also helped when I was in labour, rubbing my back, holding my hand and helping me breathe through the pain.

Since the birth, he has helped in bathing as well as giving him loads of cuddles. It is only now sinking in that we have got a beautiful, gorgeous and healthy boy in our family, after all the heartache we've endured.

I can't wait to start to bottle feed Alex, as husband can then do his share of the night feeds!

He is such a great and loving Dad and he says he feels like a new one, even though we have a 20 year old daughter!!

Hope that helps.

x x Rosie x x

Last edited:
My husband started his new job today, whilst I was still half asleep he put his arms around my belly to feel for kicks. He does this every morning, but today he was after a "good luck Daddy" kick. Unfortunately for him baby was kicking, but just in the area where he couldn't feel it!!

Hubby gives my belly a kiss quite regularly now that it is bigger. When it was small he would only really focus on belly when I was laying down ready for bed. Now he gives it a kiss when I get home from work etc.

I think when they can see your belly change and feel kicks that is when Daddy's really start to make a connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back