Help with weaning please!

Kelly..xo

Reaction score
Hey all. Our baby boy is 16 week old on Sunday, when do we start him on baby food? The containers say 16 weeks but my HV has told us not until 20 weeks? Also how do we include it in his milk routine? I must sound stupid but with it being my first I have no idea! X

The containers say 16 weeks cos the law with regards to advertising hasn't caught up with currents research. You should be aiming for 6 months if possible, but certainly not before 17weeks.

The earlier you wean the higher the risk of allergies/IBS etc.

It is the process of switching your babies from breast feeding to solid food. You need to start to give the baby food when your baby is around 6 months. Weaning is the important step in your babies development. The signs of weaning would be once the baby learned crawling or to walk.
Wikipedia has provided an information about weaning here am sharing the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaning

If you start weaning before 6 months there are certain foods to steer clear of - wheat and dairy being the main ones; these are classed as high allergy foods and should only be introduced in isolation after 6 months. Babies can't have honey until 12 months and can't drink cow's milk either (it's ok to cook with it or give them foods with it in after 6 months just not as a drink).

It isn't advised to start weaning until your LO is holding their own head up, able to sit up straight in a high chair and showing an interest in your food. Weaning is time consuming and hard work so I wouldn't start it until your LO is ready!

It is the process of switching your babies from breast feeding to solid food. You need to start to give the baby food when your baby is around 6 months. Weaning is the important step in your babies development. The signs of weaning would be once the baby learned crawling or to walk.
Wikipedia has provided an information about weaning here am sharing the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaning

Crawl or walking?? Surely that's not right as some babies don't crawl until very late. I've just started weaning my almost 20 week old as she can sit up in high chair and is very interested in food (has been for while)

In my area the health visitors recommend at 5.5 months to start With purées. I had thought it was 6 months but went to a class when my Lo was 5 months and I was the only one who hadn't started. I registered with hipp organic and cow and gate online and have been sent lots of info.

My lg is 5.5 months now and been having purées usually twice a day and about 6 spoonfuls each time, we're still just playing really and experimenting. She still has all her milk feeds and if she has a mealtime where she doesn't want it then no problem.

She can sit in her high chair but she's certainly not crawling or walking. My little girl had rye neck when she was born so held her head up later than most babies and can only just roll. She loves her food though and every thing has been on the health visitors advice

Edited to add... To begin with she'd have her 9.30 am milk and then I'd give it a little while to settle and then sit her in the high chair and give her a taste. Even before I started feeding her she'd sit in the high chair when I had my meals and I'd give her the spoon to hold

Last edited:
The advice is to start at about 6 months but a lot of people start earlier. I dont think there is a huge difference between 5.5 months and 6 months but personally I think 4 months is too young unless there is a medical reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back