Help required please!

Lea_photo

Reaction score
Hi all, our little boy is three weeks old on Sunday and we seem to be having some problems feeding. I did start off BF but in all honesty I struggled and it was making us both miserable. Josh started off fine on the Tommee bottles teat 1 and would take the milk and go three/four hours on a night and feed taking 90mls. Just recently he is having little and more often and we are not sure if it is a growth spurt or something else. He has also just been fitted with a Pavlik harness as he is having some trouble with his right hip so we are worried this might be too tight and restricting his swallowing. I suppose it will take some feeing used to though.

We have tried the vari flow and size 2 teats. More ends up down his neck than being swallowed!! We have tried giving him a dummy in case it's just comfort he wants. We have tried warming the milk, tried hungry baby milk but still no joy. We noticed the aptimil powder doesn't always seem to dissolve very well also. He just seems generally a bit unsettled and takes a while to get back off to sleep on a night time now. Just wondering if this is all part of being brand new or something else.

I also read about tongue tie and will ask the midwive about it tomorrow. He is producing plenty of both nappies as well.

Hi. I would think you would need a size 1 teat for a newborn? size 2 are generally for 2months+. Maybe try that? thats proberly why its spilling out his mouth etc. My lg didnt get on with tommee tippee, she much prefers Avent anti colic bottles x

Thanks. We have tried those also. I suppose its trial and error at this age isn't it. We will give them another try. Thanks.

I just fed on demand at this age every 2 or so hrs and it prob is a growth spurt d

Sounds like Max, I spoke to my HV about it and she said babies have a growth spurt at 3 weeks!
I am just feeding Max aptimal 1 on demand using size 1 tommee tippee teats. He is taking 3-4oz every 2-2.5 hours at the
moment but he is gaining weight perfectly xx

Try different bottles as tommee tippee are not the best in their design.

I'd say it was just a growth spurt.. I fed on demand with Ethan and he usually lasted about 3 hours before feeding again.. You'll probably find that it won't be long before he starts to go longer stretches between feeds again xx

the unsettled-ness could be due to wind. Just make sure you are burping for long enough, and maybe try some anti-colic bottles. I swear by Dr Browns.

after we failed at BF-ing to at 3 weeks we started on tommee tippee anti colic bottles and Aptamil. LO got colic.
we swapped to Dr Browns which helped loads, but then LO was getting quite constipated, only going every 3-4 days. So we moved to Hipp milk and it was brilliant! Less wind and lovely poops every day.

but defo a size 1 teat at 3 weeks old. x

Temperance spills so much out of her mouth with tommee tippee she needed changing clothes every feed, we tried loads of bottles and dr browns are the only ones that dont spill, i got 7 off ebay for £10 but maybe just buy one to try as there expecive new. xx

Temperance spills so much out of her mouth with tommee tippee she needed changing clothes every feed, we tried loads of bottles and dr browns are the only ones that dont spill, i got 7 off ebay for £10 but maybe just buy one to try as there expecive new. xx

yeah we never used bibs until she was about 3mnths old! I had bought heaps and was starting to think they were a waste of money.

but oh my do we get through them now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back