Help on first midwife appointments/scans

McCheese

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my first app with midwife on 1st December which is 10 weeks and ultrasound booked on 12th Dec which is 12 weeks

My questions are:

1) the midwife app, what happens there? Is it one my partner might want/need to come to?

2) the scan, how long roughly are you at hospital for this? I'm having to lie to work about the app and finding it hard so knowing how long the scan tends to take will help!!

Thanks

Hi, sorry I can't help you with your questions! But just a query myself, how did you go about getting a scan booked? I've got a midwife appt booked but not my scan yet as I didn't know I could? Who should I speak to?

Last edited:
midwife appointment lasted about 45 min's but then I had to wait for my blood to be taken etc so ended up being there a couple of hours. they ask about family history on both sides but I got sent my notes in the post so could fill them out beforehand.

my scan I was in there about 20 mins but again had to hae bloods done for the screening and then a quick chat with the midwife so ended up being there about 2 hours again lol

I'd allow at least a couple of hours for both appointments - they tale about half an hour each if I remember rightly but our midwife and hospital scan clinic are notorious for always running late! Xx

I didn't bother taking my hubby to first midwife appointment, they just ask you loads of questions and fill in your booklet. They do ask about family history of some illnesses I think, so you might want to take him if you aren't sure of his history or check with him first. The 16 week midwife appointment they listen to the heartbeat so you might want to take your partner to that one xx

Hi, sorry I can't help you with your questions! But just a query myself, how did you go about getting a scan booked? I've got a midwife appt booked but not my scan yet as I didn't know I could? Who should I speak to?

You don't need to book your scan, an appointment will be sent out to you automatically I'm the post once you have had your midwife appointment :) xx

Last edited:
Thank you Ams25! Hopefully it'll be before Christmas then!! Would be nice to show baby off to people at Christmas time!

Good luck with your appts McCheese!

Hi, firstly, congratulations!

Is that a private scan you've booked? My first midwife appointment is the 21st Nov, I'll only just be 7 weeks. Also hoping scan will be before crimbo but have a feeling it'll be early Jan! xxx

Each area does it slightly differently. I found it very useful to take my husband with me for the booking in it lasted 1hr30min they asked me about all my medical history and family history and pregnancy history (that took a while) and about his. I found going through this with husband the night before meant nothing was missed out. the took blood and wee they weigh you and tell you about foods you should avoid etc. For me they then send off for the us after that. They ask what testing you want sti''s as well as baby screaming.

The 12 week scan they are always late lol. and your desperate for a wee the whole time. But they do the screening there and again it takes ages and they often take blood there too. In fact expect blood and pee to be taken every appointment you have lol. Now your pregnant the hospital vampires become very interested in you lol.
My scan is at 2:20 so I'm leaving work at 1. (You have to drink quote a bit before the scan and get there) and I told term not to expect me back in work as I finish at 5.

Last edited:

Hi, when we found out I was pregnant I booked an app with my GP. He did the hospital referral for my scan and told me to personally book the midwife at reception.

The letter from the hospital confirming my scan app only arrived yesterday, so it took exactly one week to arrive

If you're worried maybe just ring your gp?

Hi, firstly, congratulations!

Is that a private scan you've booked? My first midwife appointment is the 21st Nov, I'll only just be 7 weeks. Also hoping scan will be before crimbo but have a feeling it'll be early Jan! xxx

Congratulations to you too!!

No all through the gold ol' NHS!! My GP said 10 weeks is ideal for first midwife app and I said it's normally 12-14 weeks for first scan

I just want to stop lying!!! In the last 2 weeks we've had a wedding, and engagement party and a birthday party. So I've had a fake UTI and antibiotics to get me through those.

I've sorted my midwife app with no questions asked through work but now I've gotta try and wangle to scan for 12 days later...another 2 hours it seems. I need to come up with something different!!

Suggestions welcome!

Each area does it slightly differently. I found it very useful to take my husband with me for the booking in it lasted 1hr30min they asked me about all my medical history and family history and pregnancy history (that took a while) and about his. I found going through this with husband the night before meant nothing was missed out. the took blood and wee they weigh you and tell you about foods you should avoid etc. For me they then send off for the us after that. They ask what testing you want sti''s as well as baby screaming.

The 12 week scan they are always late lol. and your desperate for a wee the whole time. But they do the screening there and again it takes ages and they often take blood there too. In fact expect blood and pee to be taken every appointment you have lol. Now your pregnant the hospital vampires become very interested in you lol.
My scan is at 2:20 so I'm leaving work at 1. (You have to drink quote a bit before the scan and get there) and I told term not to expect me back in work as I finish at 5.

Thank you that's so useful 😃👍

Have you told your work the truth?

That's good to know!.. I have my appointment with my GP next week so maybe they'll get me booked in for my scan then.

I haven't had to lie to anyone just yet.. I don't drink much anyway so it's not unusual for me to turn down a drink! This wait is killing me though, I thought the 2WW was bad!

Luckily, I have plenty of holiday left to take at work so I will just take appointment days off which will make it easier!

xxxx

I was told I couldn't bring my oh to my booking in, so you may want to check if yours can come or not. The actual appointment took about 45 mins but they were running late and then I had to wait for bloods so I was there a bit longer. Mine was at 12 weeks.

My scan was a week later, my baby wasn't in a good position so we had to go away, wait a bit and then try again. We opted for testing so I had to wait for bloods again. We were there a good 2 hours, but could have been less if baby had been in a favourable position to start with or longer if they still hadn't moved after lunch! My husband and I work together, he just said he was taking me for a hospital appointment. I've had quite a few over the last few years so while they may suspect it is fertility related noone says anything.

I've had to tell work for a few reason's
1. I work lifting things and I've has bad pelvic girdle pain
2. I was of work for nearly 6 weeks with hyperemesis delightful!
3. I have a bump so big it doesn't exactly take a to let scientist to work it out lol

(Sometimes they don't let oh there as they want to ask if you're being domestically abused but she asked that in my first quick appointment and in my son's pregnancy they asked for 5 mind alone with me and 5 min's alone with him they asked us both with my son's booking in if we had slept about / had any previous kids our partner didn't know about) but my mw ia my son''s best friends mum so no secrets there though it was a bit awkward handing her my wee lol.

Attachments

• 2016-10-19 08.23.02.jpg
    2016-10-19 08.23.02.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I've had to tell work for a few reason's
1. I work lifting things and I've has bad pelvic girdle pain
2. I was of work for nearly 6 weeks with hyperemesis delightful!
3. I have a bump so big it doesn't exactly take a to let scientist to work it out lol

(Sometimes they don't let oh there as they want to ask if you're being domestically abused but she asked that in my first quick appointment and in my son's pregnancy they asked for 5 mind alone with me and 5 min's alone with him they asked us both with my son's booking in if we had slept about / had any previous kids our partner didn't know about) but my mw ia my son''s best friends mum so no secrets there though it was a bit awkward handing her my wee lol.

How far along are you? That is a big bump!! I'm a bit overweight so I'm hoping I'll be ok for a while!! Lol

That was 10 weeks I'm now 13 weeks most of my body has lost weight it all migrated to my tits and belly lol. when customers ask when I'm due I see them doing the maths then sat "but that's ages away" I've been scanned 3x and there us just 1 in there but despite that I still get told I'm carrying twins one even suggested triplets I'd faint if that was the case lol. I dreamt last year I would have twin girls in may but twins scare me so I'm happy with the one lol.

Last edited:
i told work due to having 3 scans already i work an hour away from the nearest hospital so i thought it was easier, plus we get big parcels delivered and i dont want to be lifting too much. im more bloat than bump i think but my dad did say yesterday eee ashleigh your bumps popping out! i think its more i need a good fart these days haha!

i was sa skinny rake tho before i got pregnant so it is showing a bit, plus i have a tilted uterus

Yea I have a tilted uterus too up until today my belly was all solid and hard today it's gone a bit squishy so I think it's finished working it's way forward now and I've got excess squidge at the front rather than in the middle of my abdomen now lol

mines only been hard on certain days wasnt sure if it was my ibs, ive just got a bloat on my lower abdomen, quite uncomfortable in my clothes at the moment too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back