help me write a guide for my nanny.

Terrie

Reaction score
ok so im writing a guide for my nanny when she is looking after the kids next week. as im working im not really gonna be available for her to call with questions all the time.

let me know what you think of what i have so far.

John- Rhys & Ffion Lowri Jones

General Routine
7.30am – breakfast
10am – mid morning snack & nappy change
11.45 – lunch
12.45 – nappy change & quiet time
1pm – naptime
4pm – dinner
5pm – nappy change

Meal Times.
If eating out I would prefer the children eat healthier choices versus foods that are fatty/high in sugar where possible. As a treat at McDonalds I do occasionally allow them to have a happy meal (to share) with a fruit bag. I do not allow fizzy drinks or sugary sweets – Rhys will try his luck and ask for sweets often but will happily settle for healthy snacks. If eating in the hotel all meals can be charged to my room and petty cash will be supplied by me for meals outside of the hotel.

Snack Times & Juice.
Suitable snacks will be in the hotel room for the children to eat throughout the day if they get hungry. Rhys will ask for snacks often when he is not hungry so you will have to use your judgement to determine if he needs food. There will be juice in the hotel room and the tap water in the bathroom is drinkable, the children tend to have juice mid morning and with meals.

Nap Times.
Ffion usually naps after lunch. She is to be put in her cot with her ‘blankie’, dummy and a bottle of cold milk. She should settle to sleep on her own without any trouble but if she cries then you can use your judgement to decide if she is whinging or genuinely upset. If she is whinging you can leave her for 5-10minutes to see if she falls asleep. Rhys does not nap but will sit quietly and relax whilst Ffion is sleeping.

Comforters.
Ffion has a dummy at nap time and when she is in her pram. During the day we tend to keep her dummies hidden out of sight (we are hoping to wean her off them completely very soon.) Both children have a ‘blankie’ again Ffion has her blankie at nap time and when she is in her pram, Rhys tends to cuddle with his blankie if he is tired.

Discipline.
Both children understand the word ‘No’ and they know they need to share and play nicely together. We do not tolerate the children shouting or hitting each other and they need to be told not to if situations like that arise. Both children understand ‘time out’ and may be stood against a wall for periods of 1minute if they have continued bad behaviour after being warned.

Toilet.
Rhys is fully daytime potty trained. He uses the ‘big toilet’ which he reaches with a step which will be in the hotel room. When out and about he is very good at communicating when he needs the toilet and we have a foldaway potty which can stay underneath the pram for emergencies. Rhys stands up to wee wee and will need help wiping his bum if he is dirty. I have packed pull up nappies incase you are out in the afternoon – Rhys is less good at realising he needs the toilet when he is tired.

Out and About.
Ffion will sit in her pram and Rhys will hold your hand to walk and will tell you if he is getting tired.

Quiet Time.
Usually we sit and calm down before Ffion naps/bedtime. The children enjoy reading stories and cuddling with their blankies during this time. Whilst Ffion is napping Rhys may want to watch Cbeebies on his portable DVD player, I do not like the children watching TV all day but an episode every now and again to break up the play time is fine.

Bedtime routine. (for Sunday)
The children bathe together at around 6.00pm, then after they are in their pyjamas they are allowed to watch an episode of a children’s programme or read a story before Ffion goes to bed. Ffion goes to bed in the same way she goes for a nap with her dummy, blankie and bottle of cold milk, she is usually in bed for 7.00pm.

[FONT=&quot]Obviously if you are out and about and you cannot follow their normal routine don’t worry! Ffion doesn’t usually nap in her pram so she will wait until you get back to the hotel to sleep. If you at the hotel in the day and Ffion seems tired then please put her down for a nap regardless of the time. Rhys will sometimes use sign language to express what he wants, this is because we did ‘Baby Sign’ with him when he was a baby to encourage his development. He will usually say the word he is signing so you will be able to understand him and you will not be expected to sign back to him. [/FONT]

ok girls is there anything else i need to say?

Last edited:
dunno why that last paragraph is coming up smaller :(

[FONT="]Obviously if you are out and about and you cannot follow their normal routine don’t worry! Ffion doesn’t usually nap in her pram so she will wait until you get back to the hotel to sleep. If you at the hotel in the day and Ffion seems tired then please put her down for a nap regardless of the time. Rhys will sometimes use sign language to express what he wants, this is because we did ‘Baby Sign’ with him when he was a baby to encourage his development. He will usually say the word he is signing so you will be able to understand him and you will not be expected to sign back to him. [/FONT]

Last edited:
I would also write a bit on what activities they like to do, books they like, songs etc...

Also what Rhys is interested in, cars/trains animals etc...

It will help her plan her day better with them
x

yeah lol i realised i hadnt put anything about playtime :rofl: thanks x

Poor kids just eating and sleeping, at least nanny would have an easy job :rofl:

What about seeing you? Or maybe you're not going to able to get back for bedtime?

I'd include maybe something like that or a quick call to mum to say goodnight if you're not all to get back in time :)

you didnt say how long they usually nap for kind of looks like they go to sleep at 1pm and then wake up at 4pm for dinner. That would be nice!

see i thought about putting how long ffion naps for but its so varied, some days its an hour and some days she will really sleep until 4pm LOL

and mamafy good idea, the kids wont see me until 6pm most days but on the sunday i wont see them at all before they go to bed.

Wow I'm so impressed with your routine I think I need tips the only routine we have is bed time :oops:

sounds like you have covered everything Hun

LOL i must admit im soooo rigid with routine *blush*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back