Head down position

Rachel1509

Reaction score
Is there any way of been able to tell if baby has turned into the head down position? Any tell tale obvious signs?

My baby has been transverse for weeks and I've been hoping he would move head down (even though I know he still has time). But since yesterday I've been feeling different and I can't help but hope it's because of his new position :D

Since last night my bump has suddenly felt more heavy and sore (mainly lower down). The movements seem to of decreased a bit recently, but like my book says I'm sure thats due to him being cramped, however I am getting most movement quite low down, at the sides and in the middle, and some just near my ribs. Also noticed a little increase in Braxton Hicks too.

Does this sound like wishful thinking on my part?

My next MW appointment isn't til 11th January, so I'm just curious :)

Last edited:
It might be.... at about 30 weeks I felt the same and was sure Baby was head down and was trying for an early escape but after about a week I felt him back in the normal place (transverse with foot in my ribcage) midwife said he'd obviously wiggled back, but still plenty of time for him to move again....... I hope!!!

Knowing my luck he'd probably move straight back. He clearly finds laying across me quite comfy! I just get scared that he won't move in time for labour :(

im pretty sure my lil lady is head down now. pressure on my cervix and nudges at elbow height ad some kicks but less movement in general and more on the surface than inside feeling. top of my bump dosent feel as full or uncomfy as it did before too

I'm the same as BevG my little dude was head down at midwife appointment 3 weeks ago (28 weeks) and was still there yesterday.....good boy...stay like that !!!! You can defo tell difference in where movements are and the strength. What made me laugh yesterday at my appointment was midwife had a student with her when student examined me she couldn't find the baby (I am nearly 32 weeks and huge !) so my midwife had a feel and pointed out where he was....then the student proceeded to measure me at 38 weeks....which was quickly corrected by midwife but i am still measuring 1 week ahead....phew ! Bless the student I know they have to learn but I nearly passed out with the shock of no baby then huge baby ! Lol

yeah i had a student at my last app bless but she could find baby and was pretty confident on the measuring and hb etc.

Same as the other girls, I can tell by the movements that cub is head down and his back is to one side of my belly and he kicks his legs out to the other side. But it may sound silly but I also knew from his hiccups. I can always feel them low down and to one side which is where his chest is so it helped me figure out his position. Hopefully that all makes sense x

Thanks for the replies ladies. I always like it when he has hiccups cos it gives me a fair idea of where abouts he's laying. I always feel them low down, usually feels quite far back in my bum, and other times its to the side but low down. But this could mean he's still transverse couldn't it? I really can't tell what position he's laying in :( wish I could!

I've felt some pressure today in my lower belly (near my pelvic bone) and I'm hoping that it's lo getting in position. I also feel kicks in the sides/ribs and weaker movements further down (her boxing with her hands?).

I will see my mw on monday so will let you know then where baby is. It sounds to me like your baby has turned but I'm no expert!!

xx

Last edited:
I've felt some pressure today in my lower belly (near my pelvic bone) and I'm hoping that it's lo getting in position. I also feel kicks in the sides/ribs and weaker movements further down (her boxing with her hands?).

I will see my mw on monday so will let you know then where baby is. It sounds to me like your baby has turned but I'm no expert!!

xx

Yeah let me know what your MW says. I'm really curious about babys position as it never really crossed my mind about the position until I went to 4D scan and they said baby was transverse. Since then I've been getting automated emails off Pampers and Mothercare saying 'At this stage in your pregnancy your baby has more then likely gone into the head down position ready for labour'. So that's when I started worrying - what if my baby doesn't? I don't want a c-section or anything like that.

Silly to worry about at 31 weeks I know, cos it can happen anytime and change various times a day.

my mw just wrote ceph on my notes for the last 2 apps in the bit about babys position. never actually explained what it meant.

yeah it does, head down face to back usually. good job i can look things up myself lol

Yeah just googled ceph and it says that it means your baby is head down ready to engage.

When did your MW start checking and writing LO's position down?

Last edited:
28 week app just before xmas when i was almost 30 weeks

Mine didn't, she just measured my bump.

Hoping she does it at my 31 week one.

she only did it quick, she did measure me the last time but didnt write it down then at the app the other day she actually measured me and wrote it down lol just noticed shed put ceph on the last 2 app notes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back