has anyone used the tube with a pushchair?

katey123

Reaction score
R has surprised us all by taking his first steps at almost 7 months old. He's so strong now we struggle to keep hold of him.
As we are travelling back to GOSH in the morning going to have to take the pushchair this time I think, but I'm rather worried about taking it on the tube and especially the escalators any advise would be very helpful . x:)

I put off using public transport for ages and then in one day I took James and his pram on the Tube, the DLR, a bus, cable car and riverboat!!

I did have help though.

Will anyone else be with you? If so you'll be fine.

You'll be OK if you do it alone as well, someone will help (I always offer if I see a woman with a pram)

With regards to escalator it's all about balancing the wheels and getting the tilt right, you can't practice but I promise you'll 'know' what to do!

Good luck at GOSH

xxxxxx

Thanks hun, Yes I saw a woman do it on the escalators the last time we went in she made it look so easy, I'm convinced I'll do it all wrong and be stuck with pushchair tilted upside down , scary .
The first time we did it with the wheels and the car seat but he's too heavy now , last time we tried to just carry him but now he's so strong and struggles all the time .
This will be the first time with the buggy and the last time we go as a couple as hubby will be on his own next time. xx

Last edited:
Just make sure the back wheels are on securely and then tilt downwards so bottom wheels are on the step below, getting off is easy as all escalators even out well before you need to get off.

xxxxx

we went to London me oh my 2 year old and baby and lots of kind people offered assistance!

We have been on the tube a few times the key is planning the best stations to get off at so you know you have access!
Xxx

thanks guys , fingers crossed it will all go swimmingly , I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow . xx

Hi , it really wasn't too bad going up was fine , we just waited for the rush to pass then we locked off the front wheels and up we went , funny enough another couple seemed to be struggling to disassemble their pram but when their saw us they followed suit too.

Going down was not so nice feels horrible having the front of the buggy hanging there in mid air feels very uncomfortable.
Infact it's funny now that I was worried about the tube as our real problems began after we had finish the tube part of our homeward journey , someone sadly stepped infront of a DLR train so closing all train routes we could use to get home so we ended up queueing at the bus stop unfortunately so did everyone else because we had the buggy the crowds kept on piling in and we just couldn't get on a bus for love or money it was impossible .

After 3 buses had left without us when I caught the eye of a policeman who kindly stopped the crowd so that we could board the fourth hooray I think we would have been there all night .
So a half an hour train ride ended up being three hot hours on a crowded bus truly awful , but at last we were able to get home, oh what a journey ! xx

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance but do they not have lifts down for disabled people and buggies rather than using escalators?

Only at certain stations which is usually not where I need to go! There trying to make it so more stations are disabled friendly!

There's no lifts at Holburn station I think there is one Stratford but it's easier to carry a buggy up a few stairs than queue for the lift.

I was in London yesterday, I used Warerloo, Bakerstreet, South Winbledon, Collierswood and Westminster tube stations - all were hideous!! I will never do it again. Not pram friendly, in fact I didn't find it to be a pram friendly city full stop x

Yes I know what you mean, people in the city don't give you any room to move around they just seem to walk straight at you and the buggy and then expect you to get out of their way . It really isn't very baby friendly at all. x

Sorry you had a hideous time Katey. I used to commute an hour each way (did that for 10 years). When transport works it is amazing but when it fcuks up my God it can be Hell...

Excuse my ignorance but do they not have lifts down for disabled people and buggies rather than using escalators?

Newer parts of the Tube have lifts, but lots of stations are very old so cannot be renovated as its not logistically possible.

I was in London yesterday, I used Warerloo, Bakerstreet, South Winbledon, Collierswood and Westminster tube stations - all were hideous!! I will never do it again. Not pram friendly, in fact I didn't find it to be a pram friendly city full stop x

The best thing about London is that you can walk almost anywhere.

I've only taken James on public Transport once since he's been born and we go all over the place (I do live quite central though so I can get to the Thames, Oxford Street, Hampsted Heath etc on foot)

xxxxx

We had tickets for the London eye and Madame Tussaud's. I wanted to walk from one to the other but was told there was no way and I had to get a tube. I really didn't want to get a tube x

We had tickets for the London eye and Madame Tussaud's. I wanted to walk from one to the other but was told there was no way and I had to get a tube. I really didn't want to get a tube x

You could have walked, it would have been a Hell of a walk but technically possible (if not feasible)

Obviously as I am a local I make my plans to suit not getting on the Tube so I wouldn't do two things on opposite sides of London in one day.

xxxxx

Hahaha good point, that was the daft tourist in me lol
I should consult you first next time Nat :) xx

I loathe the Tube, but prefer it to buses - much quicker!

We moved office in 2011 and I had a lovely commute... A 45 minute walk so I've not used public transport much for a good few years.

People piss me off so I am better off walking :lol:

xxxxxx

Last edited:
Haha same here, although the people were very helpful.
It wasn't the train itself it was the escalators, they scared the shit out of me! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back