Had To Take Olivia To A+E Last Night! :(

Kelly G

Reaction score
DF Had Olivia in his arm having his usual cuddle with her, he knelt down next to the radiator to pick something up off the floor and Olivia grabbed the radiator!

She started screaming and DF realised that her hand was on the radiator so he took it off quick and put it in a bowl of cold water! DF was in tears bless him he felt so bad!

We didnt think it was that bad at 1st but when she didnt stop crying we realised that it was and looked at it again and it hard started to blister! So after giving her some calpol and wrapping it in a wet towel we got in the car and took her to A+E. She had clamed down by this point but half way there she started to scream again!

When we got there the doctor was with us within seconds, by this time i was in tears, they put some antibiotic cream on it which also cools it down and gave her ibroprofen (sp) and within 5 mins she started to calm down and goto sleep, they bandaged her up and asked me to take her to the assesment clinc at our GP's on wed!

When we got home she had been to sleep and woken up as if nothing had happened laughing and smiling! She did keep pulling at the bandage so we put a scratch mitten on to try and stop her but when we got up this morning it was off!

I took her to Get it re-dressed and she was as good as gold they put more cream on and it didn't bother her one bit she carried on smiling like usual!

Df and i feel so bad about, specially DF he is blaming himself which is understandable! But she is fine now she has a couple of nasty blisters on her finger and one on her hand but they dont seem to be hurting now which is good, we couldn't bare to hear her cry in pain like she did last night we never ever want to go through anything like that again we where so worried!

We coulnd't and still cant believe a radiatior could do this it wasn't even on full, the nurse said its because there skin isnt a thick as ours!

Everyone at A+E where brilliant and they dealt with Olivia so quickly and they all kept reasuring us that it wasn't our fault, which hasn't really helped as we still blame ourselve's, what parent wouldn't? They also said that we had done the right thing by giving her calpol and keeping it in water!

I wasn't going to post this as we are so ashamed and feel so guilty, we keep blaming ourselve's!

We just wanted to warn people about radiators, i know you wouldn't let your children near a hot radiator but i know how hard it can be when they are walking and crawling and you have to have eyes in the back of your head!

I just wanted people to be extra careful, i would hate for a little one to go through what our angel has! It was heartbreaking, we just thank god that she is ok and there is no permanent damage!

Sorry to go on!

Oh thats awful :hug: ,try not to feel bad about it though whats done is done,and everyone on this forum can learn from this frightful incident.It sounds like you did everything you possibly could to aid Olivia's recovery. :hug: The main thing is that she is okay and feeling fine.I think this happened to Beanie's Seren too not so long ago.
Loads of big :hug: :hug: :hug: for you,Olivia and DF too!! :hug: :hug:

aah :hug: glad olivia is ok hun, accidents happen & they happen at some point to every parent.
you're not to blame just one of those things.
take care

:hug: :hug: :hug:

oh hun DO NOT BLAME URSELFS its not ur fault accidents happen
and as long as she is ok now
:hug:

oh kelly you poor little lot it really isnt anyones fault and i hope your all ok now, poor little Olivia too though but im glad shes happier now and on the mend

Sorry to hear you had a stressful night-just remember its not yours or DH fault...accidents can happen, glad Olivia is ok!! Thanks for the warning-will have to watch our rads when we move back home-luckliy we don't have any here in Spain.

Amy xx

Don't blame yourselves hun....big hugs to you all. Well done for being so so brave Olivia.

Thanks for all of your kind words everyone!

Deep down we do know that it could have happened to anyone but we cant help feel it was our fault, we just keep thinking "if only" all the time!

The main thing is that Olivia is ok, im hoping it heals fast so that we can get rid of that bandage and put it behind us!

Poor little thing has had her gloves on for most of the day, i cant bare people asking what has happened, everytime i tell someone what happened i remember how distressed she was, i wouldn't wish anyone to go through what DF and i went through last night!

I did think twice about making this topic i was frightened that we would be judged, but i should have known better you all ahve been so nice!

Anyway tnx again for all of your well wishes it really does mean a lot!

It could have happened to any of our babies, thanks for sharing with us so we can all be careful. I am so glad it wasn't more serious. Please don't feel guilty :hug:

Don't you dare to feel ashamed, no one's going to judge you or think anything bad of you. You are a great Mum, if you weren't you wouldn't have reacted so quickly & taken her to A&E.
Unfortunalty these things so happen & it does make us feel bad but that just makes us normal loving, caring parents.

If it makes you feel better I left Jamie unattented for about 5 seconds yesterday, I nipped into the kitchen while he was in the lounge and just saw him fall backwards from the coffee table, he had pulled himself up then lost his balance & obviously hit his little chin on the way down, so not only had he banged his head on the floor he knocked his teeth. I picked him up & his mouth was full of blood :shock: I very nearly died on the spot but after a couple of mins. of Mummy cuddles he stopped crying & was & is fine. I guess in a way these things teach us all a lesson & we all learn from it but it doesn't make us bad parents.

Glad Olivia's ok tho. bless her :hug:

poor little pudding!!!

Dont feel bad, if it makes u feel any better I bashed Ellis head on the door handle today and brusied his head!

I felt awful too. :shock:

xxxxx

awwww kelly :hug:

glad she is ok now. dont blame yourselves for it. all kids have accidents. it was only the other wk taylor touched the radiator. luckily i had just switched them off so they where a bit cooler, but he didnt half scream. i was so mad with myself as only turned my back for a second :( (thats all it takes) i felt guilty. i run his hand under cold water too and he was fine. but i know how you and rob must have felt.

pleas dont blame yourselves.

take care and see you soon
claire
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Kelly

It must have been awful for you but sounds like you handled it exactly right so well done on that part and don't you dare feel bad, either of you. Accidents happen. Hope you are ok now and little Olivia gets over her nasty blisters really quickly.

:hug: :hug: :hug: Hugs to you all.

Tan x

We are all fine thankyou!

Going to get her dressing re-dressed again today, she has managed to keep this one on but it is a bit soggy as she keeps sucking it :doh:

Nicki, Keely and Claire tnx for sharing your experiences with us it does make us feel a little better!

You think of your children burning thier hand on a cup of tea, a oven or even hot water but DF but i honestly never thought that it would happen on a radiator!

Anyway she is fine and she doesn't seem bothered by it so that makes it loads easier!

I can say one thing, if this can happen when she can't move i dread to think what she will be upto when she is walking and crawling, she wont be out of my sight :D

Sorry to hear Olivia has a poorly hand!

Honestly babe, DO NOT blame yourself, it was an accident and these things happen, the main thing is you did the right thing for Olivia by taking her to hozzie and that proves your a brilliantr mum, please dont feel guilty.

Im soooo pleased she is on the mend.

Have you ever thought about having radiator covers? They are wooden and look really nice and take away that whole 'touching' the radiator worry :)

Hey dont blame your self.
We had to rush Ewan to A+E afew months ago, as i had put a cup of tea down where i thought he couldnt get to it, But he could, all i heard was this awful scream, my hubby ripped his clothes off and put him under the shower within seconds. it was awful and i blamed myself for weeks.

He was fine but had to have bandages on his chest for a while, he is fine now.
:hug:

Tnx again everyone!

Yes Jade Df is going to be meiking me some radiator cover's he has a week off soon so he is going to be doing it then!

Olivia has just learnt to move very slowly in her walker and i dont want it happening again!

Congrats on your little boy by the way he is lovely!

aww hun dont feel bad its not your fault and what always makes me feel better is thinking she is ok now it could of been worse!

once when i was getting jakob out the bath he flung himself back and bashed his head on the sink :(

Olivia has had her dressings taken off today to let the air get to it and dry it up!

There is a lot of loose skin where it had blistered and is still quite red but it is looking much better, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her she has been sucking it and looking at it as if to say where did that white thing go lol but she is fine1

im so pleased its on the mend :D

Got to carry on putting this cream on to soften the skin, its a nightmare tryin to stop her eating it, iv'e had to put gloves on untill it soaks in :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back