Had the fright of my life tonight

Rubys mummy

Reaction score
Popped into our loca CO OP on way home from the meet-all I needed was a loaf so just took Rubes in without her buggy...I let go of her hand, picked up a loaf and turned....she was gone...

I went hysterical, running up the aisle, and back down screaming "where is she, where is she???!!!", everyone was looking at me.Time stood still and I nearly fainted...then I spotted her directly here we had been but hiding behind a basket stand of reduced stuff.

It was the most awful moment of my life-I just cant stop thinking of what ifs etc...I keep crying and shaking and feel so sick..I just dont know what I would ever do without her, I wouldnt survive and I cant stop thinking about it :(

Sorry, had to share as I cant tell OH, he will go MAD for not keeping my eye on her for that split second :talkhand:

I am so so stupid

Sweetie please dont beat yourself up, its not ur fault. Children have the knack of doing this. You've only got to blink and they'll find themselves a little hidey spot.

oh hun :hug: :hug: :hug: happens to all of us at one time or another.the important thing is that rubes is fine and you can tuck her up safely in bed tonight.we all have been or will go there at some point.dont beat yourself up about it hun :hug:

I saw for myself how fast she can run, these things happen hun, I have lost sight of Seren so many times and it just makes you feel so sick. :hug: hope you are ok

aw hun hope your ok. Dont for a minute think its your fault. Its what kids do :hug: :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: don't beat yourself up hun they are so quick and inquisitive!
this is what i was trying to say on the thread about reins..it only takes a nano second for a toddler to run, they are so fast
and it doesn't mean your a bad parent it happens to the best of us. Haydens done it to me too!! :hug: :hug:

Thanks girls, I still feel dreadful...I didnt sleep much and I am in work feeling very tearful, it was hard leaving her today...

I have reins for her, I shall be putting them on her now at ALL times.

To be honest, when I have played it back in my mind, I was convinced at the time she was snatched-I saw someone run past the window at the time I turned round so my first thought was someone had grabbed her.... Secondly, I didnt even shout her name, I was so terrified I was yelling "where is she? Where is she?" If I had shouted her name, she would probably of shouted "mummy" or ran to me.....

Thanks for you kind words tho :hug: xxxx

Oh my god twinny how frightening!!!! You poor thing, id have felt and done exactly the same in this situation.....however, like others have said DONT beat yourself up about it, she wasnt far away and it was only a spilt second, all toddlers/children do it at some point I think!

Love you lots, please dont worry, she is safe thats all that matters :hug: :hug: :hug:

awh hun!

try the wrist straps.. they are brilliant for giving the indipendance they soooo have to have!! but the security for you..xxxx

Ruby's mummy

This happened to me about 6 weeks ago with my girl Naomi. We were in a relatively small clothing store when she said - "I don't want to hold your hand Mammy" and went ahead a little ways. I was with my sister in law at the time and said "if she loses sight of me she always comes back." I deliberately let her get out of sight.

It took me ten minutes to find her. I had rushed around the store calling her at the top of my voice, gone to the customer service desk and got them to announce that if they found her she was to be brought there, and was about to go out and check the street when my sister in law came to me pulling Naomi by the hand...she had been sitting on the ground emptying the cosmetics stand - literally right where I had left her.

All I could think of was poor little Madeleine McCann. I learned my lesson. If we go in the shop again she has my hand or she is in the buggy. My knees were weak for a day after that shock.

Don't beat yourself up - at least you did this by accident. I deliberately let her out of my sight to "teach her a lesson" Who learned the lesson? Me.

Sue.

Thank you all again soooo much.... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ended up locked in the loo in work for 20 mins howling today, felt much better afterwards...finished early to go and get her from nursery. I can not explain the joy when she ran across the room into my arms shouting "MAMMMMMMMMMMAYYYYYYY" :D

I have kissed and cuddled her so much today, just smelling her reassures me, I even took her PJ top to work with me today so I could smell her :oops:

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate being able to share this with you has helped me...you really are all fantastic :hug: xxxxxxxxx

Rubys mummy said:
Thank you all again soooo much.... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Ended up locked in the loo in work for 20 mins howling today, felt much better afterwards...finished early to go and get her from nursery. I can not explain the joy when she ran across the room into my arms shouting "MAMMMMMMMMMMAYYYYYYY" :D

I have kissed and cuddled her so much today, just smelling her reassures me, I even took her PJ top to work with me today so I could smell her :oops:

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate being able to share this with you has helped me...you really are all fantastic :hug: xxxxxxxxx

awwwww thats so cute....ive got all this to come hun :hug: :hug: and i know what you mean about not being able to tell OH things like this..mias dad said where has she got all these bruises from the other day...ermmmm shes crawling and trying to walk :roll: :roll: not the same but you know what i mean...your a great mummy!!!!!!

It happens to the best of the best... you've just got another mummy badge of honour... you know now how much you love your child...it helps you appreciate them just that little bit more even if they've been screaming at you for 6 hours, and pulling your hair and kicking you... it all dissolves into nothingness in that fraction of a second when you think the worst has happened...and how much joy you feel when you know it hasn't... :hug: :hug:

oh hun i can imagine your panic for that split second its horrible but shes ok and so are you don't beat yourself up about it for a second longer xx :hug:

Awww hun I have experienced this and it is the most awful feeling :(

You did not do anything wrong though. They are so fast at this age aren't they.

Take care :hug:

Oh hun that must have been awful. I do know how you feel, Austin escaped out the front garden yesterday and I didn't realise until my little niece announced that he was running towards the road :shock: I practically pulled him out from in front of a car and cried my eyes out. I had to tell OH as I felt so guilty and he absolutely fine. I just don't know what I would have done if I hadn't got to him quickly enough or if my niece hadn't said anything.

Sorry to hijack your thread I just wanted to reassure you that it happens ALL the time and doesn't make you a bad mummy. They grow up so quickly and suddenly they're independant little people who don't hang off you - it takes some getting used to.

I hopw you've got over the shock now, & if you're still feeling guilty maybe say something to OH - he'll probably be absolutely fine and it'll make you feel 10 times better to have told. :hug:

aww hun im sorry you had such a shock :hug: im also glad you are both okay :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

maybebaby said:
Oh hun that must have been awful. I do know how you feel, Austin escaped out the front garden yesterday and I didn't realise until my little niece announced that he was running towards the road :shock: I practically pulled him out from in front of a car and cried my eyes out. I had to tell OH as I felt so guilty and he absolutely fine. I just don't know what I would have done if I hadn't got to him quickly enough or if my niece hadn't said anything.

Sorry to hijack your thread I just wanted to reassure you that it happens ALL the time and doesn't make you a bad mummy. They grow up so quickly and suddenly they're independant little people who don't hang off you - it takes some getting used to.

I hopw you've got over the shock now, & if you're still feeling guilty maybe say something to OH - he'll probably be absolutely fine and it'll make you feel 10 times better to have told. :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Told my mum, it helped to share with someone, she just held me while I bawled...she also gave me a wrist strap whuch she had spare and its fab, so much better than the reins :cheer: Rubys loves our dog on a lead, so thinks she is on a lead too!!! She has been so good on it, and I now keep it in my handbag all the timexxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back