Had my Midwife appointment today

Tiggy26

Reaction score
Hello

Thought id write up how my first midwife appointment went today so it can reassure anyone who is yet to have theirs & let you all know what to expect.

My midwife came round this afternoon to my house (with a huge bag! looked more like a suitcase actually!) and asked how i was e.t.c e.t.c

She was fantastic and really easy to get on with :D She started off by asking me lots of questions regarding my medical history such as do I have history of diabetes, heart problems, sexual deseases, if i smoked and drank alot, also asked questions about my work such as what I do how often im on my feet, if my boss knows and the reaction e.t.c :roll: Oh and askes a couple of questions about your OH but not very many.

She then asked me questions such as would i like the baby to be tested for downs syndrom and gave one of 3 options:-

1)Screening at London hospital (miles away for me!)
2)Private local screening for £90 :shock:
3)or waiting to have a screening at 16 weeks at my local hospital

I opted for London hospital as id like to know as soon as possible (plus it gives me a day out :dance: )

She discussed risks that should be prevented from taking to protect my baby e.t.c and also told me I had a low risk factor (yayy so far so good!) Also went through foods i should and shouldnt eat.

Checked weight, height and blood pressure.

She booked me in for my 12 week scan and then gave me a long list of certain weeks she would like to see me and asked me to call her 1 week before to get me booked in.
My next app is when im 16 weeks.

She gives you a blue book to keep hold of with all your pregnancy health and info in and advises you to take it along to all GP visits & hospital & midwife visits so it can be filled out as and when it needs to be.

I got a bounty pack full of books and leaflets. Mother & baby clubs you can register with to get lots of freebies and pregnancy books you can write in to monitor your pregnancy and a week by week guide to your growing baby e.t.c e.t.c I also get another bounty pack when i go for my 20 week scan which the midwife said would be full of samples and treates.

She then took 4 or 5 tubes (couldnt look) of blood that will test for everything! (other than down syndrom) and when i see her at 16 weeks she will go through results, although she did say if there are any problems I will be contacted a.s.a.p

She then gave me the opportunity to ask any question. I had loads! :rotfl: She put my mind at rest with lots of things. The main thing is that I wanted to have the chance to visit the meternity ward and asked about parent crafting and classes e.t.c (she said i will get a list of dates when i have my 20 week visit)

Ummm cant think what else happened, she was here for about an 1hr 20 mins.

Oh she gave me a list of contact number such as direct line for EPU (apparently now im booked in for 12 week scan if anything happens before then, then i can refer myself, no doctor needed!) also gave me her mobile number and office number and lots of other numbers.

Sorry this has been a long one, just hope ive helped anyone else out there that has been worried about their midwife app.

Tiggy xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back