Gym bunnies - exercise after birth c-section/natural

Lisamj

Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you who exercised before and during pregnancy, how long after the birth was it before you could start your regime again?

At the mo baby is head up they think, so a c-section is being mentioned. I'm hopeful that there is still time for him to turn, but would like to get an idea of when I'm likely to be able to get back in the gym based on c-section vs. vaginal delivery!

Thanks all

Lisa

I'm not sure about c-sections, but I go to aquanatal and when I was signing up I was told that I should continue the class or another pregnancy-related class for six months after the birth because your hormones will still be the same as if you are pregnant, therefore you still have to take similar precautions. The midwife wasn't very clear on exactly why, but I wonder if it has to do with things like relaxin... My physiotherapist advised the same thing.

I had a c-section and if I remember rightly I was advised to not do any exercise for at least 6 weeks, maybe more. I did go for gentle walks on a daily basis, but really I couldn't walk very far as it was all so tender around my scar. I'm sure you would be advised to stay away from the gym for longer than 6 weeks. You should try asking your gym as they should be able to advise you.

Good luck with the baby turning. That's why I had a c-section as my little one was breech.

I had a natural birth and tbh, I wasn't fit for anything for the first couple of weeks anyways. Even now, 4 weeks later I don't have the energy for workouts or anything. BF'ing is tiring stuff :lol: :roll:

IIRC its advised to not do much the first 6 weeks at least (if natural birth) as your body has to adjust. Also if BF'ing it seems to change what you can do and how soon. It may well be months before you can resume a heavy workout.

I plan to start slowly in the next few weeks just walking, using my exercise machine and maybe cycling a bit but nothing vigourous for a few months at least. I don't think my body could cope with it.

I'd discuss with your MW as she is the best person to explain why they advise what they do after giving birth.

You should not do any strenuous excercise until at least after your 6 weeks check with your GP. I know of someone who did permanent damage to her muscles by excersing too early. I was given details about suitable exercise on discharge, but TBH B/f and walking were fine in the early days. I loved walking around and showing off my bundle. See how you are feeling afterwards and discuss at your 6 week appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back