GTT???

youngmumtobe20

Reaction score
what is this and why havent i been told anything about it my my midwife, or should i say midwives. im so annoyed with the midwife service here i've had 4 appointments and 3 differnt midwives. no advice or any mention of ante natal got bloods in 4 weeks then my 28 week anti-d but thats all i know feeling kinda clueless.

should i have had talks about all tht yet or am i rushing things??

if youve no or minimal family history , if your bmi is ok and its not routine in your area u probably wont get a gtt test unless something turns up in your urine , i wouldnt worry !

ur only 3 weeks ahead of me , and ive only seen a midwife twice in this whole time ! once at 8 weeks . once at 16 thats it !

I'm not sure everyone has this? I don't really know. I've not been told about it either by my MW but then my MW isn't the greatest LOL.

e.. not everyone has it.. tbh.. id b really really happy if i didnt have to have it.. what a pain in the bum..

GTT = Glucose Tolerance Test and is a test for gestational diabetes.

Your midwife may not have offered you one because she didn't think you were "at risk".

I was offered one at my 12 week scan midwife appointment at the hospital because my BMI was higher than it should have been - 30 in some places or 35 in others. You can also get offered them if you have a family history of diabetes - think it's immediate family like your mum and dad or brothers/sisters. Also some ethnicitities are more susceptible to diabetes (think asian or afro-caribbean..?).

What is involved is...they take your blood when you 1st go into the hospital (after "fasting" for a period of time - I wasn't allowed to eat after 10pm and the test was at 9am the next day so no big deal). After your blood is taken you're given a very very sweet drink - glucose syrup stuff. You have to wait 2 hrs and they test your blood again to see how your body processes sugar.

Fortunately mine came back as normal which is 4. If it is above 8 ( i think) you might have GD.

my mw said tht the bloods were to test for diabetes but she didnt say anything about not eating or tht i had to have a glucose drink so im guessing they're just normal bloods,

thanks for the info girlies

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back