group B strep

pregpixie76

Reaction score
i'm just wondering how many women these days know about group B strep an infection which can in some cases cause miscarriage or carry a danger once baby is born.
although its been known about for many yrs when i was preg in the late 90's it was never mentioned to me and i wasnt told for 17 pounds i could be tested for it. as far as i know at least in scotland the test is now offered for free on the nhs and i will be mentioning to my midwife ive tested positive and been treated for it while i wasnt preg ( antiiotics is the treatment) but i guess there is always a risk of it returning and it needs treated during labour for mum and baby sake.
if this condition hasnt been mentioned to u then its worth reading up on and getting tested.
i remember reading it was responsible for up to 50% of mc's which could have been easily prevented by detection and antibiotic treatment.

that does sound worrying... off to google it now!

Yeah iv heard about this all rite and have only been thinking this week about asking for the test

Do you know what stage of pregnancy they need to test you? im guessing right near the end?

You have to be tested privately in England, the NHS here doesnt do it. I read a good time to do it was 35 weeks so I asked my consultant about it last week. He poo poo'd it and said that you can test positive one week and negative the next which is why they don't automatically screen. I am more confused than ever whether to pursue this or not.

Oh thats confusing, guessing the closer to due date the better if thats the case, Still I think id rather do the test than not I mean doenst do any harm and if you do test pos you can get the antibiotics needed

Must ask at next MW app :)

I still have no idea how to get the private test :wall:

Hi ladies, I got a kit online on and found out I have it. I took the swabs at 37 weeks and now have to have some antibiotics during labour-no biggy really and hope it helps my LO not get the infection come and go. Search the third trimester threads on it-GBS or group B Streppiccous for more info and how to order it if u want to test it xxx

i have it.

i was just getting a general swab done, and the gp rang and told me, along with some other infections.
i actually have to go back for more tests and stuff.
but im having to move areas totally on moday... woohoo! :roll:

im worried, but apparently, because they know about it, ill just be given IV antibiotics during labour.

35-37 weeks is generally when they test for it.u can ask your mw to do the test but u will be charged for it.u can buy kits online and do the swab yourself for about 32 pounds.there are campaigns to try and get this test done free on the nhs for preg women and if your consultant thinks its not a good idea id say sod him get it done anyways.
technically it lives naturally in the body and dosent harm most people but it can become active. and its easily treated in pregnancy.
my intention isnt to scare anyone but to be informed about this as a preg mother its your right to know about this and know testing is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back