Group B strep??

eldraW

Reaction score
Hello all.

Wondering if you could help. Has anyone on here or no of anyone who has had Strep B? I am trying to find out about it as my sister has just text sayin her midwife has just rang her and she has got this, She is around 30 weeks pregnant and been told in labour she will have to have antibiotics and what not. Will she have to be induced? Also if anyone can tell me anything about it, it would be much appreciated. As you can imagine she is pretty scared as this is her second baby and her first pregnancy went absolutly perfect.

Thanks alot xx

i dont know a huge dela about it only when i asked about testing my mw said u can be positive one week and not the next

she said that if it is picked up it could be gone again come delivery and if not that they give antibiotics to both mother and baby, Dont think it means section as it can be passed on trough either method as far as i know

hope ur sis is ok xxx

Thanks alot for th reply hun. It means an awful lot xxx

My sister had undiagnosed Strep B in labour with baby number 1. Luckily the infection was spotted in bub before they were discharged and bub had to stay in for a week of antibiotics through a drip before going home.

With her second pregnancy my sister was advised to come in as soon as she went into labour and they wanted her to have at least 8 hours on anti-biotics via IV to prevent bub getting infection. There was no mention of induction or c-section!

Her labour was about 90 minutes all in so she couldn't have the required amount of anti-bio's they had to keep bub in for 48 hours and gave him anti-bio's as a precaution.

As I undersand Strep-B is only very dangerous when undiagnosed!

My nephews are now 3 and 10 months and both perfectly healthy by the way :)

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks Carnat, Also much appreciated. She has been googling and you know had bad that can be. I have told her to stop looking on the internet as she will make herself worry more. xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Carnat, Also much appreciated. She has been googling and you know had bad that can be. I have told her to stop looking on the internet as she will make herself worry more. xxx

Poor love will drive herself nuts.

Her Midwife should reassure her, but knowing she has Strep B means she can be treated. It is a potential killer when it's now known that Mum has it and passes it on to bub

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Poor love with drive herself nuts.

Her Midwife should reassure her, but knowing she has Strep B means she can be treated. It is a potential killer when it's now known that Mum has it and passes it on to bub

xxxxxxxxxx

Her midwife told her not to worry about it but you know yourself thats easier said than done lol. xxx

Can't really offer any help about it, but I know someone who had this during pregnancy. She never spoke to me about any treatment she received for it etc, she just happened to mention it in general conversation.

She was induced at 36 weeks, but that was due to losing her waters at 28 weeks and her LO being smaller then average.

Pointless me contributing to this post really haha, but thought I'd mention it rather then just reading and running.
She never said anything specific about Group B strep causing extra problems for her though.

Last edited:
I had it. Was given antibiotics during labour and that was it. Went into labour naturally x

Yeah agree with the other posts Hun only a prob if undiagnosed. Xxx

Hi I am a neonatal nurse and basically if it is not diagnosed then that is when the majority of problems occur. It can still be passed to baby even if diagnosed but to minimise the risk she will be given antibiotics in labour and the only reason they try and speed up labour is if her waters go. It's usually 24-48hrs after waters breaking they like to have delivered baby by. What it also means is they will look for signs of infection in the baby once born and have a low threshold for starting baby on antibiotics if they show signs.

Thanks for all of the replies ladies. Its such a big help, I shall pass all the info on to her and hopefully it will make her less worried about it.

Thanks again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back