Green poo

SmallPurpleCat

Reaction score
Just changed Isla and it was a green poo. I know this is not a good sign - either she's not getting enough or too much of the fore milk.

I'm not surprised as the last 2 days have been difficult. She has not been feeding well during the day - barely feeding for 10 minutes and then wanting to feed again soon after so she 's probably been swapping breasts too much. It's been a difficult few days where I don't feel that I've been coping with breast feeding at all.

Not[[/I] sure what to do...I'd already been tempted to give her another bottle of expressed milk during the day (she has one at night already) so I can see how much she is getting.

But I'm worried about doing this as it feels like I will
then be on the way to just feeding with bottles. Plus, I've never given her a bottle - only DH has and I worry that she won't feed off me again if I give her a bottle.

What do people think?

From what I've read, green poo means too much fore milk and I've read somewhere that expressing a bit before a feed or block feeding helps a lot- whereyou do a few feeds from one boob before switching.

Hope things get better foryou xxxxx

Sorry bout crap typing got a snotty baby awake who won't feed at all xxx

You're doing great hon. I agree you could try expressing off the first bit so she gets to the hind milk quicker.
I'm not managing to express much but I occassionally add in an expressed bottle and G takes it from me fine.

Green poo can be a reaction to something you've eaten. Blake gets green poo if I go on a cheese feast. took me a while to figure it out what was causing it. HV says it's nothing to worry about if it's a one off. If it's regular (mine was on and off) then keep a food and nappy diary for you both and you can usually see the common factors causing it.

Huh, always wondered what caused green poop. Lilly gets this sometimes, no idea what is in my diet that causes it but she never seems out of sorts when it happens so I guess it's not to serious.

xx

I don't breast feed as Ella was prem and tube fed and then lactose intolerant but she always has green poop!

I wouldn't fret too much about breastfeeding- you've done great to do it at all and remember many people can't/ don't want to and all our babies are healthy and doing great. Xx

Charley's formula fed and he sometimes gets green poo. I've never really thought there was a reason just gathered poo is always different! Lol

Just a thought, but if baby isn't getting enough hind milk doesn't that mean they don't get the nice fatty stuff that makes them sleep?? So it could be why our babies aren't settling??

Just a thought, but if baby isn't getting enough hind milk doesn't that mean they don't get the nice fatty stuff that makes them sleep?? So it could be why our babies aren't settling??

Possibly... I asked the HV about it and she said dark green poo is often a sign of an upset stomach. Whereas light green poo can be a sign of a fore/hind milk imbalance. Isla's was dark green and she has been a bit grumpy so maybe she's got a bit of a stomach issue.

As for the settling to sleep... we give Isla a bottle of expressed milk (normally 3oz) before she goes to bed and she settles fine. Our settling issue is more in the day and I keep thinking it's because she's not getting enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back