block feeding

babynumbertwo

Reaction score
Well I'm still having the green poo and fussy feeding problem! I'm thinking now that baby is only getting foremilk as he is quite a lazy feeder and we do swap breasts during most feeds (saying this though, his weight is ok :? ). Anyway, I've been reading about block feeding - feeding off the same side for a good few feeds at a time before swapping back and doing the same on the other side. The idea being that he will definately get the hindmilk this way. Has anybody tried this?

I do this with Cally, not always intentionally as she prefers one side more, and I have a mind like a sieve and forget which side - but when she was feeding frequently and getting green poo I just fed her on the same boob if she wanted another feed within the hour. Seemed to work for us.

Thank you, that's great to hear. Someone else (Keli I think?) also said she offered the same breast at beginning of next feed. It was this suggestion that led to me reading about block feeding which is pretty much the same idea but extended over a longer period of time. I think i'll give it a try.
Anyone else who's tried this, it would be great to hear your experiences xx

I've always done this with Galen as I was advised to by MW and HV. I was told it was standard advice these days and it ensured that baby got the foremilk in the first few minutes then the fattier hindmilk for the rest of the feed. HV said to not swap boobs as they now thought this was not the best way to BF anymore and had changed policy and advice.

I feed LO from one boob and unless he totally empties it then if he wants another feed within 2 hours he goes back on the same boob to get the hindmilk.

Hi Sherlock

Yes i think that's right but because my baby usually goes 3 hrs i've been offering the other breast. Also, he would come off the breast during a feed so I would think it was empty and offer the other. Now i'm thinking he is just being lazy - it's easier to swap than to work harder at the first side. He's feeding as I'm typing this and each time he comes off i'm putting him back on the same side - he's not happy!

I had a similar problem with my first child and went down, what was for me, the slippery slope of mixed feeding. This time I feel determined to make it work. Thanks for replying x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back