Gory Details Part 2: The Embryo Transfer

Bead

Reaction score
I would have to say that this was the most embarrasing situation I've ever been in, and I now have absolutely no fear about being self-conscious if I ever make it to pregnancy and labour! And I'm VERY glad that the doctor and nurse and embryologist were all ladies :)

First thing I remember is being shown a picture of our little embryo - a perfect 4 cell grade 1 embryo. Who'd have thought it! I figured we were incapable of creating any life whatsoever.

Then legs up in stirrups with DH at the 'head end' while the doc sterilised 'down there', and inserted the torture instrument that they use during smear tests to expose the cervix... and she then tells me she's cleaning the cervix with a cotton bud!! Some things I'd just rather not know :shock:

Next the nurse puts the ultrasound scanner on my belly. Now, for embryo transfer, they ask you to have a 'comfortably full bladder'. What a contradiction!! It was certainly not comfortable, and then when she started pressing with the scanner I seriously thought I was going to have an accident right there and then!

Next, in goes the catheter - we watched on the screen as it went it, and then saw the little squirt as they pushed the embryo (in a bit of fluid) in.

Then I was overcome with the intensity of it all and started bawling :oooo:

We got to chill for about 20 mins, then straight off home!
I'm now officially in the 2ww. OMG it feels like back when we first started ttc. I'd got kind of used to it over the past 6 months and managed to take the 2ww in my stride, but today has been the longest day EVER! I seriously dont know how I'll survive 2 weeks.

Thanks for reading my ramblings, and baby dust to you all :) Xx

WOW, that really is amazing bead! can't believe they can actually do that

Really have everything crossed for you, hope you get your BFP!

Thanks Nurse26, the science of it all still blows my mind! :) Xx

:dust::dust::dust::dust::dust:

Hope it sticks and you have a lovely healthy baby!

Lxx

OMG I just cried reading this! I hope and pray that your little eggy hangs in there and I'm reading your BFP announcement in 2 weeks xx

I was hoping for a second installation, but i was scared you might be a bit too emotional to talk about it - glad you're in good spirits :good:

Oh gosh, you're making me feel all excited and emotional :cry:

How long did they say to leave it before testing?

I saw some IVF hpts and they got positives right away that gradually faded over the following days until they became negatives and then they started showing positives again and she was pregnant.

Stick stick little cells! :)

Last edited:
Thanks all for your lovely thoughts. Am a nervous wreck at the mo so your messages are a big help :)
I very nearly burst into tears at work today in front of all the lads... OMG that would be even more embarassing than lying in the stirrups! lol!

I was hoping for a second installation, but i was scared you might be a bit too emotional to talk about it - glad you're in good spirits :good:

Oh gosh, you're making me feel all excited and emotional :cry:

How long did they say to leave it before testing?

I saw some IVF hpts and they got positives right away that gradually faded over the following days until they became negatives and then they started showing positives again and she was pregnant.

Stick stick little cells! :)

It's an emotional roller-coaster! :)
Yeah the 'trigger' injection that you have 36 hours before egg retrieval is hcg, so hpts would show positive for the first few days after embryo transfer. I need to wait another week until I start testing.
They told me to test on 24th Dec, as that will give a definite answer one way or the other. Of course in reality, I'll be testing every day from a week today :whistle:

Xx

Have you got some cheapy tests or are you going to go right in with the expensive ones? I'm sure i have some cheapies going spare :)

Aw thanks hon, yeah I have about 30 cheapies left (I have learnt to bulk buy after spending a fortune on CB Digis!!). But have just one CB Digi tucked away for good measure if/when the time comes... :)
Xx

Good Luck, hope you get your christmas bfp xxx

Goodluck hunny x x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck Hun, thank you so much for sharing this :dust:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really hope that little embryo snuggles in tight in time for Christmas.

I find it all really amazing, how wonderful to be able to say that you've known your child right from the very beginning, that you actually got to watch it going in. It's incredible.

Fingers crossed for you Hun, hope you've got the stickiest bean in the world!

If it sticks, I should ask for a copy of the embryo pic... "Here's you at 4 cells old" lol! :) Xx

Yeah, that would make a great start to the baby book/family album. :)

awwww I am crying right now, honestly.....I just think that's amazing! Especially when you can see it on screen and feeling in that moment in time that they maybe your Baby! Oh I do wish you all the luck in the world.

Was it done under local anetheastic or just like they do when you have a smear?

BFP soon, here's to 2WW xxxx

Don't, you'll make me start! :cry:
No anaesthetic at all - just like a smear.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back