Going to work for a few quid

Eveadel

Reaction score
Hiya everyone

Im in such a dilemna at the mo, I have said I will be going back to work in July 2007. My maternity pay has been about two hundred a month more than what I thought it would be so I phoned up our payroll to check and because Im going back I get half pay aswell as the government statutory. I only work part time and Im getting more money than when I work.

Now here is the problem, Ive started to enquiry about nurserys and they are ranging from £35-£40 per day (including discount we get) and Ive worked out that I will bring home about £40 per week.

If I dont go back to work I will have to pay the extra money back that I have got for maternity which is about £1200 or I will have to go back to work for 3 months and then it will be waived.

What would you do, it is really stressing me out????? :( :( :( :(

well i would personally go back for the 3 months. losing the £40 a week AND paying back the money works out a fair bit of cash!

i know money isnt everything but thats a big amount when you have a little one.

totally up to you but thats what i would do hun,

:hug: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Em I understand what you are saying but I feel that it will work out £2.13 per hour Im earning :x :x :x

I went back for just 13 week so i didn't have to pay extra back, i found it easier all round just to do that otherwise they want all the money back at once and it is a lot to shell out!

don't think of it as £40 a week, think of it as £140 a week if you count the money you'd have to pay back. £7 an hour

Thanks girls.

One more dilemna about work, if I do go back to work it will be my responsibility to pay childcare as my DH doesnt want me to go back to work. He has said that he will work harder to pay the £1200 back. The other thing is that Im really scared of losing my independence if I dont go back. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

What am I like!!

tracyM said:
don't think of it as £40 a week, think of it as £140 a week if you count the money you'd have to pay back. £7 an hour

thats just what i was thinking - was just working it out then i saw your message tracey!

if you want to go back you can always renegotiate with work after the three months and see if you can get a pay increase. also ask about the child care voucher scheme. my bosses looked into for my colleague (i use family so it doesnt apply to me) and its basically a scheme where they take money to pay the child minder/nursey direct form your wage before tax. so you still pay but you dont pay tax on the money for child care. also get dh to check (think he may have to consider what you both want rather than just saying you have to pay :? )as they can take it out of his wages too - you may have to do it this way as your wages might not be high enough - there are minimums i think? might help a bit anyway.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

if you work partime for 16 hours or more you should be entitle to childcare costs from your tax credits, ok its not the full amount but every penny helps eh!

ooo thats cheeky of your companys, it looks like they do that to make sure u DO go back!!!

I never got that so i just emailed them lastnight told them i am not coming back.

I think if u wanna work u should, I dont want to work but feel guilty about that so us women can never win xxxxxx

Thanks for your replies.

Ive found out that I would be entitled to £250 worth of child care vouchers from my employer, does anyone know how they work?

hi hun, at least thats something!

as far as i know the money is taken straight from your salary or hubbies before tax to go to the nursery/childminder. so you dont actually get any money but you dont pay tax on the the money you pay for the child care.

sorry thats all i know as my boss didnt go into it anymore as its no use for us as we family to look after alex.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi hun just to let you know you dont have to pay the money back all at once i am paying £5 a week back

Thanks Em78. Ive asked my employer to send through an info pack as I phoned up and still didnt understand :? :?

Mary70, I work for the NHS I dont know what their policy is, who do you work for?

i didn't go back but like you say it's nice to have your financial independance. I now work from home with my 2 and it works well. give me spending money and pays for treats and holidays for all of us.

Perhaps you could have a look into earning a bit of cash working from home. I'm an Usborne team leader and can give you more info if you'd like [email protected]

For me the fact that he is prepared to help pay back the £1200 would be just too tempting an offer, plus the upheaval of leving the little one for 3 months and the stress it would cause on you and them wouldn't be good.

Best of luck, not an easy one
Gemma

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back