Going cold turkey tomorrow

delmesgirl

Reaction score
Hi All,
Well done to all of you that have given up already.
I have set tomorrow as my date for giving up, as I have a night shift tonight then I have 4 days off. I will have one when I come in from work, then go to bed and hopefully no more when I get up.
I told my doctor I want to give up and asked for patches, but he said he wouldn't give me any whilst pregnant unless I'd tried all other ways of giving up. I can see his point but I'm really worried about about doing it with willpower alone, as I don't have much !!!
:?
Has anyone else managed to do it without patches or gum or anything?... and if so how did you get through the cravings?

Hiya,

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck for quitting :hug: :pray: , you have to really want to do it, I quit before pg and after a few unsuccessful attempts found that actually getting to the point where I really wanted to quit - and didn't want to smoke anymore was the only way.

If you think of the baby every time you get a craving - that might help - also, as a great saving idea, put the money you would have spent on cigs that day into a jar marked 'baby fund' - that way you'll see the money you are saving at the same time.

Depending how much you smoke you'll save loads, I quit from 20 a day, which at the time was £5.00 per day, over 4 weeks thats £140.00!!!! That would buy quite a few nice things :cheer:

hi delmesgirl,

good luck to giving up!! my GP said i could have gum 2mg but i have found it so hard to give it up i havent actually achieved it yet but i try every day i have at least cut down!
my doctor told me not to go cold turkey and just quit as i would cause the baby too much stress! but if you can do it hunny good luck!
all the best you can pm me if you need to talk!
shell and B! x x :hug: x x

i went cold turkey when pregnant with ryan i think i ate and picked at food instad of fags, that n suckin sweets, have to tell ya i put on a fair amount of weight tho...lol

wishing you lots of luck with quitting, if you want to you will get there in the end :D

Hi,

Good luck on trying to quit.

I continually try but can't.

( guess i'm in for a good nagging from everyone)

hi oldermum,
dont worry if you cant do it hun its up to you! i cant quit either!
good luck with whatever you choose to do! :hug:

thanks everyone,

isn't it weird how different doctors say different things?
Mine said cut down to 12 a day - any less is pointless cos then i'd get cravings (well ignored that and cut down to about 8) and then just quit - he makes it sound so easy :lol:

i've actually had more today though, cos i'm making the most of it before tomorrow. i do really want to do it though and felling quite mentally prepared so hopefully fingers crossed.

and i've got all of you to support me now :D

lucy xxx

er seem to have a smiley with shades where my number twelve should have been!!!!
doctor said twelve fags a day

good luck trying to quit, i know how hard it is

well - today's the day.
have just got back from my night shift and will have last one before going to bed for a few hours.
then when i wake up hopefully i'll be a non smoker
simple as that :lol:

Good Luck Hunny, just take it each day at a time, don;t quit for good, quit for today, then tomorrow try to make the same choice :hug:

Good Luck :D All you need is willpower!

How's it going??????

well, got through yesterday. :cheer:
most of it was actually not as bad as i thought.
had a few really bad cravings but just chewed gum and tryed to keep my hands busy.
but if i can do 1 day, then i can do another - i think i've cracked it!!! :cheer:

Well Done :cheer: - One day at a time remember - I hope you have as good a day today as you did yesterday.

It will get a bit harder at some point, but it then gets so much easier when you make it through a bad day, because you won;t want to undo all the hard work.

Wishing you another smoke free day :pray: :hug:

well done you are doing so so well!!! :dance: :dance:
that is one thing id love to achieve in life but i have no willpower what so ever! :(
im going to keep trying tho! xx

have done 2 whole days!!!! :cheer:
i actually don't believe it - iam sooo addicted to smoking -
this really should give hope to any of you trying to give up - if i can do it - anyone can - really. Nothing has stopped me smoking before (since I gave up when pg 13 yrs ago) even when i went in to work with bronchitis and could hardly breath - i was still going outside for fag breaks.
I'm just thinking - I haven't given up, I'm just not having one for 8 months - holding on to that vision of a cold pint of cider and a fag. mmmmmmm

I've just seen this thread & wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! I quit cold turkey after my BFP. I just stopped one day. I still occasionally get a feeling of 'I really fancy a cigarette' but it goes so quickly.

My tip (really helped me) was to question WHY everytime I wanted a cig. Quite often it was just because I ALWAYS had one at that time on the way to work, or because I was bored. Just think - you've done so well already, is it really worth ruining your efforts so far for one cigarette?

GOOD LUCK, and WELL DONE for getting this far already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back