Gizzy?

LouiseB

Reaction score
Do you know anything about taking probiotic supplements for digestive health?

I have the worst constipation for most of the month and I read that it could mean I don't have enough bacteria in my gut.

Is it ok for ttc and pregnancy?

I've bought Probio 7 - I know you're into your health stuff xx

Hi Loub,

I know that taking probiotic foods and supplements when you are pregnant is fine. In fact they suggest this as it is good for you and baby and can reduce allergies. I don't know much about probia 7 but having had a look at the ingredients and the advice leaflet it says to consult your gp if you are TTC pregnant or breast feeding. My view of that is that it should be okay.

I know you are about to start treatment so personally I would not introduce anything into your system that it is not familiar with. I am too careful though perhaps and stick rigid to the low GI diet my nutritionist gave me. If you are struggling with constipation I would go back to the good old fashioned remedies you can eat to aid it like fibre, fresh oj and yogurt. Boring as that might sound. My nutritionist said to try and not take any supplement that you can get into your body via food.

So basically in answer to your question probiotics are okay to take if you are TTC or pregnant but I would try and use other remedies before taking anything before your treatment. If you really are struggling (I can imagine it is painful) then ask your gp about probia. I will email my nutionist tomorrow and see what she says as well.

Gizzy xxx

Thanks for all the info Gizzy, I knew you'd be the one to ask :)

I think i have a really good varied diet, my weight issue is due to portions size rather than eating crap.

I have gone through phases of eating nothing but fruit and veg, porridge, nutty granola. I was even on a smoothie diet for about 4 weeks once. I tried eating loads of prunes too.

Nothing.

I even OD'd on senna for a couple of nights (very unlike me) and still I couldn't go!

It seems to be dependant on my cycle. When I OV I instantly stop pooping. Then as I hit AF, I'll suddenly get a load of bowel movements within a couple of days - like now - but the stools look very much like sheep poo (tmi) and I find it hard to get the last bits out (very tmi).

Then after AF it will slow right down again. It been going on for a couple of years now.

I don't force it out so I don't suffer any pain or anything, but I do feel bloated often and I get stong "OV" pains that I wonder might be gas, but I hardly ever have wind.

I've still got about 4 weeks before starting any treatment so I'm thinking i will be able to a full course in and then decide on if it's had any impact or not. I just keep on thinking "bowel cancer" and i think constipation is supposed to get worse during pregnancy? At this rate a BFP would mean no poop for the whole 9 months :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back