Fundal Height

SarahCarps2be

Reaction score
Midwife measures from baby's head to baby rump (bum) .

I think it's from the top of your pubic bone up to where they can feel your womb, I THINK lol but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.. Lol xxxx

It's check growth and position they baby's in , like you'd use a tape measure when sewing , on the outside of your bump .xx

I think it's from the top of your pubic bone up to where they can feel your womb, I THINK lol but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.. Lol xxxx

Thank you Kra! :).
I emailed you back btw ;) xxx

If you image are three zones pubic bone being the bottom line , the next line being the belly button , and third being your rib cage , they are the three stages the midwife is checking growth by.xx

Lol at the advice... They measure from top to bottom... but my argument is... how do they know how much of it is baby and how much of it is water? Plus baby can go round the back.... :S ...
Lol, the tape measure my MW uses is for decorating hahaha xxxx

I was just wondering whether any of you lovely ladies would be able to explain to me this whole fundal height measurements and how they work!?
I've got a MW appointment on Friday and I'll be 24 + 5...

If you look at my Journal - Theres a latest bump photo on there...
http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/pregnancy-journals/236664-our-little-bundle-bump-d-3.html

Would she measure from now or when do they measure from!?

Hey, most mw do the measurement from 28w not the 24w appointment, she'll measure from your pubic bone to where she can feel the top of your uterus, this gives your bump size (fundal height) usually the cm corresponde roughly to how many weeks you are.

head to rump measurement are usually only done in scans, and prior to you getting to 20w

Midwife measures from pubic bone to the top of ur uterus with a tape measure. I got measured at 22wks app and i was measuring 24cm then. Hope that helps :) xx

I was just wondering whether any of you lovely ladies would be able to explain to me this whole fundal height measurements and how they work!?

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/pregnancy-journals/236664-our-little-bundle-bump-d-3.html

Hey, most mw do the measurement from 28w not the 24w appointment, she'll measure from your pubic bone to where she can feel the top of your uterus, this gives your bump size (fundal height) usually the cm corresponde roughly to how many weeks you are.

head to rump measurement are usually only done in scans, and prior to you getting to 20w

Ahhh so how many CM's you measure, is how much you measure week wise..
For examples sake. IF i was 28 weeks, and my CM's was 32cm, I'd be measuring at 32weeks rather than my actual 28weeks (I know I'd still stay at 28 weeks obviously, just example wise)...

And yeah, I thought this too with the CRL measurement being before 20 weeks... :wall2:

Midwife measures from pubic bone to the top of ur uterus with a tape measure. I got measured at 22wks app and i was measuring 24cm then. Hope that helps :) xx

Any reason why she measured you at 22 weeks, or she just did it!?

This is why I'm wondering whether she'd do it anyway at this one seeing as my bumps.. Very... Bumpish should I say haha

This is why I'm wondering whether she'd do it anyway at this one seeing as my bumps.. Very... Bumpish should I say haha

Think its just part of the routine when u see the midwife. Yeah i think she will defo measure u at this appointment as ur rather bumpy like myself lol xx

For examples sake. IF i was 28 weeks, and my CM's was 32cm, I'd be measuring at 32weeks rather than my actual 28weeks (I know I'd still stay at 28 weeks obviously, just example wise)...

And yeah, I thought this too with the CRL measurement being before 20 weeks... :wall2:

yeah basically, they say 2cm either side is expected :)

was hoping they'd measure me at 24, (i'm huge lol)

Think its just part of the routine when u see the midwife. Yeah i think she will defo measure u at this appointment as ur rather bumpy like myself lol xx

Oooo we will see! hopefully she does :p Be interesting to see what I measure at! :D.

yeah basically, they say 2cm either side is expected :)

was hoping they'd measure me at 24, (i'm huge lol)

Ahhh I thought this was the case.

Thanks girlies for explaining..

I looked through my notes the other day and seen a FH growth chart stuck in there I was like wtfs this!? Lol.

lol. yeah expecially as they start at like 14/16w but the midwife does nothing until 28w as a rule lol

yeah, i'm hoping i'm retaining alot of water...

9w
09w.jpg

13w+2
13+2.jpg

23w
23w.JPG

24w
24w.JPG

25w+1
25w.JPG

Wow your bumpy like me. I had a little bump at like 9-10 weeks too :p

Users who are viewing this thread