Measuring small for dates

Heatherb

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just been for a routine check-up with the mw. I mentioned to her that I didn't feel very big (I like to chat when I'm in there), and said that it was probably because I was comparing this pregnancy to my other 3, and I was a lot bigger myself each time. But, then she checked fundal height, and it was only 23cm. She was quite precise in her measurements, and did it 2 or 3 times to check (I actually thought she brought the tape too far down my pubic bone, but that would make it worse). I am 25 weeks today, so 2cm out. I wouldn't be overly worried, and I would say this in any post that anyone else posted about measurements, but with all the other 3 they always measured around 2cm over the specified number of weeks. So, to measure that much under this time has got me worried.

Mw did seem concerned, but thought that baby was probably lying transverse and that is perhaps why I am measuring smaller. i have another appointment in 3 weeks just to check, and that they would only send me for a scan if I was consistantly measuring 2cm smaller for dates.

Bp is also lower again - 88/48!! She said this was low, but not to worry about it.

Baby is moving absolutely loads, and heartbeat was fine, so no worries there.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of small fundal height?? As I said, mine have always been the other way in the past.

Thank you.

Heather x

My sis had 2 boys and then a girl and she was way way smaller with her daughter than the boys when born she was 7lb to her 9lb brothers.

Maybe its just a slighter baby and I did see in another post a little while ago (sorry can't remember who posted) but her mw said as long as its no more than 2cm either way its fine.

Hi

I agree hun i also thought i read about the 2 cm rule.
Katrina

I had to have a growth scan on monday due to measuring 5 cm smaller turns out baby is ok size wisw, amniotic fluid levels are ok but baby is breech and sitting right down in my pelvis therefore that explains the small for dates mearurements.
~I heard that is you are around 2cm either way they tend not to worry about it as its a lot to do with babys position.

hope that helps a tad

myst x

mine measured over even though I have been having scns coz my LO is on the small side.
Someone on the forum said they don't even measure fundus height in her area as they are considered to inaccureate...If m/w was truely concerned she would of send you for a scan to make sure but know that doesn't stop you worrying
:hug:

Thanks for your replies.

It really does vary I suppose, but I put a post on another forum I am a member of and a student midwife replied saying that all midwives are now being told that they have to use the tape measure at each check-up - don't know if they have some new sort of evidence??

The only thing that was really worrying me was the fact that my other 3 babies all measured 2cm over at each check-up - even dd measured big all the way through, and she was born at 40+7 and only weighed 6lb15oz!! I think this is what was worrying me, and perhaps why the mw wanted to keep a closer eye on me.

Thanks again.

Heather x

how do you even measure your tummy anyway :oops: ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back