Baby Fundal Height Measurments

shadow

Reaction score
I’ve a question about Fundal Height measurements. At what point would the midwife carry out measurements, and is it done for every pregnancy?

The reason I ask is because in my pregnancy notes there is a section for Fundal Height measurements, and it says they will be carried out from 26-28 weeks onwards, and done every 2 to 3 weeks via a measuring tape. I’ve not been measured at all and I’m now 32 weeks (well they’ve not gotten out a measuring tape, or recorded any measurements). Is this normal?

I would like to know that my baby is growing normally; the midwife has not indicated that anything is wrong, but I just assumed this would be recorded on my notes?

Is this how they predict the size/weight of your baby? That was going to be my next question, does the midwife automatically tell you what size they estimate the baby will be, or do you have to ask. I’m really interested in knowing what kind of size my baby will be (I know they probably can’t give an accurate answer, but at least they’ll be able to give me an estimation?)

My midwife has checked my fundal height every visit since about 25 wks, but I know that some people don't think it is a very accurate way of measuring. It doesn't predict the size of baby, just measures the size of your uterus and should be a cm for each week so you should be 32cm now (plus or minus 3 cm is still ok).

I am measuring too big and they think it is fluid not baby, hence not being a way they can measure the size of baby.

I don't think they tell you how big they think baby will be (mine just keeps telling me that it isn't too big!)

It's honestly a load of rubbish anyway. It depends on who is measuring you and how they measure you as they all do it differently.

I would ask her about it next time you see her as you should be getting measured now.

I've been measured 3 times now. But I don't think it really means much. Ask your midwife about why she doesn't do it at your next appointment. It's probably for a good reason - maybe because she's an experienced midwife she can see you are carrying about the right height without having to measure? :hug:

I got measured yesterday and the student midwife came up with 22 weeks :lol:

I don't think it is that important but its something they do

in my last 5 appointments i been measured 2 times, but each time was a different MW, maybe some just dont bother??

I did ask at my last app if I was the right size and she said yes. But I will speak with her about it at my next app in 3 weeks time, as I'd be interested to know why she hasn't measured me.

In the past i've been measured and not measured.....A midwife with plenty of experience will just look at you and know that you are about the right size for your weeks......Plus if you carry any extra weight they don't bother as its hard to get an accurate picture. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I had my 28 week MW appointment just now. Same MW so no worries on different measurement technique.

I measured 30cm :shock: She had a good old prod and squeeze also and said baby feels a 'good size' said with a slightly louder tone on that wording and a smile, so got the impression LO is a bit on the big side atm :lol:

I'm not overly worried though. I'm tall, a bit overweight but she said it was all within normal margins etc.

Well lil miss is proof its all rubbish... at 39weeks my fundal height was measuring 33 weeks... I'd had a scan the week before so no one was worried.. but my mw said that if I hadn't had had a scan she would have sent me to the hospital for an emergency scan as I was measuring so low... lil miss turned up a week later a weighing over 4kg... so the fundal height had no bearing on her actual size in the end :) I think it just gives mw's something to do to make them look busy :rotfl:

I started being measured at 30 weeks... but I just need to count the stretchmarks on my tummy/sides and see how bright a shade of red they are to tell you how much I've grown :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back