Formula and how much?

BellaRiven

Reaction score
For people who have formula fed from day one, how much did your little one take at 6 weeks?

Riven is still only taking anything between 90-120mls each feed and I am a little paranoid he is not getting enough even though he is putting weight on.

Thanks xxx

Aila is drink between 130 and 150 at 7 weeks but i think shes beginning to get reflux cause her feeds are coming back up more often, not a major amount. She is quiet a long baby .. 58 cms at 5 weeks and 10lbs 10 at 6 weeks .. i wouldnt be too worried if they're hungry then they will let us know :) xx

My lo was taking 150mls every 2 awake hours and every 3 on the rare occasion she slept, in hindsight I would've either reduced the volume per feed or fed at longer intervals. As long as your lo is gaining and following an even gradient I wouldn't worry :)

My lo was taking 150mls every 2 awake hours and every 3 on the rare occasion she slept, in hindsight I would've either reduced the volume per feed or fed at longer intervals. As long as your lo is gaining and following an even gradient I wouldn't worry :)

My lo is doing that at the moment (6 weeks old) - taking approx 120-150ml at each feed and only going 3 hours max and sometimes only going 2 hours between feeds. I thought lo might have been going 3/4 hours between feeds at this age. Have you any advice?

I dont think 3 hrs between feeds is uncommon however I eeked the time out - 15 mins per week, so if your lo is feeding every 2 hrs, feed every 2hrs 15 mins for the first week, 2hrs 30 mins for the second. You may be able to increase the time every 4-5 days, play it by ear. If your baby is crying, use distraction techniques, if that fails, feed a little cool boiled water to take the edge off, you may even be able to extend the time by 30 mins in one go by using the water technique. My HV supported this plan too, she recommended the water x (I needed to do something as lo's colic was really bad)

Last edited:

My lo is doing that at the moment (6 weeks old) - taking approx 120-150ml at each feed and only going 3 hours max and sometimes only going 2 hours between feeds. I thought lo might have been going 3/4 hours between feeds at this age. Have you any advice?

My little guy is only going 3 hours during the day with food and milk at nearly 5 1/2 months!!
xxx

Ralph is taking 180ml (6oz) every 3 hours. He was weighed last week and was 14lb at 6 weeks. His a healthy solid boy and a very hungry baby lol xx

Last edited:
At 6 weeks Abi is on 4oz, 5 times a day. I was worried as i didn't think this was enough but she would let me know if she wanted more. Getting her weighed tomo so shall see how she is doing :) x

Think I'm gonna have to start making a note of what r is having and when.

Then make sure I get him weighed every couple of weeks.

I'm wondering if he might be behind because of his op...

hey hun

dont worry bout his op putting him behind as they always catch up, alfie was a greedy little thing and was on 6oz every 2hrs then at 6 weeks this went up to 7oz!!

at 7 weeks he changed completly to a happy to go 3-4 hrs baby on 7oz :) but thats changing again coz his new milk, max he will drink at moment is 4oz and is really grumpy with it :( had him weighed today and he is 13lb but gonna see how this milk affects his weight gain!! and as long as riven is gaining weght i wouldnt worry you might find that he dont have much more as some babies dont, they just thrive better when weaned and this may be riven :hugs:xx

Last edited:
Keira is on 150 mls every 3-4 hrs n one 180 mls just before bed and thsi does her 6 hr s xx

Think I'm gonna have to start making a note of what r is having and when.

Then make sure I get him weighed every couple of weeks.

I'm wondering if he might be behind because of his op...

Please dont worry that the op has put him behind!! YOu will obviously worry about it more than other mums but they readjust very easily!! H fell nearly 3 centiles when I was bfing and got hospitalised so I started to give formula and he guzzled and guzzled till he was up at his birth centile and then evened out!! It was odd like he knew how much he shud weigh!!
xx

we have been formula feeding since day 5, Roman is 6weeks now and has taken 4-5oz since he was about a week old. although thease days its mostly 5oz he takes,every 3hours. he has his last feed about 11pm and he will sleep till 5-5.30am, have a bottle then sleep another 3hours.
he was 8lbs 12oz at birth (and 8days early) and was weighed on wed at 6weeks exactly he was 11lbs 6.5oz

i wouldnt worry if your lo is gaining weight and satisfied after his feeds. they take as much as they need x

Last edited:
My first son was the same hun little and often x as long as he is feeding don't worry about it x he was still only drinking 120ml at five months old x

20/06/2012 - Elliott born at 12:09 x

11/02/2011 - Leo born at 11:37 x

Fred's feeding can be quite erratic, he will take 5oz every 3 hours, then only 2 oz every 4 hours and in total is taking up to 8 feeds a day. Last week though he must have been having a growth spurt as he was taking the full 5oz bottle every 2 hours.

I agree with what others have said, as long as he is putting on weight i'm sure he's getting what he needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back