How much did your newborn take? (Formula Mums!)

Jaidy

Reaction score
Unfortunately I wasnt able to breastfeed, so my little man is on formula, SMA Gold.

How much are newborns meant to take in one feed?

Zac is feeding every 4 hours and is taking 4OZs at each feed. The midwife has said this is great, but I still worry he isnt having enough feeds during the day (he has 5.)

Also the past few nights he has been having his last bottle about 11, then going down and sleeping all night until about 5/6 ish then he starts to whimper and I get up and feed him straight away.

Is this ok, leaving him 6 hours through the night if he is taking on average 20OZ a day?? He is a week and 2 days old now.

Just wanted to check im doing ok!!

Hiya hun.

im not to sure as my two were born early. so i could never let them go over 2 hours with out a feed. and they were taking about 2oz if that
but 4oz is great for a newborn. so wouldnt worry there.
not sure on the 6hours though?

hi hun, keeley was taking 3-4 oz's so your doing excellent babe.. as for the night feeds i don't really know cos keeley used to wake every four hours... is the hv still comin to see you? if so ask her hun...

hope that helps

I'm sure he'd wake you earlier if he was hungry. We were just told to feed on demand? :think: 6 hours continuous sleep is amazing going though! I think the usual for formula babies must be about 3 in the early days :bored:

That sound fine to me. 20oz a day is great a lot more than Aimee ever drank. Some days she only took 7oz and she still gained weight.

Sounds fine to me! as long as he is happy and content, and putting on weight don't worry!

If he is putting on weight youknow he is getting enough.

Relax and enjoy him, i know its easier said than done! I was a nervous wreck for the first 2 weeks, untill i relaxed and realised it was actually the HV and the MW that were stressing me out more than enything - so we told them to go away and we would contact them if we had problems.

After he was 2 months i only got him weighed about every one-2 months because i couldnt stand the HV!!

You are doing fine hun!

what you are doing is spot on, Louie was on 4 oz when he was born & he slept roughly that at night too.

you're doing a great job & thats why Zac is contented enough to sleep 6 hrs at night, wohoo!!!!
lots of :sleep: :sleep: for you. :cheer:

he sounds like he is doing great, dont worry bout him sleeping all night, if he was hun gry he would let you know, if it worries you that much y not try a dream feed? xx

awww jade...sounds like ur doing great hun!

well done!

i wudnt mind if Jahlani would sleep for 6/7 hours! :lol: well done babes.. bless!

:hug:

Thats great hun, Harrison only managed 30ml for the first week! He will let you know if he's hungry!

That sounds great to me hun, he is sleeping better than Alastair already :rotfl: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Well im hoping ive not jinxed it now by saying that :rotfl:

I asked the MW today and she said its no problem at all to leave him through the night and not wake him, as he is taking more than enough during the day so im really relieved.

Its just such a new experience isnt it, and you want to be reassured that your doing everything alright for your baby, especially when its your first :)

Thanks for all your comments girls, you have been a great help xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back