Bottle combination feeding....

BellaRiven

Reaction score
Ok so after the traumas of trying to get Riven to take the boob and him not doing it, we made the decision to combination bottle feed and this is working for us, he has at least 90ml of boob juice and then if he is still hungry after that we top him up with some formula.

This weekend as we were camping he didn't get as much boob juice as it wasn;t so easy to express it, and he has had some solid formula feeds overnight mainly, I think this has affected him badly as he has upchucked after every feed.

He doesn't 'eat' a lot of the formula anyway normally about 70 - 90 ml, we use the Tommee Tippee bottles, he is on Aptamil formula but we just can't stop him up chucking...

Would it be worth trying a different brand of formula? or do you think it could be reflux?

Does anyone have any suggestions at all, I'm concerned he is going to lose weight, now were home we are going back to proper combination feeding with booby juice, but i'm concerned if he does have a full formula feed he will upchuck again..

Are you feeding him 90mls of expressed milk plus 70-90mls formula at a feed?

Babies will vomit excess milk in their tummies and it often comes up with burps.

Ooops pressed send too quick.

6oz at a feed sounds a lot to me for a newborn. But then I don't know really how much a baby should take. I have been advised to feed Tilly 5oz of expressed milk at a feed, but Tilly has reflux and her tummy mustn't be overloaded.

It's probably not that much he is bringing back up, it always looks more than it is.

No no, we give 90 ml of the breastmilk and top up to 100 with formula, the midwife said he should be on 70 - 110 ml by now.

I'm thinking of dropping the amounts he obviously can't handle that much yet....

I just have no idea again on what I'm doing....

Ah, I see. Lol.

His weight will be the best indicator of whether something is going wrong and he isn't getting enough.

If he isn't losing weight in my experience the health professionals don't care about the spitting up. I was getting covered in sick before I cut down on Tilly's feeds but she was still gaining so obviously getting enough. She's not sick nearly as much now.

Some babies are just sickly ones. He could have a bit of reflux too. I can't advise on formula, hopefully someone else can help you with that. I don't suppose trying a different one will harm?

your baby is the best indicator at how much he wants the packs just give guidelines although not all babies are the same my LO is on between 150-180ml at every feed any less and he will sreamm blue murder....can you not just persevere with the milk for a little while longer to see if it settles down the chucking if not the speak to someone about swapping!! i did i spoke to a member of family whho has worked on maternity for 6 years as alfie was strving constanly and pooping at least 10x a day which didnt seem right to me she said it seemed to be going straight through him, so we swapped on sunday to aptamil and it seems to have done the trick xx

good luck with it hun xxx

What we found helped was to give him 2/3rds of the bottle and then even if he was crying we wud walk him around or watch a bit of telly, if he was still crying then we wud give him more but often they dont realise they are full till after they have finished feeding and any excess will be puked up!!
xxx

My baby boy is now 8 weeks old and has been EBF, I have started expressing and I am currently weaning into combination feeding. With the formula sometimes he will have 5oz and sometimes 4oz, BUT with my breast milk he only seems to have about 3oz/3 1/2 oz. I am not sure whether breastmilk is more filling than formula?
I have also found on occasion he will behave like he is still hungry but as Mrs N said he didn't realise he was full til a few mins after xxxx

the hindmilk is more filling than formula so if he seems satisfied after that much then maybe he is, it only takes 90 mins for the tummy to digest the bm tho so he may want to eat small amounts more often at the minute :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back