• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

formula and breastmilk?

NooNoo

Reaction score
im planning to breastfeed (hopefully :pray: )

can you mix between the two or is it best to keep to one??

:moon:

i started off just breast feeding but after a couple of weeks it wasnt enough for him on its own so we used formula too but he was much happier on formula so thats all im using now

im breast feeding i didnt try millie with a bottle until she was about 7 or 8 weeks old and she wouldnt take it shes such a diva lol.
if ur gonna mix get LO used to both early on!

I think if you can exclusively breastfeed that would be great, but if not you can successfully do both, I do with Isaac, very best wishes with whatever you find works for you and LO :hug:

we mainly do formula but when i try to breastfeed it feels uncomfy for me. think she latches on properly cause i get her when shes crying and mouth wide.

sometimes when shes hungry and near the breast she tries to breastfeed through my top lol

My son is four weeks old and is quite happily swapping between breast milk and formula. He doesn't seem to care what's shoved in his face as long as it milk!! He's a hungry boy :lol:

Remember introducing formula can affect your milk supply though, if you plan to BF for the long term I would say be wary of your milk supply dropping, if baby is getting nutrition from a bottle your body will stop making as much.
:)

I wouldn't advise mixing unless it's only one bottle of formula at the same time each day or something. I made the mistake of mixing and then my milk started dying up so I had to switch to just formula after 8 weeks. If possible it is better to express milk in to a bottle if you want to give some feeds that way. Your body works on a supply on demand basis so the less your baby feeds from you the less milk you will have.

you're both right about the worry about breast milk drying up. I had hoped to breast feed exclusively, but unfortunately my son is tongue tied and after three weeks of trying to just breast feed, the health visitor said that he wasn't gaining weight so advised using a bottle to give the EBM. As he had not been effectively sucking on my breast, my supply wasn't that great and i have been pumping every few hours for the last week to give as much breast milk as possible to him. The formula is used to top up what i can produce (given in separate bottles).

Happily, my milk supply is increasing slowly :dance: , so hopefully will return to just breast milk soon. Sadly, the minor surgery my son had to his tongue does not seem to have improved his ability to suckle though, so may have to express from now on :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back