For anyone having their baby at Medway Hosp......

jomc

Reaction score
.. just read an article about a new birthing centre they are opening (currently they have a maternity ward in the hosp).
Here is the article:

Medway Maritime Hospital is due to open a new midwifery-led unit which will offer more choice for mums across north and west Kent about where they give birth.
The unit, which will cater for around 800 - 1000 births a year, will offer a comfortable home from home environment, where the emphasis is on a relaxed birth experience which involves partners at every stage.
There will be 5 birthing rooms: 4 postnatal beds, 2 birthing pools, a low risk triage (assessment) area, and an education room where workshops will be held to help prepare mums and dads for life as parents. It can care for ten women at any one time.

Karen Mcintyre, head of midwifery and gynaecology at the hospital explained

"The new unit will be very family focussed and partners will be encourages to stay all the way through the birth. The rooms even have double beds so partners can stay overnight. The rooms will be ready for an active birth, which means women will be encouraged to move about freely and to find their own comfortable upright positions during contractions. The bed will not be the main focus of the room and will only be used when needed. Active birth is well known for improving the birthing experience as less medical interventions are needed. The unit is deigned to get parents parenting straight away - to start changing nappies and organising feeds from the outset with the support of midwives - so they are more prepared when they go home"

The unit, which is called The Birth Place, will open in October.

Going to ask my midwife about it at my next appointment.... from the sounds of it, it will be used alongside the normal maternity unit.

oh i was told about that at my booking appt! its def where i want pip to be born. dont like the idea of a "hospital" birth and dh isnt comfortable with a home birth so its the perfect compromise!

where do you live if you will be in medway?

I live in Sittingbourne! Im just worried that if I decided to go there, and then halfway through screamed out for an epidural, would they have a problem?
I like the idea of partners being able to stay throughout though :)

im sure they could always transfer you to the delivery unit in the main hospital if you insist you need an epidural!

can always ask ur mw that tho :)

will do... have my next appointment in 3 week so will be quizzing her then. It sounds lovely though :)

yeah it does. my mw told me about it when i booked in, and when i had my 16 week check she asked where i was thinking of giving birth :)shock:!) i said i wanted to be in the new unit and she was supportive in that.

i was classed at high risk when i booked in as i have had a lap/dye, hysteroscopy and ovarian drilling. they referred me to a consultant who classified me at low risk, as the ops did not interfere with my womb.

if i was high risk i wouldn't be allowed to give birth in the unit as they wouldnt have the necessary things ready if something went wrong, so am mega excited to be reclassified and be low risk, means i can have my home from home birth!

being that bit further on, i'm in the transition stages between the new unit opening, and the old one not being used as much. Was so put off by the old facilities that I decided not to go to medway at all, booked at Ashford instead.

Would consider Medway for baby 2 if it is as good as they say though!

Am on Sheppey, so it doesn't make much difference to travel time, but Medway would have been far easier than being an out of area booking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back