Food shopping on a budget:

Krystal

Reaction score
With all the food prices going through the roof I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread asking for your ideas. Am watching a Tonight special on this subject.

What do you do to keep your shopping low?

Do you use recipes and cook from scratch rather than buy pre packed food?

Do you use leftovers to make other meals?

And if so what type of recipes do you use?

I've been looking for websites with ideas but I can't find em

i do alot of my shopping at a local trade shop, i gets loads od top quality food that have damged boxes or are misshapes a really cheap prices

Do you plan your weekly food shop in advance? So you buy all the ingredients then plan each meal during week?

i try and buy enough meals for a week so i know that i have a meal for each night, i do use fresh veg and i also try and buy a big chicken and use it for 2 meals

My OH was out of work for ages so we really had to tighten our belts. I did a meal planner - whoich meant I didn't spend as much.

I cut down on the amount of meat we ate as I like to buy free range, anmd made pasta sauves and pasta bakes etc. I would buy a big chicken from my local butchers and get three meals from it. I also made my own meals from scratch - initially it was expensive as I had to buy the jars of spices and herbs but that now balances out and all I need to buy for a spag bol is a tin of tomatoes and some mince.

I also bought own brand washing powder etc

I've recently found tinned food to be invaluable! We've always eaten fresher 'fridge' food, but their canned counterparts are often cheaper and nutritionally sound if you believe what you read.

What we're eating more of.....

Canned pulses like chickpeas, cannelini beans, butter beans etc. They're substancial enough to use instead of meat or to bulk up a dish with a couple of sausages/teeny chicken piece.

Canned fish, not just tuna, but mackerel, sardines and pilchards. Mmmmmmm.

We're getting through more corned beef, sweetcorn, tinned fruit, pasta and other store cupboard bits too.

I'm not minding the food pinch so much at the moment, it means I'm having to be more imaginative and buying stuff that's on offer means we've tried new foods I never would ave bothered touching before.

Thats what i'm trying to do, you know like a dinner then any meat left do a stew or curry next day that type of thing but I really don't have the first clue and simple things like.. how long does food last for? Say if I do a stew, is it ok to re heat and have the next day? Or if I cook a quiche. How long does that last for lol.

I am hunting web to find answers but its such a big scary place lol

i do ash and then i warm the ash up the day after and put it on a pancake or in a giant yorkshire pudding and a large chiken will do a dinner and then a stir fry with loads of veg

Another great investment is a slow cooker.

Not really for summer food but it makes any old crappy bit of meat taste divine :)

beanie said:
My OH was out of work for ages so we really had to tighten our belts. I did a meal planner - whoich meant I didn't spend as much.

I cut down on the amount of meat we ate as I like to buy free range, anmd made pasta sauves and pasta bakes etc. I would buy a big chicken from my local butchers and get three meals from it. I also made my own meals from scratch - initially it was expensive as I had to buy the jars of spices and herbs but that now balances out and all I need to buy for a spag bol is a tin of tomatoes and some mince.

I also bought own brand washing powder etc

Own brand washing powder is a good idea actually never even considered that.

I think I may go into the butchers, I just never know how much to ask for. I'll prob end up coming out with loads :lol: I guess if I have a meal in mind and explain to butcher what I want he'll be helpful won't he.

Pasta is a good idea too cos it's cheap and you can keep in cupboard and stays fresh. Might go and have a look at pasta ideas.

Minxy - I have been buying tinned things recently, like lean mince and things like that. And lots of fish but then I always forget its there :roll:

I'm not even skint or anything at moment but watching that programme made me realise how much we waste and how much we could save just by planning our meals a bit more -

I am trying to be good so in future Jack has a good role model :lol: tis hard work isn't it

If you have a local farmers market get your fruit and veg from there. Its cheaper and it lasts longer. I have also just planted a load of veggies. Hopefully it will save a bit this summer.
I make everything from scratch as I find it cheaper and tastier. I also like to know whats in everything I eat!
Any leftover veg is great for making soup. Use stale bread to make bread puddings. I generally make large batches of food and freeze them for me and Dan.

Oooh another question. Do you buy your veg just once a week? Cos I find it goes off so quickly :? And I end up throwing most of it away - Oh Misslarue just seen your post. Maybe a veg shop would be better for lasting longer then.

I would love to freexe stuff but at the mo I only have a fridge and a tiny little freezer compartment at the top so I have no space to cook and freexe otherwise I think it would be a lot easier. Can't wait to move and have space for freezer

Sweetcheeks24 said:
Do you plan your weekly food shop in advance? So you buy all the ingredients then plan each meal during week?

I do this because otherwise I find I haven't always got things for a meal and tend to eat junk or get takeaways otherwise. I try and make extra to freeze aned I try and use up everything - I HATE wasting food!! (And I'm a bit liberal over use by dates! I tend to go by my nose.)

A usual week will be porridge for breakfast, sandwiches, yoghurts & fruit for lunch - with nice fillings like tasty cheeses, avocado, rocket etc so they are more appetizing as I think spending a littlebit more on nicer food that will be eaten is more cost effective than buying cheaper that is so gross it gets wasted. Then in the evenings things like chilli - which can be had the next night with a jacket potato, curry, stew, lasagne, stir-fry, fish with new pots and peas, pasta or gnocchi with some nice bread, home-made soup - the ultimate fast food. I try not to buy junk as I will eat that instead of cooking a proper meal and it is SO much more expensive. If I want a snack I tend to snack on fruit, yoghurts or toast. I keep a couple of packets of angel delight in case I fancy desert or have bananas and custard, or bake bananas with honey, or make a bread & butter pudding.

Sorry this was WAAAY longer than anticpated. Basically i buy porridge, bread, milk, meat, fish and a shed load of fruit & veg. I make sure the cupboards are aslways stocked with herbs & spices and the little 'extras' like honey, peanut butter etc.

Hope this helps. (I love my food in case that wasn't obvious! :rotfl: )

I go fruit and veg shopping twice a week as I was finding stuff was going off before the end of the week. Has cost slightly more but that is because I am gutsy and buy cherries and grapes like they are going out of fashion.

oh I love cherries. I was in tesco though today and they were £4.99 a punnet :shock:

beanie said:
I go fruit and veg shopping twice a week as I was finding stuff was going off before the end of the week. Has cost slightly more but that is because I am gutsy and buy cherries and grapes like they are going out of fashion.

I've been buying strawberries & raspberries quite a bit recently - which are kinda expensive BUT I don't buy crisps, sweets or chocolate so i figure it all balances out and it is so much healthier I can justify it. Afterall, a bowl of strwberries & cream is (mostly) good for you...

I buy online now they have just started delivering in our area. Our nearest supermarket is about 15-20miles away and I find if I'm walking around I pick up and see things that I wouldn't normally buy. So once a week we buy £30 worth of stuff for the week. Every 2weeks or so I will buy Anthony some beer but I never go over £30 in total I just cut off other stuff and think we will have to eat the stuff in the cupboards if we run out! I also think this stops him drinking too much all at once because he knows how expensive it is so he makes it last! He also likes meat and stuff which is usually expensive so out of a choice of beer and meat I know which one he would choose!!! If I lived on my own I honestly would live on hardly anything! I don't drink and I'm not keen on meats which I find is things that really bulk up costs! I buy lots of pasta, bread, cheese and milk. Also because most online stuff has to be used in a week it helps you to plan out what you are going to eat like tomorrow I know I have to make Veggie curry and the next day I have to use up the fresh pasta sauces. Keeps you in a bit of a routine so stuff isn't just left.

nickilubs said:
I buy online now they have just started delivering in our area. Our nearest supermarket is about 15-20miles away and I find if I'm walking around I pick up and see things that I wouldn't normally buy.

This is so true. On the odd occasion I shop at the store I spend about £40 extra.

Misslarue said:
nickilubs said:
I buy online now they have just started delivering in our area. Our nearest supermarket is about 15-20miles away and I find if I'm walking around I pick up and see things that I wouldn't normally buy.

This is so true. On the odd occasion I shop at the store I spend about £40 extra.

I was going to say that. Also, when you shop online you see all the offers in one place rather than dotted around the shop so you don't miss a bargain.

We buy biggish packs of mince and when we get home I cut them up, wrap in clingfilm and freeze because a whole pack is too much for us. I nearly always cook from scratch and bulk out meals with fresh veg, any leftovers will go into either the fridge for lunch next day or the freezer for another meal.
We don't bother buying cooking oil either. Also, with loaves of bread/crumpets/teacakes I separate them and put some in the freezer, then take a few slices out whenever needed to save it from going mouldy. (Any stale bread goes to the birdies :) )

I do that with bread too poppy160! :D Only Dan eats it in our house, so I seperate it and just take it out of the freezer when I need it. A loaf can last a good 10 days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back