• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Food help needed

SarahB

Reaction score
Hi, I need help!!! I am cooking dinner for my parents on Saturday and I've no idea what to make. I always do them a roast so want to avoid that, also Dad is VERY fussy, he doesn't like pasta, minced meat, stew, or anything "unusual".
Anyone have any suggestions?? :pray:

How about good old fashioned english garden salad - new potatoes are in season atm so they're great and then add cooked meat or cheeses, or guessing your dad's a traditional food lover - good pork pies etc
Add some special breads and it's all a lot less work than a full cooked meal.

libs said:
How about good old fashioned english garden salad - new potatoes are in season atm so they're great and then add cooked meat or cheeses, or guessing your dad's a traditional food lover - good pork pies etc
Add some special breads and it's all a lot less work than a full cooked meal.

hmmm that sounds really nice!! Make an extra effort on the presentation and it will be a proper english feast!

:rotfl:
guess what I've just decided I want to eat tonight now :D

Gratin d'Aufinois (potato bake with cream and cheese on top) mmmmh. usually it goes with a nice chicken, beef or pork roast but because you wanna avoid that i would suggest you have it with steak and a nice salad. :wink:

mmm.. this is making me hungry!

how about a buffet style thing? Do loads of little nibble foods and a salad and let people help themselves.

laetitia85 said:
Gratin d'Aufinois (potato bake with cream and cheese on top) mmmmh. usually it goes with a nice chicken, beef or pork roast but because you wanna avoid that i would suggest you have it with steak and a nice salad. :wink:
Oh I can't wait for my oven to be installed - I haven;t had that since Valentines Day - we had it with steak then it was delicious :D

ooo!!!!!!! im so hungry!!

i made honey and lemon chicken the other day, and a rice noodle & chinese chicken salad. it was yummy!!

Great ideas everyone thank you!!! I love the idea of the salad but DH doesn't like salad, especially for dinner :roll:
Honestly, my family are a nightmare to cook for.
I have decided on the dessert though, I'm making a banoffe pie, yum yum!!

Keep the suggestions coming, I still don't know what to do. :D

I have anice steak in congac and cream sauce. Which is LOVELY. Goes down very well with my parents.
I have done a really nice Chicken wrapped in parma ham in a red wine sauce.
Chicken breast in a coconut sauce.
Lasagne (great if you want to prepare well in advance as you can cook this hours earlier or even the day before and just finish off in the oven 45mins before eating).

or if the weather is as nice as it is now, how about a Barbeque?

BBQ struck me as well

How about a steak pie, simple enough?

I thought about a BBQ but checked the weather and it's not going to be very nice here Saturday.

Nicky can you send me the steak and cognac recipie??? That sounds very nice, is it easy to do? Thanks x

Sam the honey and Lemon chicken sounds good too, how do you do it?

libs said:
BBQ struck me as well

How about a steak pie, simple enough?

I don't know how to make a steak pie :(

Have you got a good recipie?

orange zest, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, cover the chicken in it and pop on a griddle pan

i tend to do one orange one lemon & 3 tbs of honey.

steak pie =

Ingredients
900g/2lb stewing steak, cut into cubes
plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
570ml/1 pint hot beef stock
225g/8oz ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
1 free-range egg, beaten

Method
1. Dust the cubed steak with the flour
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and fry the meat, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides.
3. Add the sliced onions, herbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the stock and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for an hour and a half.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
6. Transfer the filling mixture to an ovenproof dish. Line the rim of the dish with a thin strip of pastry. Dampen the pastry rim by brushing with beaten egg. Cut a piece of pastry to fit across the top of the dish and place on top of the dish, pressing the edges together to seal. Decorate with pastry trimmings, make a steam hole in the centre of the pie by slashing with a sharp knife, then brush with more beaten egg.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook for 1-1½ hours. If the pastry gets too brown, cover it with foil. Serve hot.

got that one from the bbc site :think:

Which is exactly where I would have got it from :D
Love that site and the Good Food magazine one now as well - every month I buy the magazine then the recipes are on there anyway :D

steak with cognac mustard sauce

serves 2

1.5lb steak
4 tbls butter
1/4 cup double cream
3 tbls cognac (I normally use brandy)
1 tbls Dijon mustard
2 tbls Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Fry the steak in half the butter until rare (it will carry on cooking once you take it off the heat)
Transfer into a low heat oven to keep warm
Add the remainder of the butter, cream, cognac, mustard and worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer for 3mins.
Re-add the steak to the sauce and cook briefly (or longer depending on your taste). It is really easy.

Thank you so much girls, I think I will give the either the steak pie or the steak and cognac. I knew I could rely on you lot :D :hug:

SarahB said:
Hi, I need help!!! I am cooking dinner for my parents on Saturday and I've no idea what to make. I always do them a roast so want to avoid that, also Dad is VERY fussy, he doesn't like pasta, minced meat, stew, or anything "unusual".
Anyone have any suggestions?? :pray:

go and get the picky sod a macdonalds!!! he won;t come for lunch again then! pah!!! putting you to all that trouble! i wouldn't have it!!! :shakehead:

:rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Budge, too right he wouldn't come back for dinner.... hmmm maybe a good idea :think: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back