Follow on milk

CARNAT22

Reaction score
What's the deal with this?

James is FF with Aptamil, when we start weaning properly does he need to move to follow on milk?

xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Nat hows you and he little fella?

We had started weaning before 6 months tho E is still not on a great lot of food a day. When she turned 6 months we switched to the follow on milk and she is gradually dropping milk albeit only a few ounces a day xxxxxxxxx

My HV told me to continue with normal formula she said its better for them x

Thanks ladies,

James is just dandy.

We've started introducing tasters everyday and so far so good.

He's getting weighed soon so I'll ask then. I had a quick look online and could see that some people do go to follow on milk and others don't so I was confused.

xxxxxxxxx

We didn't but are now just changing to follow on as I know he's getting everything he needs from his diet so his milk just compliments that.

We used follow on milk, think they will be fine on normal milk too but we just went with the recommendation!
Xxx

U think the follow in milk ha additional vitamins that are needed after the 6 month mark c

The follow on milk is basically a con to get around the 6month advertising ban. It's not needed for ur LO but some mums prefer to switch, especially as u can get points/offers etc on follow on milk. However, I've heard some mums switch only to discover it doesn't agree with LOs tummies. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I'd much rather carry on with what we use to be honest.

Just checking before I stock up :lol:

xxxxxxxxx

I'm going to switch, I was anaemic as a baby so don't want jack to go down that route and the follow on has extra iron in it. Also, the boots points will be much appreciated! Xxx

It's also supposed to be less filling so LO has a bigger appetite for solids. I'm trying to remember when I switched with Seren and I think it was round the 8 month mark. Then she was totally off formula and bottles just before she turned 1.

I'll try and do the same again xxx

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

I've heard it's not too different so will be switching at 6m purely for financial reasons! If it doesn't agree with her though I am happy to pay the extra for first stage xx

I switched lo didn't like milk but when we started using follow on he seemed to like it.

The follow on milk is basically a con to get around the 6month advertising ban. It's not needed for ur LO but some mums prefer to switch, especially as u can get points/offers etc on follow on milk. However, I've heard some mums switch only to discover it doesn't agree with LOs tummies.(

This ^^

There is virtually no difference and it's fine to continue to give first milk.

The follow on milk is basically a con to get around the 6month advertising ban. It's not needed for ur LO but some mums prefer to switch, especially as u can get points/offers etc on follow on milk. However, I've heard some mums switch only to discover it doesn't agree with LOs tummies.(

This ^^

There is a difference, there are extra vitamins and minerals to support a weaning diet.

If your baby is formula fed, the have only enough vitamin and iron stores to get them to 6 months. After 6 months you need to make sure they have their RDA which is unlikely to be achieved from diet alone. If you choose to stay on first milk then you'll have to get a vitamin supplement as well. Follow on milk makes perfect sense IMO, so why wouldn't you?

Plus - SMA follow on is £6.60 a tub in the Asda baby event!! xx

I've been doing some research on follow on milk following the creation of this thread.

I've discovered that some follow on milks have non milk sugars in them which can lead to an aversion in drinking cow's milk when the time comes and also potentially tooth decay.

The world health association has stated that follow on milk is not necessary and is purely a marketing tactic. Also, follow on milks do not have to adhere to strict ingredients like first formula so can add things like sucrose and glucose as mentioned above.

I didn't realise any of this when I switched with Seren. I'm going to have a good read of the ingredients on the tins before I make a decision on switching. If the iron content is the same, I won't bother. If it's marginal I won't bother either. I'll just make sure Bethan is eating red meat or lentils along with some vitamin c like fruit to increase absorption.

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

William is nearly 9 months and still on cow&gate stage 1. I'm sure I asked the same question and got a mixed answer. So I did some researching and basically it is marketing and a bit of a con.
Yes they do need extra vitamins and minerals that formula doesn't satisfy them with anymore, but what food you are feeding, even tiny amounts will have what they need and once they hit 6 months then you can add more variet and iron and protein rich products.
I also just didn't switch because he's settled. No upset tummys, good routine. If its not broke don't fix it?!
And I also think what if I was breastfeeding? Would I tell my boobs to produce follow on milk??xxx

This ^^

There is a difference, there are extra vitamins and minerals to support a weaning diet.

If your baby is formula fed, the have only enough vitamin and iron stores to get them to 6 months. After 6 months you need to make sure they have their RDA which is unlikely to be achieved from diet alone. If you choose to stay on first milk then you'll have to get a vitamin supplement as well. Follow on milk makes perfect sense IMO, so why wouldn't you?

Plus - SMA follow on is £6.60 a tub in the Asda baby event!! xx
I'm afraid this is all marketing by the milk companies. There is no evidence to show that there is any nutritional benefit to follow on milk. There is additional iron yes, but research shows that babies can only absorb about 3% of that added to the milk, they need it from their diet.

As someone else said, there is also other sugars in follow on milk, as the regulations on non-milk sugars in first milk don't apply.

If it's for financial reasons, fair enough.

The milk companies are the ones who provide info about vitamin content, not the people who matter.

LO will stay on SMA gold until she stops taking formula. I dont mind paying extra when I know that theres nothing in it that shouldnt be x

tapatalking x

I requested data sheets from HiPP Organic for a list of ingredients - it's pretty much the same, with a little bit extra of some things. So we switched to Follow-On and Greyson is fine with it - no tummy upsets or anything. I admit I chose to change because of the cost - 2 for £13, and £5.10 during a baby event - if it hadn't agreed with him, I would have switched back though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back