Flying

lmarszall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to Paris for the weekend at the end of the monmth when i will be 20 weeks.

It is ok to fly isn't it. Is there any tips or anything??

the flight is only an hour or so.

Its just no point trying to get hold of my midwife as she is useless.

thanks,

Lau
xx

Found this for you, have a great time.

Flying whilst Pregnant
Pregnant women need not be restricted from flying. Most airline permit pregnant women to fly until the end of the 35th week of pregnancy, whereupon expectant mothers are strictly advised not to fly.

Exact stipulations from airline to airline vary, and it is well worth contacting airlines in advance of flying to confirm their regulations. Some airlines, may request a medical certificate specifying the expectant date of delivery.

Tips for for Pregnant Flyers

Pregnant women should also be aware that flying carries a greater health risk to the baby and mother than the average passenger.

The risk of DVT is greatly accentuated and DVT preventative in-flight socks should be worn.

Background cosmic radiation levels are also higher at altitude, which can be harmful to the foetus. Expectant mothers are, therefore, recommended to avoid flying during the first three months of pregnancy if possible.

Pregnancy, represents on of the most valid times to splash out on a business or first class ticket, especially if you are making a long haul flight. Leg rests encourage better circulation, and greater leg room will provide greater comfort, then the more cramped economy class.

Seat belts should be worn low around the pelvis.

Avoiding immobility for the duration of the flight is paramount for expectant mothers, as the viscosity of their blood tends to increase. Try walking around the plane at regular intervals.

Consume plenty of water throughout the flight and avoid the consumption of heavy foods which, through prolonged immobility, can lead to stomach cramps and pain.

Do not take sleeping tablets to circumvent jet lag, instead try to realign your sleeping patterns

Hi!I flew a few weeks back at around 24 weeks.

All was fine and my midwife said it was the best time to fly.

We travelled with BA which was great as they have quite a lot of leg room.

We just made sure that we pre booked me an aisle seat near the toilet.

I made sure i was filled up with water and drank a lot of this on the flight.

Lukily BA drinks are complimentary but if not make sure you take money for the flight as you won't be allowed to take on standard size bottles as most airlines are still being very strict with liquid so I would check with your individual one.

Try to avoid caffeine, wear loose shoes and have a walk about when you can.

Main point though.... enjoy it, Paris is a fab city, lucky you!

We went there for my b'day last year and we loved it, going back with all of the kids this year so will be nice but not so romantic :roll: ... enjoy your romantic time :cheer: :hug:

Thanks for that.

It is already booked so i expect our seats will be crap!

And it is only a small plane flying from southampton to paris so leg room and getting up wont be that easy, but for an hour and a quarter i'll cope :D

As for romantic i am going with my mum, sis, aunt and cousin so unfortunately it won't be.

I am sad as i hate going away without DP and i will really miss him :(

lau
x

you will have a fantastic time anyway!

Have you been before?

I love the place!!!

Well i went when i was about 14 with school, but that doesn't really count!

Hoping to find some nice baby shops somewhere :D

Lau
xx

i don't really know about flying when pregnant :oops:

but i just wanted to say have a lovely time :hug:

bring us pics :lol:

1 hour should be fine.....I flew back to the UK from San Francisco and then returned 2 weeks later and I was in bits! I threw up after both flights and didn't eat properly for about 4 days following both flights either. I wouldn't recommend flying Trans Atlantic if you can help it but 1 hour should be fine!

Be prepared for leg fidgets and I would recommend an aisle seat too! I guess there'll be no food offered, otherwise you can request low sodium with some carriers!

Have fun and avoid the sloppy cheese!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: Have a fantabulous time, I wish I were going!!!! :cheer: :cheer:

Hi

Take a look in the first tri section where Mayday has posted (She is a pilot)

I am off to Sydney, yes I know, the furthest place possible and I think so long as your PG is progressing ok its ok. I got the all clear anyway, jsut need to have a check up before and after!

Nervous about that puking thing you mentioned though - oh well it was booked so long as it aint dangerous I will have to live with the sickness! :think:

xxxx

have a great time . I am not jelous at all :fib:

Ok, I have another flying related query!!! Does anyone know how old the baby can be before it can fly, or us for that matter? Ihave a friend getting married overseas and they want us to be there but I'm not sure how long it will be before Junior and I can fly?!

*glow* said:
Hi

Take a look in the first tri section where Mayday has posted (She is a pilot)

I am off to Sydney, yes I know, the furthest place possible and I think so long as your PG is progressing ok its ok. I got the all clear anyway, jsut need to have a check up before and after!

Nervous about that puking thing you mentioned though - oh well it was booked so long as it aint dangerous I will have to live with the sickness! :think:

xxxx

I went to America when i was 6 weeks when my morning sickness was just kicking in an even then i wasnt sick after the flight, everyone's different hun dont worry about it

Ali K said:
Ok, I have another flying related query!!! Does anyone know how old the baby can be before it can fly, or us for that matter? Ihave a friend getting married overseas and they want us to be there but I'm not sure how long it will be before Junior and I can fly?!

I found this if it helps:
Taken from this website http://www.babies1stflight.co.uk/advice.html
Airlines will not take infants under 48-hours-old, but some may take babies up to a week old, providing you can supply them with a doctor's note stating baby is fit to fly.
Mothers who have given birth within the last 48 hours are also unable to fly.
A mother who has had a Caesarean section is unable to fly until at least 10 days after the birth.
Airline officials explain that the reasons for these rules are that medical risks, such as hemorrhage, blood clots or the baby getting into breathing difficulties are just too high.
We always advise contacting your doctor /midwife /health visitor if you have any intention of flying within the first 8 weeks

Thanks! That's really helpful! It's a shame, I'd love to go to their wedding but realistically, it's in Thailand and we won't feel ready or confident!

A xx
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back